Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cost of do dental treatment

• 20-12-2006 6:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

My Cavalier has a build up of tartar on his teeth and I'm getting them cleaned in the new year. Has anyone any idea how much this will cost?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

depends on a few things, one the weight of your dog as he has to under go general anes for it also his age as this will make a difference in the type of ga used also if any teeth need extracting is the are loose or anything. if you can let me know these i can give you a ball park figure, you can pm me if ya want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

He is about one and a half to two stone (we actually had him weighed about a week ago but I cant remember the weight) and he is two and a half years old. Don't think anything needs extracting or any are loose but the vet just mentioned it in passing and didn't go into much detail so I can't tell for sure. Thanks for your reply, hoping it's not going to be an absolute fortune!

na shouldnt be too bad, generally gets more expensive the older they are and if they have to have extractions. i would say including medication i.e. antibiotics, they are used as the tartar/palque is full of bacteria and are just a procaution in case any thing is ingested. anyway back to it two and a half stone is about 15-16kg so i would say about 120-140 euro all in. hope this helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Make sure yo use a vet who knows that KCS's are very delicate when it comes to general anesthesia.
    They are known to have severe reactions to even the tiniest amounts. So be careful and dont assume the vet will know.
    B

very true FF, generally they take that into account with the premedication. do think that a vet would know this though. shorted face dogs, cute but difficult with GA!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

My two (at the time aged about 6 and 2 yrs) had to have their teeth cleaned, once just because of her age and the other because she's not allowed chews because of her delicate tum. It cost about 70 euro per dog eventhough they are different sizes but both are mixed breeds. It's probably gone up now mabey around 70 to 100 euro depending on your vet.
    Tartar started to build up on the little ones teeth again, I didn't want to put her under anesthetic again unless I really really had to so I tried those white dog bones that are filled with stuff, think they are called calcium bones usually they are shrink wrapped individually. She can only get a small amount of the stuff out of them but it needs some work so her tum doesn't get too upset but it actually took the tartar off.
    I was very suprised but it worked a treat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Do they sell these at the vet or petshop? Do you know the name of them?
    I will have to get his teeth cleaned anyway but it would be great to use them as a preventative measure after the job is done.

rasks or denti chews can be gotten in stores/pet stores or vets. dont confuse them with rawhide etc this are not good for dogs teeth. You can always brush your dogs teeth after, just use a babys tooth brush and you can buy special tooth paste from vet/pet stores but in truth most of the time the actual acting of brushing is enough to keep them clean. You don't need to get the front ones or the inside, just concentrate on the sides, as this is where does do most of their chewing, also look at his food too. Wet/tin food is not good for teeth as it sticks to them and causes more tartar a good dry food is much better!

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭trilo

The vet should have a price list if you go in and ask them. I've been getting my dogs teeth cleaned for the last 2 years under aesthetic. its cost about 70 or 80 euro, in this region anyway as i get her booster shots at the same time.
    If the dog needs any extractions or any other work done this will cost extra.
    Best thing to do is go to the vets and ask their price.

Advertisement