Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HDMI to Component Video conversion?

• 20-12-2006 6:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭

I have a Sony DVP-NS76 upscaling DVD player with both HDMI and component video outputs. However it only outputs 720p and 1080i images via its HDMI socket only. However my Sony KLV-L23 LCD TV accepts HD images through its component video inputs (Xbox 360 for example).

Is it possible to get a HDMI to component video cable to display these upscaled images to my TV? Looking on the internet I have seen DVI to component video cables only. Could you use a HDMI to DVI adaptor or cable, and then connect to it, a DVI to component video cable to show 720p or 1080i images?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

The cost of such an adapter would probably allow you to buy an upscaling DVD player that does it over component.

The reason why DVI works is because DVI support two signals over its pins one digital DVI-D and one analogue DVI-A. Those DVI to component adapters take the DVI-A signal and convert it into the component connections.

Now HDMI is all digital there is no analogue part to it so in order to convert into something like component you need a box o' tricks that converts the digital signal into analogue - these units do not come cheap.

Anyway this is the unit you would need to convert component to HDMI no idea if you can get it this side of the pond though.

{I think you may be able to buy direct from Gefen's own website but not sure, their reseller says they have no sellers in Ireland they do have a UK reseller listed who has the component to HDMI converter for sale.}

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

The cost of such an adapter would probably allow you to buy an upscaling DVD player that does it over component.

Thanks for that 8T8. Do you know of any actual DVD players that will give 720p or 1080i upscaled images via component video? Will probably buy an LCD Tv with HDMI inputs in the next year or so anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

I don't know of any players off hand that do "I think" the CSS protection DVD's use forbids upscaling over component but many companies turn a blind eye to this especially the chinese players.

I'll have a quick look and see if anything comes up.

Edit: The two most promising ways of getting upscaling over component it to get a player from NeoDigits or Oppo both sell players that do the scaling over component you generally wont find the big name brands doing that as it is technically against the rules though folks have varied opinions on whether upscaling is actually worth it with a DVD.

Advertisement