Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cost of Volvo service etc

Options
  • 20-12-2006 10:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hey,

Bought a 00 Volvo S40 about 5 months ago. I got it from a friend who had left it sitting up for about one and a half years, he had got a company van in the meantime.

Before he stopped driving it he had to get the gearbox replaced. The car is going well at the moment, but the clutch is heavy and its sometimes hard to get it into first gear. The suspension is squeeky also, and I have a feeling that the bearings in the front wheels are gone. There is a noise coming from the wheels when slowing/stopping and taking off. Its defo not the CV joint as I have had experience with these in the past on other motors.

I was thinking of bringing it to the volvo dealership to get them to do it, as I want to get the service light turned off also, even though it has been serviced 2 or 3 times since I got it.

Anybody got any ideas of how much it would cost to get the bearings replaced?

Should I go for a backstreet garage or the volvo dealership.

Cheers,

Joker...;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

TheJoker wrote:
    Hey,

Bought a 00 Volvo S40 about 5 months ago. I got it from a friend who had left it sitting up for about one and a half years, he had got a company van in the meantime.

Before he stopped driving it he had to get the gearbox replaced. The car is going well at the moment, but the clutch is heavy and its sometimes hard to get it into first gear. The suspension is squeeky also, and I have a feeling that the bearings in the front wheels are gone. There is a noise coming from the wheels when slowing/stopping and taking off. Its defo not the CV joint as I have had experience with these in the past on other motors.

I was thinking of bringing it to the volvo dealership to get them to do it, as I want to get the service light turned off also, even though it has been serviced 2 or 3 times since I got it.

Anybody got any ideas of how much it would cost to get the bearings replaced?

Should I go for a backstreet garage or the volvo dealership.

Cheers,

Joker...;)

Ring around for a few quotes from Volvo dealers but they are known to be expensive. Like most main dealers it is the labour rather than the parts that are the most expensive part especially in the Dublin area.

A repetable backstreet mechanic will be cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

you can turn of the service light, have a look via google. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭TheJoker

Does anybody know how much it would cost to get the bearings replaced?

The only reason I suspect its the bearings is the fact that it was sitting up for 2 years.

Advertisement