Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MotorStorm on PS3

• 21-12-2006 12:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,580 ✭✭✭✭

Finally got my hands on Motorstorm yesterday..
    As has been highlighted elsewhere, it s a very limited game i.e. no multiplayer, no extra modes etc, but its still good fun. Only had a 45mins blast on it so far, so I haven't seen all tracks or had my hands on all the vehicles, but graphically its well beyond other racers out there, and physics appear bang-on, although I'll have to experience all cars, bikes as I said.
    ATV ride is very fast and I can see the eventual multiplayer option being very good if well implemented in the US/Euro release or Jap patch.
    Still no reason to rush out and buy a PS3 for gaming reasons, but its good to see the PS3 pushing any 360 game graphically at this very early stage.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well, Well, a lacklustre off road racing game, who would have thunk it!
    They never have any depth, outside of the Rally Driving genre anyway.
    Ah well, another good reason no to buy the overpriced hunk of plastic, wait til Christmas 07 when there is something decent to play on it.

I also reckon the only good reason to buy a games console is a gaming reason, otherwise it all seems a bit silly, I mean how many folk actually will use the extended media functions on the PS3, and how man will just play Fifa and Burnout?

Actually, I believe that the F1 game is supposed to good, given that the last F1 game I liked was F197 on the Playstation may buy a PS3 for that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

your preferences are not the same as everyone elses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,580 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    Well, Well, a lacklustre off road racing game, who would have thunk it!
    They never have any depth, outside of the Rally Driving genre anyway.
    Ah well, another good reason no to buy the overpriced hunk of plastic, wait til Christmas 07 when there is something decent to play on it.

I also reckon the only good reason to buy a games console is a gaming reason, otherwise it all seems a bit silly, I mean how many folk actually will use the extended media functions on the PS3, and how man will just play Fifa and Burnout?

Actually, I believe that the F1 game is supposed to good, given that the last F1 game I liked was F197 on the Playstation may buy a PS3 for that one.

Not everybody has bought a PS3 primarily for gaming reasons........I'm more interested in testing out its Blu-ray capabilities compared to the the standalone Pioneers and Panasonics, and as a lot of Home Cinema enthusiasts would tell you, the PS3 is a more than capable machine in that regard.
    I'm also aware of lot of people out there who are more than satisfied with it as they believe that the games will emerge for it.
    My point was just to summarize some impressions of a latest game for a new console, and I also state that I personally still think its too early for people to drop 700 quid or so, if all they want to play is games on it at given the current quality level. Launch titles are rarely of outstanding quality (Zeldas aside), but can sometimes give you glimpses of a machines potential. Motorstorm maybe lacking real depth as a racer, and be nothing more than a next-gen Kikstart, but it IS most certainly next-gen in presentation.
    I haven't seen any similar game on the 360 look as well as this title, and it its an indication of the effects, physics etc we can expect in the future, then great. Theres only a few next-gen "classics" out there that are really worthy of praise, this game isn't one of them, but it is most certainly a fun game to play and thankfully much cheaper to get from Japan, than it'll be as a Euro launch title.

As for F1, as other posters have said, not everybody tastes are the same, I think that game is a load of rubbish, simulating what has to be the most boring "sport" on Earth. Have never bought a F1 game before, and don't intend to start. The demo which can be downloaded from the US store, is just what you'd expect, some fans say its the best thing since sliced bread, personally I found it a tedious experience wrapped up in typical launch title graphics (although I dont think the demo has any of the weather effects, which do look nice in static screens).
    Bottom line is it that people are going to buy this console when it launches and it will sell out despite its cost. People were saying the same about the 360 last year which was at a "ridiculous price", and yet I remember picking up my pre-order in Game in amongst 100s of other people willing to pay whatever it took.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

I don't think anybody could say that the 360 launched at a riduculous price. How could they when the PS2 launched 5 years earlier at a higher price (higher than the premium 360).

McDermotX wrote:
    "ridiculous price"

As in the way people felt when the 360 price was announced, same as always...........I'm sure a lot of people felt it was too much money to spend on a games machine with so-so games, especially when most shops were trying their hand at forcing bundles (and lets not forget Game's special software prices on launch days +5-10€ over normal).........we can probably expect the same when the PS3 launches

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

"your preferences are not the same as everyone elses"

Well of course, thats why it's just my opinion.

As is the opinion on F1 games, I did mention that the last one I bought was in 97 yes?

As for the PS3s extended capabilities in the media arena, so what?
    I have never bought a games machine for anything other than playing games, any machine I've owned, and mostly still own, have been used for gaming.
    Why do I have to pay such a massive premium for the PS3 and all these superfluous bells and whistles that I'll seldom use?
    And of course others will take advantage of these extras, but I can't help see them as just that, extras.
    The only console I use above and beyond the normal is the Xbox, I still have my launch machine, its modded and I play Mame and Final Burn emus on it, thats it.
    The cost of the consoles I guess is ultimately not an issue, if you want it first you pay the premium, getting a console with early firmware and a small range of games, rather wait a couple of months for it to have more to offer an old gamer such as myself.

As for the 360 having so-so games, not to sure where you're going with that, the machine launched with a pretty good lineup overall, something for everyone really. The price was grand too, given the power of the machine.
    And as I said the price was never an issue once there were the games there to justify the purchase, PS3, not so sure.

CiDeRmAn wrote:

As for the PS3s extended capabilities in the media arena, so what?
    I have never bought a games machine for anything other than playing games, any machine I've owned, and mostly still own, have been used for gaming.
    Why do I have to pay such a massive premium for the PS3 and all these superfluous bells and whistles that I'll seldom use?

As for the 360 having so-so games, not to sure where you're going with that, the machine launched with a pretty good lineup overall, something for everyone really. The price was grand too, given the power of the machine.
    And as I said the price was never an issue once there were the games there to justify the purchase, PS3, not so sure.

In the end no-ones forcing you to buy a PS3 anyway, same way no-one forced anybody to buy a 360.....Sony aren't holding a gun to anyones head, they probably think they are safe in the knowledge that the PS3 will sell on its brand alone.
    From a Blu-ray point of view, it offers good value for money, considering the US Samsung BD player is the only one cheaper, and yet the PS3 is probably the best Blu-ray player on the market from an upgradeable aspect (1080p/24fps and advanced audio codec) and overall quality.
    Leaving aside its media capabilities, it will prove to be a more than capable games machine, it will just be down to the individual as to whether or not they'll want to pick one up if they already have the 360. Obviously most releases will be multi-platform, and that may even be a detriment of the PS3 given its storage advantage over the DVD-based 360. Cross-platform software houses may limit there content on such releases.
    But there'll always be the exclusives for both formats, and as such, a lot of people will end up with both........and chuck in a Wii of course :)

As for the 360 launch games, personally I thought it was a very poor launch a year ago (not that the PS3 one is any better). Best game on the system was Project Gotham by a long way, followed by COD2...........rest of them were "meh to rubbish" to say the least with Kameo being the average of a bad bunch. Some people liked it, though I thought it was derivative and boring. Perfect Dark was a disgrace, and the less said about all the EA sports games the better. I only spent any length of time on Project Gotham, but that was over very quickly, and COD2 ? I had a much better version of it running at home already on the PC so that was a non-starter for me.
    A year down the line, there have been a few good games, but even they couldn't hold a candle to Twilight Princess on the Wii/Gamecube.
    So in the end you're going to have to decide individually on what games/consoles you feel warrant your cash.

Going a bit of topic here anyway.......started with an early impression of Motorstorm :cool:
    Played a few more of the tracks, and still appears very impressive however limited (almost like a test-run for a superior sequel).......at one point earlier, the race I was in felt like an arcadey version of Stunt Car Racer (classic) with 10 other cars..:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

played this at a demo pod in america, tripe!

not as bad as PDZ though

Vegeta wrote:
    played this at a demo pod in america, tripe!

not as bad as PDZ though

Demo pod versions in-store were of an old build.......rank with slowdown and popup. Lot of people were wondering why Sony would demo machines in store with it.
    The demo which can be downloaded from the PS Store is much improved and the retail version is again improved speed-wise and frame-rate above that. Cant recall any slowdown as of yet.
    Game has a very good feel to when driving in the mud etc, can only imagine what it would have been like with a rumble pad (although pads would have been shook to bits during races)

Hardly the vanguard of gaming knowledge they used to be, but they like it (despite the limitations I've mentioned)
    http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=152972

Advertisement