Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Date night (or day)

• 20-12-2006 6:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hope you don't mind me posting here, but i thought if i posted in After Hours i wouldn't get very many serious replies!!!

I have a date next Sat (30th) and I'm looking for ideas on what to do and where to bring the lady in question. The reason i ask is because i happen to know the lady in question is on a date tonight with another guy! heh heh..

So i obviously want to make a lasting impression. ;)

As of yet i don't know if this is a day date or night date so any recommendations are welcome. What i can say is that she is not Irish and has only been in the country for 4 months, if that helps with any ideas.

Aaaaaaannnnnnnnd begin!

Thanks guys.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Well as she's new to country why not take her to one of the museums if you're going out during the day?

The National Art Gallery on Merrion Sq is lovely to drift around for an afternoon or the National History Museum on Kildare St has some great celtic artefacts as well as all the gold and silver work from through the ages like the Ardagh Chalice.

Or how about something fun like the Viking Splash Tour around the city centre? Or the Ghost Bus at night, if she gets scared she could cling to you for support!

The Guinness brewery? The Jameson distillery?

Why not ask her what she would like to do? Or you could be her personal tour guide around the city. Work out a route that covers interesting places and learn a little nugget of info about it. (would work best on a dry day).

For an evening activity what about dinner and the theatre rather than just going to a pub or the cinema. Or maybe a concert in the National Concert Hall.

There's loads of stuff to do in Dublin :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Yeah cultural sounds good if she is interested. Free stuff is a good place to start .It also gives you time to talk.
    But failing that there is always Funderland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

I did the book of Kells for a 2nd date once :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

thanks for the advice guys...

The splash tour would be nice, but they don't run on that day:(

Art galleries are cool n all, but i dunno, it could be good, but then again it could bore her to death!!

Funderland sounds like a plan, as long as it's open then!!! Plus it's already come up in conversation between us... But apparently she loves rollercoasters, and i don't at all.. so that could work against me.. But it would be a fun date none the less..

What is funderland like in the RDS, is it skanger land by any chance? cos that would be bad!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

It's total skanger land, or it used to be when I last went about 5 years ago.

I also don't totally trust their rides not to fall apart.

re: Art gallery, why not do a run through it yourself, pick out your favourite pics and show them to her and tell her why you like them, rather than strolling around the whole thing.

Or just do the gold section in the History Museum.

Or you could always visit the Dead Animal Zoo aka the Natural History Museum, which is next door to the Art Gallery. Full of crazy stuffed dead things, good for a laugh :)

btw all the museums are free to visit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Start with Funderland early afternoon, followed by a nice dinner and fine wine as the night falls, then a steamy film?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lorax

Funderlands a deadly buzz I was there last year, not even for the rides but the games u can play to win things are good craic. Or u could bring her funderland and ice skating, then maybe dinner and pub/club that night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Guinness tour ftw!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I did the book of Kells for a 2nd date once :)
    You slut;)

Googling..........
    On a more serious note, I some singer called Albert Niland is playing in Bewleys at 8:30 (brochure). I vaugely remember hearing that he is good.

Farmleigh house is showing some special cribs that day, during the afternoon. (it's free in:) }

Annie is on in the National Concert Hall.

If you want to do something unusual with her.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

thanks for the advice guys...

The splash tour would be nice, but they don't run on that day:(

Art galleries are cool n all, but i dunno, it could be good, but then again it could bore her to death!!

Funderland sounds like a plan, as long as it's open then!!! Plus it's already come up in conversation between us... But apparently she loves rollercoasters, and i don't at all.. so that could work against me.. But it would be a fun date none the less..

What is funderland like in the RDS, is it skanger land by any chance? cos that would be bad!
    I'd give it a miss if this is the case...depending where she is from she is possibly used to huge scary rollercoasters...she won't think much of the baby rollercoaster in Funderland that FITS INDOORS and even less of you if you are afraid to go on it :D
    Maybe iceskating is a good idea, lots of fun, exercise to get the adrenaline pumping & you'll both work up an appetite for dinner after wards ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Tin Goddess

what about smithfield on ice .... then the christmas market up near the custom house .. an easy luas ride away from eachother and ice skating is a great way to brak the ice as you cant help but laugh when you both first get on the ice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

How old are you both?

Funderland? Jesus, unless you are under 20 I would highly recommend against it.
    Dinner is nice if you can hold a conversation, then drinks, a walk around town if she doesnt drink, then go for a coffee somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Ice skating is the best suggestiong IMO, it'd be a good laugh, with many delightful moments when you could fall in into each others arms, just like a cheesy romance movie *sigh* :o

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

what about smithfield on ice .... then the christmas market up near the custom house .. an easy luas ride away from eachother and ice skating is a great way to brak the ice as you cant help but laugh when you both first get on the ice
    Unfortunately that Christmas market is over on 23rd December so it'll be gone by then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Zoo ... and thats the bottom line!

No the Zoo is rubbish compared with other countries . Its laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Kebab

Funderland = knackeragua - don't bring her there unless you want to stick out in her mind for all the wrong reasons!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 490 ✭✭delop

Try the Bram Stoker Museum in Westwood, in Fairview....

Its not just for kids, Spooky a little, and a bit naf too, but ye can laugh at those bits....

Dont go to the Guinness Gravity bar, its expensive and I thought pretty scanty..

Hey thanks for all the responses guys...

At the moment i'm thinking the Dublin City tour bus, it goes lots of places and it would take a good chunk of the day out, we could head to guinesses and a couple of the museums, smithfield tower etc and the zoo(i've never been but it can't be THAT bad!!)... So that would be fun yeah?

Then maybe onto a meal and drinks..

Ice skating is ok but afaik she was only there in the last few days.

Keep em coming tho;)

Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I know this sounds crazy, but maybe you could do something outside of Dublin...? There's a whole other country out here y'know :) She might enjoy being out of the city if she hasn't before, and you could score brownie points for doing original, non-touristy stuff. Hire a car and drive to Connemara or even the Wicklow mountains or something.

• Advertisement

'I think me (more or less a stranger) driving her out to the Wicklow mountains may be a bit much for the first date;) Thanks though:)

The city tour is still the main option, as quite frankly there's nothing else hahaha...

My next question is for somewhere to eat.. I don't think eddie rockets is gonna cut it haha

So any recommendations of places to eat in the city centre? nothing too fancy but no fast food either.. Somewhere quiet enough but rather romantic and not too hard on the wallet and no more than one knife and fork hahaha'

Advertisement