Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First time Linux'er problems

• 20-12-2006 5:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

Hey, finally got my laptop back, and so went to work installing WinXP and Slackware on my machine. Had some problems, getting both installed but finally got it working. Made some mistakes along the way im sure, but I'm writing this post from Xwin Slackware so, not all bad :)

Hard Drive is 80gb and divided something like this:
    10gb Windows XP NTFS partition
    10gb Linux "Standard Linux file system" partition
    1gb Linux swap partition - Is that huge? I didnt know a good size, so I went with what WinXP usualy uses for a page size roughly.

and finally 59gb Partition currently in some obscure FAT fs, picked the wrong one will fix that later.

Ok so here's my problems:
    Mouse wheel works fine, but the middle mouse button is funky in firefox. It opens new tabs for links when I press it on a link or bookmark which is what I expected, but its when I click it on an existing tab it just seems to load random pages which is pretty crazy.

Filesystem: Seems everytime I boot into Windows XP, or maybe it's not tied to that but thats just what it *seems*, so better descripition would be "occaisionally" on boot up Linux starts complaining about the file system, heres the message it gives.

/dev/hdc2 contains a file system with errors, check forced

It either fixes them or tells me to log into maintanance mode or something and to run: e2fsck -v -y /dev/hdc2

which fixes it, but its worrying that my HD which is brandnew is getting hurt :(

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

For a swap file, I generally use twice what my system RAM is at the time. Thats probably overkill, but better safe than sorry, and its not like its a huge amount of space we're talking about.
    its when I click it on an existing tab it just seems to load random pages which is pretty crazy.
    I'm seeing the same thing in every version of Firefox that I have seen on Fedora Core.

If you're using an "obscure" FAT FS, then it could be that Windows is using a slightly different version of FAT when writing to the partition, which is messing up the table as far as Linux is concerned. I have my FAT partition as vfat, which has never given me any trouble.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

DaSilva wrote:

Ok so here's my problems:
    Mouse wheel works fine, but the middle mouse button is funky in firefox. It opens new tabs for links when I press it on a link or bookmark which is what I expected, but its when I click it on an existing tab it just seems to load random pages which is pretty crazy.

Random pages, or the results of google searches for text contained in your clipboard? Test it by copying something obscure into the clipboard (simply by double clicking) and then middle-clicking on a tab.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭DaSilva

Random pages, or the results of google searches for text contained in your clipboard? Test it by copying something obscure into the clipboard (simply by double clicking) and then middle-clicking on a tab.

aha, that could be it. Do you know how to change the function of the middle mouse button?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

not off the top of my head. have you any funky extensions installed?

Otherwise check the value in about:config for
    middlemouse.contentLoadURL

Mine is false, and middle-clicking closes a tab.

Advertisement