Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

beemer 5 series

Options
  • 20-12-2006 11:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭

would i be mad to buy a 2000ish 520? fully loaded , yay or nay?
    i mean, in terms of flogging it in a year or 2 etc. and are costs more expensive that a 3 series? my bro usually does my repairs, mundane stuff like timing belts, pads, filters blah di blah.........!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Costs no more to run than same engine 3 series but will loose more value as a % (bigger they are, harder they fall).

Mike.

ps your sig stinks! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

legs11 wrote:
    would i be mad to buy a 2000ish 520? fully loaded , yay or nay?
    i mean, in terms of flogging it in a year or 2 etc. and are costs more expensive that a 3 series? my bro usually does my repairs, mundane stuff like timing belts, pads, filters blah di blah.........!

The only thing is that most BMW people on here in the know will probably tell you that the 2.2 litre engine in the 5 Series is a bit underpowered and slightly less fuel efficent than in the 320i because of the extra size and weight of the 5 Series.

I would say the 3 Series will be easier to shift after a few years, in this country anyway. The 3 Series always appealled to a younger audience than the 5.

BMW gurus like Unkel and Fay on this forum are the best people to ask.

Fey, shirley?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

It depends on how much your getting it for aswell.

mike65 wrote:
    Fey, shirley?

Mike.

Doh! You are correct Mike. Not sure who Shirley is though. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Its Fey! actually.

Anyhow the E39 was updated in 2000 with new lights, etc. The 2.0 engine was increased to 2.2L and upped by about 20bhp.
    They really are a lovely car to drive and don't feel that heavy. My 2.5L 523i has the same bhp as the 2.2 520i and is quick off the mark. Mine can also be economical if I lighten up on the right foot. I got just under 30mph on the continent with a roofbox doing over 120mph.
    It will lose money over a year or two (what car doesn't) but then again a 3er will possibly drop in values now that the new coupe is here.
    Maintenance isn't too bad - I do most of mine now. Its mostly electrical things that go however. Parts are available from a number of aftermarket places (GSF, ECP, OTTO, etc.) and working on them isn't the worst. A bentley manual will prove helpful for DIY. Get an E39 Haynes manual also - the paper is great for wiping the oil off your hands!
    Oh and they have a timing chain!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Don't call me Shirley!

OP - I prefer the 5 for a couple of reasons, one being that there appear to be less of them around, and the other is that I'm too big to drive a 3 comfortably.

Others on here are probably right - a 3 should be easier to shift down the road. Is the 5 you're looking at a 2.0 or 2.2? The 2.0 I have is a bit underpowered, but has enough power for day to day driving (re-reading that, I must be getting old!!!). The 2.2 is supposed to be much better.

If I was buying one, I'd try to ensure that it has cruise and climate, and possibly leather. Also look for a full BMW service history if you're buying BMW; should get you a better price or easier sell when the time comes.

I get an average of about 23-25mpg (urban), and my parents get about 31mpg (mixed) - I have a heavier right foot!!!

I will say that the 5 is a lovely car to drive, and if the money is right, then go for it. Whatever you decide to do, enjoy it!!!

Might be no harm to have a look at either of the links in my sig - some people on those forums have owned both 3's and 5's, so can give you a better, more informed opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Go for the 5. Great car to drive. The 2.2l engine is the one to go for or the 2.5l in the pre Sep 2000 (523i) models, unless you can afford the tax & insurance on the 2.8

if you are worried about re-sale, then buy a Honda Accord or a 320d

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Hard to go wrong with the e39 though i'd back up what others have said about being a little underpowered (then again these things are all relative to what you're used to, desire).

Great car and one of the best all round saloons out there. Lovely to drive too despite the size, it's not that big and certainly doesn't feel very big.

It comes down to price really. The launch of the E60 really brought down residuals for the E39 and frankly it's a bargain now. If you can do most of your own servicing it's a no-brainer.

Do try to get one with a decent spec though it'll be much easier to shift on because of it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Decent spec=
    * M-Tech kit
    * leather
    * digital climate control
    * CD Multichanger
    * >=17" alloys
    * sunroof
    * cruise control
    * Full service history
    * (Im too tired to think of more so) any other gizmos inside (rear blind etc)

I don't think warranty is too much of an issue as the majority of problems would be electrical and out of the warranty's cover. The only other item that I would be wary of is the cat which might go after 6 to 8 years and is 1000-1500 to replace at a dealer.

Mine also has M-Tech (AFAIK) suspension and its not too bad on my back!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

bazz26 wrote:
    BMW gurus like Unkel

:eek: I am not a BMW guru. I can name at least half a dozen regulars here that know much more about BMWs in general. Having said that, I've had a very pleasent ownership experience over the last 6 years with my BMW V8 petrol engines

I'd rather stick my genitals in a blender than to go back to driving jap cars again as I had done for many years before switching to BMW :)

Genitals in a blender eh? what with Junkyard threatening to stick pins in his eyes I feel some sort of club needs forming. Either that or group therapy! :D

Mike.

unkel wrote:
    I'd rather stick my genitals in a blender than to go back to driving jap cars again as I had done for many years before switching to BMW :)

I think you need to get out more. :p:D
    unkel wrote:
    I am not a BMW guru. I can name at least half a dozen regulars here that know much more about BMWs in general. Having said that, I've had a very pleasent ownership experience over the last 6 years with my BMW V8 petrol engines.

Well you seem to have a good knowledge of them, that's why I mentioned you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

unkel wrote:
    I'd rather stick my genitals in a blender than to go back to driving jap cars

is the blender turned on?

Advertisement