Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Port forwarding question

Options
  • 20-12-2006 5:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

I got my La fonera wireless router yesterday (thank you boards.ie). I already have a router with three Lan ports and one ATA phone port for VOIP so I need to keep that for my phone line. On that router I had a number of ports forwarded to the I.P. address of my computer but since I connected the La Fonera router to one of the Lan ports on my existing router, the I.P. address of my computer has changed. Now, I know how to set up the port forwarding on both routers but what I'm looking for is some advice on what the best setup would be.

For example, should I now either:

1. Set all the port forwards on my old router to go to the La Fonera and then set the same ports on the La Fonera to forward them to the I.P. address of my computer?

2. Set all the port forwardson my old router to go directly to the I.P. address of my computer, i.e. - have no port forwarding on the La Fonera?

or

3. Have no port forwarding on the old router and let the La Fonera handle all the forwarding?

Would any of these work?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

What are you going to connect onto this?

I mean what is your internal network layout? how many wireless clients and how many desktops? Do they need to talk to eachother or only have web access?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

Wcool wrote:
    What are you going to connect onto this?

I mean what is your internal network layout? how many wireless clients and how many desktops? Do they need to talk to eachother or only have web access?

Ok, the setup is as follows:

My broadband modem connects to my old router by cable via a lan port. One cable connects voip port to phone ( that part works fine). Another cable connects one of the Lan ports from the old router to the to La Fonera router. Only one desktop is connected so there is no Lan as such, just internet access which I would like to get working as well as it did when I only had one router! I can get access to the internet but some of the programs that require port forwarding, e.g. a bitorrent client, are showing the DHT as being firewalled but NAT is ok :confused:

Thanks for responding Wcool - if you could help it would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

not a wireless issue. Moving to Net/Comms

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

If I understand you correctly, you don't need the Fonera at all?

I think the easiest way would be to assign a fixed ip address to your computer.
    Lets say 192.168.1.10, you will have to enter this in your Windows network settings (right click on Network Neighbourhood, right click on LAN connection, Properties of Internet Protocol)

And you have to set it up in your router as well that your desktop always gets 192.168.1.10
    Basically you switch off DHCP (dynamic handout of ip addresses) and switch to a fixed layout. How to do this in your router differs per brand but there will be an option. basically every router has a WAN part and a LAN part.
    Don't touch the WAN part, but look in the LAN part for this.

Advertisement