Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HOME NEEDED: Gerbils

Options
  • 20-12-2006 4:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to rehome some pets, unfortunately we have discovered my son is allergic to them and they will have to go (well, it was them or him!:p )

The main cage is huge - easy to clean plastic with play tunnels, etc. Included is a second cage to transfer the gerbils when the main cage is being cleaned. I have a small supply of bedding and food that I can include - and of course the water bottles, feeders and exercise wheel.

I'm in the Dublin 15 area - it would be great if someone could collect but I am also willing to deliver them (within a reasonable distance!!!:D ) .

Please message me if you can offer them a home, and l be in contact with you as soon as possible,

Cheers! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

I'd get rid of your son... hahaha

sorry just thought it was funny!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Now are you sure he is allergic to them? If you are using woodchips then it is most likely the bedding he is allergic to an not the gerbils.

Wash out their housing with white vinegar, throw out the woodchips and swtich to Carefresh bedding, it's available in most pet shops now if not they can order it and in the mean time you can use newspaper/plain white kitchen roll and chinchilla sand.

There is a high chance it's the bedding that is causing the allergies so he may just be able to keep them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 lollipops

heya.my son is mad for a pet.i would gladly take them off your hands.just one question!do they smell??im in balbriggan so im a bit far away but i could meet you half way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Gerbils do not smell! They are a dessert animal & drink very little water therefore they urinate less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Not a good pet to keep in a bedroom though, they *constantly* claw and knaw at corners of cage / aquarium and the noise can be VERY disruptive to sleep.

(Bitter experience, 2 gerbils, even though housed in a 4 foot aquarium with plenty of chewy toys, and 6" of substrate, spent their nights "burrowing" at corners, gawd, the sleep I missed!) ;)

B

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Agree with keeping them in the bedroom, mind you as a teenager I had a gerbil and a hamster housed side by side in my room but I got used to the noise in the end. Although now I think it would drive me to distraction lol. The family room like sitting room is a good place to house them where there will be people coming and going.
    They don't smell, unless you don't clean them. Once a week is usually enough depending on the size of their housing. Carefresh bedding absorbs odours better. All in all they are a very clean pet, exept for throwing bedding out of their cage hence why a tank is much handier plus you can see them getting up to mischief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

I'm in D15 too and can offer them a home, pm me if you still have them;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Oh definitely, the BEST way to keep em, in an old fishtank (at least 2 foot long), GREAT fun to watch, no throwing out bedding (ever tried getting sawdust out of the carpet?) and best of all, you dont have to clean out the place as often, if its big enough then really partial changes will do! :)

B

Advertisement