Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Renault Megane Scenic 97 Immobiliser problems

Options
  • 20-12-2006 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    Need urgent help with this. My G/F and have a 97 Renault Megane scenic and there seems to be a problem with the key for the immobilser. I will try and keep this as short as I can. We have the car about 3 months or so and about 1 month ago it started to cut out in traffic. We got the battery, starter and alternator checked and all was ok. Someone suggested the key in the blip (key for central locking and immobiliser) could be dodgy. My GF rang a renault dealer who gave her a code to override the immobilser entered via the dash. Problem is the dash won't come on at all. She is stuck in work for the second day with the car outside and really needs to get it going. The guy in the renault dealer was not very helpful at all and suggested the battery be charged but we only had it checked in the last couple of weeks and its fine.
    Has anyone seen this before and if so could you suggest anything we could try to get it going. I saw on the internet that the keys go out of synch sometimes and have to be re- synched to the car.
    Any advice greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Sham.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

It's hard to know where to start with this one.

Cutting out in traffic would not be an immobiliser problem. The keys do give trouble but again would not cause it to cut out. When it cuts out does it restart again with no problem? Crank sensor is common and will cause it to cut out.
    The code for the immobiliser should be input from the central locking button. if you need the correct procedure to do this I will post it for you.
    Does the central locking work from the plip? and from the button inside?
    You say the dash will not come on at all, what exactly do you mean by this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Hi,
    Thanks for the prompt reply. The central locking does usually work from the blip, changed the batteries yesterday and its not working today. The central locking is working from the inside. What I mean by the dash not coming on is nothing is happening when key is put in , just like battery is dead but we were told the charge was fine on it but we dont know for sure. Any procedure you could tell us would be great as we need the car for Xmas.
    Many thanks
    Sham.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Is there a chance she could have left lights etc on while she was in work? Could be two unrelated issues (her leaving lights on & immoliliser issues) that by chance happened on the same day and made it look like one problem.

it is a possibility but she is usually very careful when it comes to checking lights.
    She said she checked them.
    Thanks for the reply

Hi,

A 97 scenic needs the plip to work to disable the immob. but the first thing to get checked is the battery. If the battery is ok and you still have no dash lights then no code is going to help because you have an electrical/elecrtonic problem. If the battery is dead and sorting that gives you dash lights again then you can try the code. If the plip works there is no need for the code either. Yes the plip can lose its coding but the code should sort that if the plip itself is ok. Plips also go faulty and can sometimes be repaired. the reciever for the plip signal is above the rear view mirror and these suffer water ingress too. There are also a lot of common wiring faults but I dont recall ever seeing one with a completely dead dash.

Probably the best advice I can give you is to get someone to check battery and if that does not sort it then get it to a good diagnostic man or failing that a dealer. This side of Christmas i would think you have no chance.

• Advertisement

Thanks a million, i am on the way up to the car with the girlfriends uncle.
    I will let you know how we get on. Thanks again for all your advice.
    Happy Xmas.

Hi Mr Diagnostic.
    Just back from getting the car, got a jump and it started.
    We are going to get a new battery tomorrow, we are so annoyed that we were told that the battery was ok when it was not. We need to get the key for the immobilser fixed aswell.
    Thanks again for all your help.
    Sham

Hi,

Glad to hear that. Try and get someone to check the charging system as well. May be worth looking for a drain on the battery too though chances are its just a faulty battery.

Advertisement