Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Clutch slipping?

Options
  • 21-12-2006 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

On my 04 Mazda 6, I often feel a bit of a shudder up through the clutch pedal as I release it (just before it's fully released), especially if I'm on a bit of a hill. This only happens in 1st gear and the car doesn't cut out or anything like that.

Could this be the clutch slipping and is that something that needs adjustment or (gulp!) a new clutch?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Start with the clutch cable. Its cheap and easily fixed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Yes, clutch is worn. If you can't live with it, a new clutch will cure it.

Quick test: try pull away from standing in a higher gear (eg 3rd). If you can do it without much drama the clutch is ok.

BTW, I doubt very much that an '04 Mazda 6 has a clutch cable. The Japs did away with them 15 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

If it has a cable! To be honest, it's more than likely hydraulic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

JHMEG wrote:
    Yes, clutch is worn. If you can't live with it, a new clutch will cure it.

Quick test: try pull away from standing in a higher gear (eg 3rd). If you can do it without much drama the clutch is ok.

BTW, I doubt very much that an '04 Mazda 6 has a clutch cable. The Japs did away with them 15 years ago.

Just a guess there was another poster with a similar problem on earlier. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Hal1 wrote:
    Just a guess there was another poster with a similar problem on earlier. :o
    No worries. VAG and other lesser makes still use cables. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Lemo wrote:
    On my 04 Mazda 6, I often feel a bit of a shudder up through the clutch pedal as I release it (just before it's fully released), especially if I'm on a bit of a hill.

My mondeo used to do that.

It got better all by itself, and the clutch has since done 100k.. and still going strong. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Lemo

I'll try the 3rd gear thing. The car is under warranty until May but I'm wondering how I can prove there's a problem. They may just say there's nothing wrong with it in the hope that it will last a few months longer...

Thanks for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Kaskade

Sounds more like a release bearing than the clutch its self you should get them to check it while its under warranty you'll be kicking yourself it it goes outside of warranty and you paid for the warranty in the price of the car,

I had a mazda 6 for a while great car!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

My clutch slipped at lunch going up a steep hill.

I pressed the clutch down, in second, took my foot of off and accelrated and revs went up and then back to normal.

Start saving for a new one soon.

Advertisement