Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

30 Days - Documentary on More4

• 20-12-2006 11:20pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anybody just watch the "30 Days" documentary on More4? (Wed, 9pm)

It was one of the series introduced by Morgan Spurlock where people have to live out some aspect of another life for 30 days.

Anyhoo this time out and atheist mother of four was sent to live with a devout Christian family for a month.

I found it kind of uplifting, if only maybe because of the open attitude of the Christian mother who did her best to see through the bad perception of atheism in the US. The Christian father was a tougher nut to crack, but on the whole I don't think either "way of life" came off too bad. The huge church communities are just scary though. Once you are sucked in there you really have little chance of getting out.

The humanist group they went to visit I thought were a bit combative, but then I guess I don't live in the society that they do.

Found an excerpt on YouTube:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jjuY-r4WbA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Anybody just watch the "30 Days" documentary on More4? (Wed, 9pm)

It was one of the series introduced by Morgan Spurlock where people have to live out some aspect of another life for 30 days.

Anyhoo this time out and atheist mother of four was sent to live with a devout Christian family for a month.

I found it kind of uplifting, if only maybe because of the open attitude of the Christian mother who did her best to see through the bad perception of atheism in the US. The Christian father was a tougher nut to crack, but on the whole I don't think either "way of life" came off too bad. The huge church communities are just scary though. Once you are sucked in there you really have little chance of getting out.

The humanist group they went to visit I thought were a bit combative, but then I guess I don't live in the society that they do.

Found an excerpt on YouTube:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jjuY-r4WbA

scary, in god we trust wasn't add to the dollar bill till 1957 the middle of the red scare

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

> "in god we trust" wasn't add to the dollar bill till 1957 the middle
    > of the red scare

They added the dolorous line "...one nation under god" around the same time to the Pledge of Allegiance:

http://www.homeofheroes.com/hallofheroes/1st_floor/flag/1bfc_pledge.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Glad you posted that, I managed to Sky+ the later showing.

Overall it was nice the see an atheist argument from an 'apple pie' American mom, I think we're all 'Dawkined' out with his argument style.

However, I really got the opinion that she (the atheist) was asking for some sort of acceptance, which the Christians would begrudgingly give if she proved she was a good enough person. But in no way would the xians relent in their desire that she should be converted, at the heart of it they could just about tolerate her as an atheist, but really believe she should see the light and convert, while the atheist didn't seem to be on any mission to convert them, and she was merely looking for acceptance and tolerance.

The Christians trotted out their 'openness' arguments, but I really wonder if they would take their own medicine, and say be 'open' to Islam, or allow their kids go to an 'atheist' rock concert. The impression I got was one of 'You should be open to our beliefs (cos we're right) but we don't really need to be open to any other beliefs (cos we're right).

I could go on about the scene where they dismantle the 'theory' of evolution in their bible-study class, but I was giggling too much and would need to watch it again with a straight face to properly comment ;)

Anyway, nice program, great catch but as much and I heartily recommend the first program in this 2nd series where Spurlock spent 30 days in jail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 HealingBlight

I knew someone who knew someone who might of downloaded the torrent (<.< >.> *cough*) of it around the time it was shown over in the states, and I'm a little weary of editing in such programs, it would be hard to wrestle out of the hypocrisy of the theist guy in that youtube clip, from what I remember, I kinda felt he was a bit more 'hostile' than others throughout.

Advertisement