Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL overcharging?

Options
  • 20-12-2006 4:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

ok, here's my question:

Ordered ntl starter broadband in sept, got the 3 mth free offer and the guy on the phone told me he would set me up for the max package for the first 3 mths seeing as it was free and then when I started paying down grade me to the starter package.

anyways recieved my bill to and the first 2 mths broadband bills are in it, and there both over 50 euro..one month is over 60 (the max package is 39.99) ntl have never contacted me about going over my limit and i dont think i would be anyways...

has anyone else had this experience?

oh ya and on hold to them at the mo so might get a answer sometime in 2007...

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

NTL don't charge you for going over the cap, they give you a warning and then cut you off. Are you including the price for the basic tv? I think it's 21 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 strong1

yip they have divided the bill into television and internet and into before and after vat, i dont see where they are getting the figures from... still on hold and my phone is about to die

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

you have probably been moved onto the Chorus billing system so the very best of luck with Chorus

finally got through to them and they wouldnt give any info cos the bill isnt in my name...

why would I be moved onto the chorus billing system?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Because "NTL" isn't really NTL anymore, as far as Irish consumers are concerned.

• Advertisement

but they should still be using the same pricing system, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

so what is the chorus billing system, how does it differ to NTL's?? i did get charged 40.82 , i dont know what its for... i rang, and they didnt know, ill be expecting a call tomorrow, i wont be holding my breath.... hhhmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 derekphonic

It's simple - stay away from NTL. The prices and the speeds may seem good but I would have some very serious issues with the quality of its service.

1 - NTL's customer service is terrible. You might think "how bad could it be? I know how broadband works etc", but when they start overcharging you and threatening to cut you off, you need to talk to someone, and you could be on hold for, literally, hours, and I am not exaggerating. You may never get to speak to someone. (Unless you call the sales line, and they'll hang up on you as soon as they find out you're not a new customer).

2 - the billing system is nonsense. I cannot understand it, and because I can never get through on the phone, no-one will explain it to me.

3 - 2 of the main email addresses listed on the NTL website as customer support email addresses do not work, and simply bounce back. info@ntl.ie and support@ntl.ie seem not to exist.

4 - and this is the big one, that you never hear about. Download speeds are in my experience, fine, but upload speeds are just laughable. You are talking 9/1 or 10/1 to the download speeds. Thus , NTL is pretty much useless for videoconferencing, web-serving, filesharing, or for Skype-type phone services.

I used to be with Eircom, who were a bit expensive for my tastes, but at least Eircom's service worked well, and when you called them with a problem, there was someone on the other end of the line. I never thought I'd say this, as I am a diehard eircomophobe, but I wish I never left them now. NTL is a terribly run company which deserves to be outed for the shambles it is.:mad:

DP

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

3 - 2 of the main email addresses listed on the NTL website as customer support email addresses do not work, and simply bounce back. info@ntl.ie and support@ntl.ie seem not to exist.

Dear customer

Thank you for visiting our website. As you are probably aware we introduced a new customer relations management and billing system from 27th November, 2006. The overall objective is to improve our customer service levels to you.

During this month and as expected we are experiencing an increase of calls on our customer support lines. This is primarily due to the increase in demand for services during the month of December. In anticipation we have recruited more front line agents to handle calls, in addition, this week our front line agents will be supported by an additional call centre to help us reduce the call waiting times.

We are mindful that some of you are spending a considerable amount of time holding. Let me reassure you that this is short-term and we guarantee we will reduce your holding time effective this week.

I trust the next time you contact our call centre you will find our response time much improved.

Thank you again for your patience and custom.

Kind regards

Niall McNally
    Customer Operations Director

By Telephone:

SALES:
    Free Phone 1800 234 234
    Monday - Friday 9am to 8pm
    Saturday - 9am to 7pm

CUSTOMER SERVICES:
    Free Phone 1800 321 321
    Account & Billing Queries
    Monday - Friday, 9am - 6pm

Faults / General Queries
    Monday - Friday, 9.00 am - 8pm
    Saturday, 9am - 8pm
    Sunday, 10am - 8pm

Bank Holiday opening hours:
    Faults Queries 10am - 6pm
    When contacting our call centre, please have your account number on hand.
    Please note that due to the data protection act, we can only speak to the account holder in relation to any account queries.

By Post:
    ntl, Building P2, East Point Business Park
    Dublin 3, Ireland
    tel: + 353 (0) 1 245 8000

By Email:
    online.sales@upc.ie for Sales Information
    customer.support@upc.ie for Customer Services and account queries
    jobs@upc.ie for Careers information

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Wow do you actually Work for NTL?? Or is that a quote you got from an NTL correspondence?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Wisheress

I also signed up for NTL's tv/broadbandservice; all my bills have been well over 50E although I was told they would be around 15E.

NTL 'customer service' does not exist (unless you define customer service as roomful of people who won't answer queries and are obnoxious when they do so).

I have been on hold to NTL every day this week; on one occasion I was on hold for 2 hours 45 minutes without a response. More fool me for holding but I wanted to sort this farce out.

They have not esponded to three polite emails either.

How can we highlight this problem? And resolve it?

I will never avail of their services again,

THINK VERY VERY VERY CAREFULLYBEFORE EVER JOINING UP TO NTL

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Dear customer

Thank you for visiting our website. As you are probably aware we introduced a new customer relations management and billing system from 27th November, 2006. The overall objective is to improve our customer service levels to you.

During this month and as expected we are experiencing an increase of calls on our customer support lines. This is primarily due to the increase in demand for services during the month of December. In anticipation we have recruited more front line agents to handle calls, in addition, this week our front line agents will be supported by an additional call centre to help us reduce the call waiting times.

We are mindful that some of you are spending a considerable amount of time holding. Let me reassure you that this is short-term and we guarantee we will reduce your holding time effective this week.

I trust the next time you contact our call centre you will find our response time much improved.

Thank you again for your patience and custom.

Kind regards

Niall McNally
    Customer Operations Director..................

It is typical of NTL's mindboggling incompetence and indifference that the above 'announcement' was not even dated!!!

So which 'week' is Mr McNally referring to when he talks about the additional call centre and the waiting time being reduced?

One would hope that the 'Customer Operations Director' would know that such an 'important' announcement should be dated:rolleyes:

Wow do you actually Work for NTL?? Or is that a quote you got from an NTL correspondence?

It is actually on the NTL website.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

O right I see, just from reading here to me it seems that this message is quite old??

O right I see, just from reading here to me it seems that this message is quite old??

Well if it was dated we would know for definite wouldn't we:rolleyes:

Advertisement