Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS2 problems - Looking for dead PS2 to replace DVD-ROM Player

• 20-12-2006 11:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

My PS2 keeps giving me error messages when trying to play games or DVDs. I keep getting "unable to read disk" or "disk read error"...

I'm thinking the DVD-ROM Player is on its way... Would I be right? Anybody experience this before?

Had a look inside and it's pretty straight forward to replace so I was wondering if anybody here had a knackered PS2 from which I could get the DVD-ROM Player? or where I could find one?

Thank you in advance! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Reaver772

You probably only have to readjust the laser head their are a couple of guides online if you want to try it.

http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/hardware/ps2.ars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Yep, indeed! Did a bit of googling after posting this and what do you know! Stumbled on that exact tutorial you posted!

Could do it right now except I don't have that jeweler's size screwdriver... Oh well...

Was shocked to see a lot of PS2s suffer from this! :eek: Shame on you Sony! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I am totally sick of doing this procedure and it happened to mine after 13 months and I would be very fussy about my machine, very annoying.
    Think I am going to just go buy a new one if I can get one for around 100 mark in sales as its not worth the hassle any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭crazy_dude6662

just happend to mine and i was wondering what was wrong...
    i might try to attempt to fix it...(but it would probably blow up) but if it fails i will just get a new (second hand) one...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

keep an eye out on www.jumbletown.ie
    might even get a free working one!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭crazy_dude6662

just happened to me, got 2 new games for the ps2 and neither worked, didnt try dvds or silver or ps1 but regular ps2 games arnt working at all. im gonna try this and i hope it works! really wanted to play those games >.<

(incidently i still have a snes and the gun thingy and they both work fine. and the ps1 i had still works. proof that some older stuff can work better than new stuff)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Saruman wrote:
    keep an eye out on www.jumbletown.ie
    might even get a free working one!
    great link there Saruman! Cheers! :)
    [...](incidently i still have a snes and the gun thingy and they both work fine. and the ps1 i had still works. proof that some older stuff can work better than new stuff)
    Same here! PS1 and Super Nintendo (even my Amstrad CPC464!) still work perfectly!

Advertisement