Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Downtuning a super car

Options
  • 20-12-2006 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Nearly have enough save up for my Lamborghini Murcielago LP640 (bullsh1t) and I was just wondering, can you downtune these cars so they run economically on Irish roads so you get more than 12 miles per gallon? I love the car but don't want to be filling it up with petrol every day. And would it be possible to give it it's max by reversing the downtune if I went to the Autobahn or something:D ?

How would a car like the LP640 compare to a 1L Ford Fiesta Miles Per Gallon wise?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

I heard somewhere that diesel is a very economical way to fuel your car - why not try filling the car with that - it'll be ages before you use it all up:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

If you care about fuel efficiency you're clearly not wealthy enough to buy a Murcielago :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

hehe, sssh, I care about the environment ;) (I actually do!)

but yes, saving any bit of money I could on such a spend would be wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭$Leon$

Buy a second car for everyday. Keep the Lambo for the weekends. Wouldn't imagine it's too practical for everyday use never mind about the cost of fueling it for everyday use.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I presume they require 98RON or higher which is like hens teeth here so presumably they are all remapped to suit the crap Irish petrol stocks. Should a need for fuel efficiency be required then Im sure it was included in the remap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

Perkins still do a diesel conversion for cars like that, and fitting some transit springs as well will mean it'll cope better on the Irish roads :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

I find that the friction motor in my son's Countach is very economical, although driving it in heavy traffic can be a bit unnerving. Also if I'm being completely honest it dosn't cope with steep hills very well either! ;)

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Did someone say LP640?

Out of talent? or is it coincidence and goes with the territory?
    http://www.lambounfall.de/indexe.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

ciarsd wrote:
    Did someone say LP640?

Out of talent? or is it coincidence and goes with the territory?
    http://www.lambounfall.de/indexe.html
    I'm a big fan of the LP640, that site makes scary reading but I guess if you are going to buy a supercar you should buy one built by Germans...

As for detuning a supercar to get good economy, don't even think about it. Buy a diesel, buy a Daihatsu Charade and convert it to LPG or take the bus.

It is possible to drive 'exotic' cars on Irish roads - so your fillings get shaken out and your car breaks down regularly but its so much better than driving an Avensis.

'cptr

I've seen stuff about them being unsafe before too:(

That site reminds me of aircraft disasters on Discovery. I wonder are the same investigations taking place to find out the cause on a car though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

wouldn't downtuning it be missing the point?

For the pure aesthetic beauty of it, no, for use on Irish roads, no, but for the super car ability, yeah:o

just buy a Hyundai Coupe - supercar looks, moulinex magimix engine :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

If you just want it for posing rights, get an old MR2 with one of those disgusting ferrari body kits ;)

Hehe, nah, it's got to be a lambo, no other cars have had the same draw as the lambo has had on me. I'm not interested in anything else really:o

how about this open top lamborghini

tractor-same-603.jpg
    turbo diesel of course, and quite good for pulling

Hmmm, I prefer this:

2007-Lamborghini-Murcielago-LP640-Stunning-New-Press-Photos-K-640.jpeg

:cool:

I'm sure you'd get a good few quid for the Transit against one of those!

Advertisement