Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is there a good clean diesel available?

Options
  • 20-12-2006 2:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭

I want to try and start filling up at the same garage from now on ,but I'm not sure whats regarded as the best/ cleanest diesel fuel at the moment??
    Texaco/Shell/Esso/Statoil ??
    Forgive me if I'm being stupid and there is no difference

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Does anybody know are any of the Shell garages in Ireland selling Shell V-Power Diesel

Oh did you decide what car you're going to buy yet?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Fletch ,I'll keep my eye out for the shell diesel.
    I wreckon after crimbo I'll hunt down either a 320D bmw or an octavia.
    Still getting the hang of the new 1.8 civic ,it's actually faster than the stats that honda give.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I don't think Shell sell V-Power Diesel over here .. I've never seen it anyway. I've used both that and BP Ultimate Diesel over in England, and it really does make a difference both in power, reduced noise levels and fuel economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

_Brian_ wrote:
    I want to try and start filling up at the same garage from now on ,but I'm not sure whats regarded as the best/ cleanest diesel fuel at the moment??
    Texaco/Shell/Esso/Statoil ??

It all comes from whitegate around cork anyway! :)

I find it hard to believe the BP ultimate hype, but I have never used it, so i can't really comment.

The cleanest diesel is stuff that comes from a tank that has not been filled in 24 hours. We have our own tank at home, and the amount of sediment that gathers in the bottom is unreal. The stuff is generally far from clear after being delivered too.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

maidhc wrote:
    I find it hard to believe the BP ultimate hype, but I have never used it, so i can't really comment.
    I was cynical too, but I was pleasantly surprised. The very first thing I noticed after only a very short while was the reduced noise level.

It must be quite a depressing job being a petrochemical engineer, spending all that time, effort and money making a product that actually is better and then have people just think you're trying to scam them :)

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies ,I got the first oil change done on the van at 17K today.
    It's amazing the difference the oil makes ,no sluggish/delay taking off . Nice and smooth exceleration like I just chipped it.
    Maidhc ,going by what you say ,I'll keep the tank over the half full mark from now on and that should keep the crap at the bottom.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Give the engine a good workout once in a while (once it is well warmed up), and it will keep your engine airways a lot clearer. Its important to give a diesel engine a good seeing to now and again!:D

Ever look at a coked up EGR valve? A good hard drive now and again is similar to sweeping your chimney.

I wasnt sure a certain person was once taking the mick with me.
    but they said that adding petrol to a tank of diesel helped clean the enigne??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Would there be any advantage in dropping the tank and cleaning out the sediment? I assume a 98 diesel would have build up some?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

fletch wrote:
    Does anybody know are any of the Shell garages in Ireland selling Shell V-Power Diesel

Oh did you decide what car you're going to buy yet?????

I think Shell opposite Glasnevin Cemetery stock it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭phill106

dam, i was perfectly happy with my "normal" diesel, now that i know there is a vpower one, i want it! dammit!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

How much is the v-power diesel?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

How much is the v-power diesel?
    In England it's 5-7pence more expensive than regular diesel...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

_Brian_ wrote:
    I wasnt sure a certain person was once taking the mick with me.
    but they said that adding petrol to a tank of diesel helped clean the enigne??

DON'T even dream of doing this to a modern diesel engine. Common Rail diesels depend on the lubricity of diesel oil within the fuel pump. Any impurities (including petrol) will cause premature failure of the pump, and components such as injectors.

You can get away with a small amount of petrol in older diesels - was it used as an anti-waxing additive in cold weather??

Advertisement