Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Raptors really worth the money??

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

No worries mate. Yeah....I guess it would be big help moving around large files. I am just a regular user / gamer. Only have 1 raptor at the moment anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Plus I went from Raptors in RAID 0 to Seagate .10's in RAID 5, and it was quite a shock to my system and I havent done any A/V stuff yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Ahh yes, had a video editing/photo shoop rig once with raid 0 160gig drives. Was pretty fast I thought, untill I played around with a 15k 74gig SCSI drive with a Raid5 array for storage. There is always something better around the corner.......

That being said, anybody else played with raided 10k 2.5inch Vertical SAS drives yet. Making me really consider not upgrading for a while just to save up for a pci-ex controller and 3 of them. Would finally stop any slowdown in my system.

Btw, last format I got rid of raid 0 raptors, now one is for games other Windows and a swap file. Found it useless for me, and they died too many times for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

krazy_8s wrote:
    Really? I have had 3 die on me in 2 years.

Bloody hell! I'd say you've been very unlucky. Anyway you were covered by the nice 5 year warranty, surely?

Raptors are generally considered to be of similar reliability to SCSI drives, way ahead of your ordinary 7200RPM SATA drive - hence WDs confidence to give a lengthy warranty on them

Advertisement