Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New lights on Oliver Plunkett St

Options
  • 20-12-2006 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭

I personally don't like them too much, but does anyone know if the different colours mean anything?

The first time I saw them, they were blue. Then they were pink the following week, and on Sunday night they seemed to have pink ones from Grand Parade as far as the Brog, and then purple the rest of the way.

What's going on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

yeah they're weird alright, i was wondering if the colour change was supposed to mean something too or maybe its just random.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭trixter

I spend a considerable amount of time in the evenings on that street (in the area of 7 hours a day 25 days a month - pints are the elixir of life). I have noticed that the lights are sometimes on a slow progression to change from one colour to another for no aparent reason.

I have tried to corelate it to the time of day, day of the week, etc and so far I havent noticed any obvious pattern. If the pattern isnt that obvious it would be meaningless as most people wouldnt be able to use the light colour for anything, at least in my opinion.

I also couldnt put a pattern to the 3 bulb high ones vs the 1 bulb high ones. Those too seem to be at random intervals.

I think they change colour at random just to be 'pretty'. I personally dont find them that pretty. Some have already been knocked over, both by cars as well as the trucks that pick up the empty kegs. I wonder if anyone considered the maintainence costs to keep them up and running, I heard the installation itself cost a small fortune.

They do give the people that can barely stand at night something to stare at for hours once they have been ejected from a bar and are laying in the street almost passed out. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

The high ones seem to denote junctions.

Have ye noticed aswell the size difference in them? some are really tall and some are tiny. Wieeeerrrrrd man...

T.Sc.

yeah that was the '3 light vs 1 light' thing I was talking about a little in my rather long monologue :P There doesnt appear to be a pattern, they arent evenly spaced, they arent infront of any specific type of street/establishment/etc.

There might be some pattern when you look at them from a distance, but that is nearly impossible to do given that both sides of the street have 3+ story buildings on them. I think that too is more or less at random as a result.

I think, but am not sure, that the goal there was to prevent a runway like effect from all the lights being the same height. Just some visual breakup.

• Advertisement

ned78 wrote:
    The high ones seem to denote junctions.

perhaps, but there are high ones for example in front of subway and an bodhran, while there is a street between them, neither is right at the corner, and they arent even an even amount from the corner. I think the ovens has high ones in front of it too, although I am not totally sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

sounds like a runway for UFOs

comet wrote:
    sounds like a runway for UFOs

Due to the classified nature of this I can neither confirm nor deny any UFO allegations. The boys at Mount Gabriel have already read this thread and should be knocking on your door soon :P

Advertisement