Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shane Warne set to retire from international cricket???

• 20-12-2006 7:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭

im sure batsmen across the world are delighted with this news, as will stuart Macgill

but im a bit disappointed, sure he`s the thorn in the english teams side but the fella can still do it, he certainly hasnt lost any of his ability, and his batting isnt the worst either

a sad day for cricket if true

what do you lads think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Lucrative contract with Channel 9 + making it up with the wife = retirement.

Legend.

My concern would be that Murali will overtake him in the record books, 700 test wickets deserves to stand for 10 years, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

yeah, but lets be honesteven if he goes on for another 4 2 years, isnt murali younger than him, so he`s gonna surpass him anyway, pity though, he`s so good he deserves the record for a while

rumour has it McGrath will quit as well, i can understand that, he`s hardly been his bullying best this series has he

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

McGrath said on SSN that he was'nt about to make any announcment.

I can understand Warne calling it a day he's prone to putting the pounds on and it gets hard to shift them as middle age looms, that plus the money from C9 ;) He's going out on top.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭decies

Will miss warnie and haveing the pleasure of seeing him play in antigua.
    Players of his calibare dont come around very often.
    Where do you stand on the murali or warne who is better debate ?
    I just feel that murali got most of his wickets on sub continent spin friendly wickets but i may be wrong with those facts......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

It's official now

Goodbye Warney. His retirement, coupled with the rest of the core of the Australian side (Mcgrath first, then a few of the core batsmen in a few years) that has dominated cricket for a decade is going to make things very interesting. Macgill's almost 36 so he's not gonna be able to take Warne's place for very long, if it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

decies wrote:
    Will miss warnie and haveing the pleasure of seeing him play in antigua.
    Players of his calibare dont come around very often.
    Where do you stand on the murali or warne who is better debate ?
    I just feel that murali got most of his wickets on sub continent spin friendly wickets but i may be wrong with those facts......

But then Warne got to play against a lot of series against some very weak English batsman ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Definitely a sad moment for cricket, as the best ever spin bowler bows out at the top of his game. While some of his off-field antics have let him down, without a doubt he's one of the best bowlers to watch - he'll be missed, definitely.

As regards Murali, I prefer Warne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

TrueDub wrote:
    Definitely a sad moment for cricket, as the best ever spin bowler bows out at the top of his game. While some of his off-field antics have let him down, without a doubt he's one of the best bowlers to watch - he'll be missed, definitely.
    agree with that,a sad day for cricket

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

yep a sad day but i'm delighted to have been fortunate to see him bowl in the last ashes series, i was at lords and had a great view from behind his arm and the amount of turn he got was amazing, a great great player. he's going to have to stop starting every sentence with 'look' if he's going to be a good commentator though....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

He'll be a better one than Nick Knight! :D

It will be interesting to see when will Channel 9 pick him up, I'd have thought he'd have been tapped up already, but, I remember he was sacked before by Channel 9, so maybe they are giving him a little time before he does.

And its not as if Channel 9 hasn't got enough commentators at present, but there will be a changing of the guard quite soon, despite having jobs for life from Kerry Packer. Benaud and Lawry will go in a couple of years, one would feel. Greig and Chappell will be shuffling on soon too. So Ian Healy and Mark Taylor have bedded in now, and with Mark Nicholas and Michael Slater there too, Shane Warne's may well be in the right place at the right time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

McGrath announces retirement! After the world cup.

Mike.

Advertisement