Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Safe to resize used partitions?

• 20-12-2006 7:51pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have a secondary data disk divided into a 140GB partition and a 60GB partition. The 60GB is currently empty and useless while the 140GB is almost full. Is it safe for me to unmount the disk and combine the partition with qtparted? Assuming I delete the smaller one, can I just make the larger one inactive and extend the size of it, or will I risk losing everything that's on it? If there's a risk, I can simply copy data from one partition to the other.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

yeah I've done it with NTFS partitions before... it's fine :)
    now I use the whole 250GB SATA disk I have for Linux though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

I've never had a problem extending a partition. I have, however, run into problems shrinking a partition.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Hmm, deleted the small partition, but qtpqrted is not offering me the option of extending the larger one into its place. What other partitioning tools are there out there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

I used SuSE 10 to shrink my Windows partition [NTFS] a few months back. Lost everything for the first time [has since happened twice for other reasons].

So I'll say what everyone else preaches: backup, backup, backup.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

haven't had any problems using the knoppix boot cd for this
    qtparted calls ntfsresize so very handy but you can run ntfsresize in a console to check all is well first.

advice, delete any files you don't need, do a defrag, so all the data is at the start of the partition and scandisk on the drive too, as linux & co won't be able to fix any ntfs problems

• Advertisement

It's an ext3 partition. I tried to expand it yesterday, but had to leave for work. When I came back my girlfriend had rebooted the PC, having clicked away any windows that were covering up Skype. "There was some kind of error messag I think..." I don't seem to have lost any data, but the resizing failed.
    Not sure if I'll risk it a second time.

Well, I did, and the PC crashed after 5 minutes.
    Hmm, time to reformat for the third time this week? *grumbles about that lovely stable OS from those nice men at Redmond.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

*grumbles about that lovely stable OS from those nice men at Redmond.

Stable and Microsoft don't go together. Personally I find Linux to be way more stable than Windows XP.

OK, finally got gparted to resize the partition after three crashes.
    Luckily nothing seems to be lost. However, although gparted tells me that /dev/hdb1, mounted at /media/supersize is 189.92GB, bash, krusader etc. tell me that it's still 145GB. I tried umount and mount to see would it change the recognized size, but I think some info in fstab might be telling the OS how many blocks to mount at /dev/hdb1
    I haven't rebooted yet, that said.
    # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
    proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
    # /dev/sda3
    UUID=23cd75dd-8522-4cc8-8026-43d34facd54f /               ext3    defaults,errors=remount-ro 0       1
    # /dev/sda1
    UUID=38771644-df5d-4863-95ef-4abcf0a9c696 /boot           ext3    defaults        0       2
    # /dev/sda4
    UUID=6aca9cac-5354-4183-bf88-68e9e62bed9a /home           ext3    defaults        0       2
    # /dev/hda6
    UUID=f3466d96-c519-11d7-9a37-a027fa319c88 /media/oldhome  ext3    defaults        0       2
    # /dev/hda7
    UUID=bb8c5418-a024-4cc0-a287-4b1b083042af /media/oldsystem ext3    defaults        0       2
    # /dev/hdb1
    UUID=f084d777-e5ba-49df-b71b-729b2c0d2475 /media/supersize ext3    defaults        0       2
    # /dev/sda5
    UUID=7db0edf9-d00d-4b15-a5c3-c738a9091488 none            swap    sw              0       0
    /dev/hdd        /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto     0       0
    /dev/hdc        /media/cdrom1   udf,iso9660 user,noauto     0       0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Jakkass wrote:
    Stable and Microsoft don't go together. Personally I find Linux to be way more stable than Windows XP.

I find both to be rock solid, though I don't use XP any more.

• Advertisement

Same after reboot, with a twist. Gparted tells me I'm using 175GB of the 189GB partition, QTparted says I'm using 131GB of an 189GB partition and df says my partition is only 145GB, 131GB is used and there are 7.2GB remaining!

Now, I'm no mathematician, but something doesn't quite add up (or subtract) there.

FWIW qtparted gives this error on shutdown:
    Error: File system was not cleanly unmounted! You should run e2fsck. Modifying an unclean file system could cause severe corruption.

I've run e2fsk as root on the device, but it ran for less than a second and gave no output.

Have I accidentally activated some sort of fileystem double accounting mode, and if so, where can I find my tax-free 40GB?

Found it (with a little help). I needed to resize the filesystem along with the partition with
    resize2fs -p /dev/hdb1

Advertisement