Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Married but not in love

• 21-12-2006 12:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I guess I know the answer already but I'm only doing what a lot of people do when they post here. I'm seeking some empathy, or possibly a wake up call to tell me that there are so many who would wish to have what I have but feel that they never will.

I am not in love with my wife, I love her but I am not in love. I am not sexually attracted to her. we have two children who I don't want to lose but I just don't know what to do.

At times like these when I feel so low, I think it would be easier to kill myself but I don't really want to do that. i want to be with someone I am in love with. Not just to fulfil the ideal of having a wife and a family, I can't do it any more. I'm sorry.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Were you ever "in love" with her, and if so, what has happened since for you to fall out of love?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

What are you looking for? What is missing that was there is the past? Does one have to love and / or be sexually attracted to someone to stay in a marriage?

Can you create a spark for your partner, that might be reciprocated?

In any case I wouldn't do anything dramatic, but perhaps look towards marriage counselling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Go back to find the reason why you got married in the first place, take out the photos and look back on things. Maybe then you can figure out the next step.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭~nop~

If you decide to leave it please please make sure you're making the right decision. You don't appreciate what you've got till it's gone and all that. Talk to her, consider marraige counselling, spend time together, try to reignite things before you take that step, but in the end if you feel you can't continue that is the time to get out of it. Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Welcome to the world of marriage. My solution is that I have an interesting job in IT so that preoccupies me most of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

for f's sake,

<snip>
    If you are going to post, do so civilly.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

notinlove wrote:
    I am not in love with my wife, I love her but I am not in love. I am not sexually attracted to her.

I know exactly what you are talking about.
    For me, I met my ex husband waaaay too young, got married and 10 years later had changed so much as a person that I could not stay married to a man I was no longer attracted to. I tried for over two years, gave it my all but when it's not working, it's just not working.
    I was miserable to the point where I thought I was going insane.
    Eventually I left, best thing I ever did.
    No fights, nothing. We jointly took care of our daughter and that is the most important thing.
    You must talk to your wife, see how she feels. Whatever you do, make sure to come to an agreement with regards to you kids.

Before you decide to leave though, go to a councillor, perhaps you can get back what you've had? You owe it to the both of ye to give it your all one last time and then at least you know you tried.
    best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

For me usually the starting point is:
    "Tough **** paddy". You had the sprogs now you gotta raise them.
    Mind if I don't shed a tear for your heartbreak but the family unit becomes more important than you when considering whats best for the kids. Sin é life.

However:
    As for commiting suicide. Dont be stupid.
    If you're really gonna be that selfish and ruin your parents, brothers, sisters, wife and kids lives.................then just leave the woman. Better option.

In the end though, if you find it within yourself to handle your business and raise your kids properly then well and good.
    ie being a positive influence on their lives, being a happy person for them to come home to, showing them what love is about etc etc etc etc

If you cant do the above in your current situation then things have to change.
    ie if the relationship between your wife and yourself is not condusive to a happy home, then you gotta leave.

Advertisement