Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Private Message Monitor Version 1.08

Options
  • 20-12-2006 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

I have created a firefox extension that will monitor your private message and subscriptions. As well as give you other features.

The instructions are contained within the zip file on how to install it and use it. Please read them!

Important!
    If you use the plugin you should subscribe to this thread. That way if there is any updates later on you will be aware of them. Any issues with this plugin please reply in this thread.

Also any comments good/bad/what to change would be great.

Version update info: 1.08
    thanks for those that pointed out the version number issue. It should now work till version 3 of firefox. Other then that nothing has changed.

Oh and please use this thread from now on. Thanks.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

When I click the icon, what should happen? I read the instructions, and it seems there should be a menu of some sort but nothing happens when I click it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

left click the icon in the bottom right.

incidently the plugin is configured for www.boards.ie

If you log into any other kind of url (eg. boards.ie ) then do the following.

1. In the address bar type about:config

2. in filter type boardsie.siteUrl

3. Double click the www.boards.ie and change it to whatever (eg. boards.ie ) and save it.

4. restart firefox.

Other preferences can be changed via the preferences dialog in the Tools menu.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Yeah, nothing happens when I left-click. I login using www. as well.

Yeah, nothing happens when I left-click. I login using www. as well.

Uninstall the plugin and reinstall the plugin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

working well for me, hobbes, good job, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Working fine for me. Good job.

Another little installation tip for you, in FF2 (not sure about earlier versions) you can open the Add-On window and drag and drop the XPI file in there to automatically start the installation.

Any reason why you don't have an auto-install/auto-update link?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Very handy. Thanks Hobbes

Any reason why you don't have an auto-install/auto-update link?

I'm lazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

That's a terrible excuse Hobbes - YOU'RE FIRED!! (until another FF update comes along ;) )

In other news, seems to work well. Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I've noticed that the icon no longer updates to 'green' despite new messages existing, and running 'Check Now'.

Has something been changed?

• Advertisement

tbh I don't know as I haven't looked it, the wiki link is broken as well.

I'd like to get boards.ie to render a txt file or xml or something tiny that can be polled rather then rendering the whole page. will allow them to throttle it at thier end that way.

However my RL is pretty busy at the moment so I am not sure if and when I can get around to fixing anything in the plugin. But if anyone else wants to do it I have no issue with it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

That extension looks great.

I tried to install it and it failed as it's 'Not a valid intall package -207' Am I doing something wrong ?

That extension looks great.

I tried to install it and it failed as it's 'Not a valid intall package -207' Am I doing something wrong ?

probably trying to install the zip?

Unzip the XPI file to your desktop then drag-drop it to firefox.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

I think I remember getting a message a while back about it not being compatible with the new release of firefox ?

I got that error aswell.

Any solution Hobbes?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Works for me:

Firefox/2.0.0.6

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Hi Hobbes

Just a heads up. I think Regi broke PM. ;) All for a good cause though. :)

erk... thing needs to be fixed somewhat anyway. Will have a look at it over the weekend. Hopefully some moist cake if I do it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Installed and working fine.

Good stuff, Hobbes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Hobbes wrote: »
    erk... thing needs to be fixed somewhat anyway. Will have a look at it over the weekend. Hopefully some moist cake if I do it. :D

Nah I thought the standard charge was coke, booze and hookers! :cool:

• Advertisement

I've created version 1.09

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055164778

Please use the new thread. I've removed 1.08 as it no longer works properly.

Advertisement