Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tin Whistle Lessons

Options
  • 20-12-2006 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Anyone giving, or know of anyone giving, Tin whistle lessons in the South Dublin area. Just starting out myself and would like some lessons if possible? Any help gratefully appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

I could recommend someone for you in North Dublin, Bayside, if thats any use to you? Otherwise maybe find out if theres a Ceoltas anywhere near you.

A couple of online resources you might find useful:

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewforum.php?f=1
    http://www.rogermillington.com/siamsa/brosteve/index.html

A couple of good books you can get in Waltons, be sure to get the CD versions:

Ireland's best tin whistle tunes part 1
    A complete guide to learning the Irish tin whistle by Clare McKenna

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭mickrourke

Thanks for that Blade, I have the book you are talking about and unfortunately I live on the far southside so bayside is kinda out. I will have a look for the Ceoltas. Was at a cracking session in Clare over the weekend. Man they really know trad music.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭mickrourke

Blade you are a legend, There's a Ceoltas right beside me in Monkstown. I will remember you when I am famous and name an album after you.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

As Christy said, if it's music you want, you should go to Clare.

Glad you found a Ceoltas near you, you may be in a class with a load of kids though, that's the only thing.

Des Seery who makes flutes, pipes and whistles isn't too far from you, he's out in Bray. I'd say he'd be able to put you in contact with a good teacher if you want private lessons. http://www.seerywoodwind.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭bobzee

Peter Phelan gives good lessons to adults on Tuesday evenings at Comhaltas in Monkstown...I don't have his number but if you ring the centre in Monkstown they'll sort you out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 tinwhistletutor

There are now some great beginner lessons in tin whistle available online at www.tinwhistlelessons.com

Best regards,

John Ryan

There are now some great beginner lessons in tin whistle available online at www.tinwhistlelessons.com

Best regards,

John Ryan

In your samples you seem to tongue every single note, please tell me you don't teach beginners to do this? :)

Yes, I think it's best to tongue notes from the start. Once you get clear notes you can then smooth them by keeping the breath flowing and by softening the tongue. Regards, John

Oh right, I think I know what you mean, so that a complete beginner get's to hear what a clear note should sound like otherwise they'd be all over the place slurring them at different tones. BTW your little tutor booklet was the first one I ever bought, there was no CD with it though but I was lucky enough to win a stack load of new whistle books and CD's on ebay from someone who obviously bought them and never got into it. Best of luck with the new site!

Thanks Blade, best regards also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭premierlass

If it's ok to bump this thread, Peter Phelan does beginner and intermediate classes in the Teacher's Club on Parnell Square in Dublin. It's one of the Peoples College courses, which means that it is subsidised and fantastic value for a great class. (I'm not doing P.R. for the Peoples College - I took the class and he's a great teacher.)

Peter Phelan is great if you can get him. Great player, teacher and entertainer! He has great tunes.

Advertisement