Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Difference Between National and American

• 20-12-2006 4:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭

I have often read stories about players switching between the two leagues and comments being made about how he mightnt be able to adapt (whether it be a pitcher or a batter) to the new league.

i'm not talking about designated hitter stuff here, i'm talking about a distinct difference in style between the leagues or even standards.
    what are the differences in styles between the two leagues?

is one league better team for team than the other?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

National League is seen as more old school, where the teams try to manufacture runs using speed, sacrifies, bunts etc. The pitcher is seen as almost automatic out and as such the man in the 8th spot is pitched aggresively due to the lack of protection, so generally this spot has a lower average. In the AL its good batters all the way (in theory) and the pitcher has to go after everyone. Generally a pitcher in NL will have a better ERA than in the NL.
    Going on interleague stats, the AL is FAR better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Well since your a Jays fan you would say that. But in my opinion the NL is far superior. Now I have to admit I have been to more AL games than NL since I lived in Toronto. The best games by far I have seen has been in the NL. In 2006 the NL outstipped the AL since St Louis Cardinals won the World Series. Next year the Mets will be champs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

The World Series is just one series. Overall in '06 the AL had a 154-98 in interleague play suggesting they're far and away the better league at the moment. The NL has the Mets, Cardinals, and maybe the Astros that are quality teams. In the AL there's the Yankees, Red Sox, A's, Angels, Tigers, Twins and White Sox (hey maybe even Toronto)
    Why do you think the NL is superior? What makes you say the NL games you were at were 'better by far'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭triple h

well the very first games i saw were NL games, so i am an NL fan. I am a mets fan cause they look like the best team to me, so i am a NL fan.

Now i am going to Toronto ( maybe i might become a AL fan,) in august to see them play 3 games V the yankee's and 3 games V texas ( so maybe i might become a AL fan.)

But baseball is baseball, i would watch and enjoy any game NL or AL, but I think the main reason i like the NL is because the pitcher bats. I think the pitcher should bat. Think about it---
    1) ask anyone in the world what their image is about baseball and i am full sure they can see someone batting.
    2) any kid playing baseball for the very very very first time would want to bat, it makes sense. Why would someone playing for the very very very first time just want to pitch?

So i reckon everyone should bat, it does not look right to see someone not bat.

Anyway i am really looking forward to going to Toronto, even though its AL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭free2fly

triple h wrote:
    well the very first games i saw were NL games, so i am an NL fan. I am a mets fan cause they look like the best team to me, so i am a NL fan.

Now i am going to Toronto ( maybe i might become a AL fan,) in august to see them play 3 games V the yankee's and 3 games V texas ( so maybe i might become a AL fan.)

But baseball is baseball, i would watch and enjoy any game NL or AL, but I think the main reason i like the NL is because the pitcher bats. I think the pitcher should bat. Think about it---
    1) ask anyone in the world what their image is about baseball and i am full sure they can see someone batting.
    2) any kid playing baseball for the very very very first time would want to bat, it makes sense. Why would someone playing for the very very very first time just want to pitch?

So i reckon everyone should bat, it does not look right to see someone not bat.

Anyway i am really looking forward to going to Toronto, even though its AL.

The AL uses the DH so that they can put more power in the lineup.

In my experience I've never seen a player have any problems switching from the NL to the AL or vice versa. It's still the same game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 RadioActive

Much more strategy involved with the NL because of the pitcher batting. That's basically an automatic out, so late innings you need to be aware and prepare for the pitcher batting. And yeah, NL does try and manufacture runs where the AL just gets people on base and tries to keep them there so somebody can drive them all home with one swing of the bat. They're both fun to watch and it usually depends on who you grow up rooting for as to which league you like better.

Advertisement