Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who for BB in Tallaght?

Options
  • 21-12-2006 1:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

I'm currently with NTL but now leaving as I'm sick of them. I have a 6 meg line and get 3 meg 99% of the time. :mad:

What BB provider ****s you around the least?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

BreadBoard wrote:
    I'm currently with NTL but now leaving as I'm sick of them. I have a 6 meg line and get 3 meg 99% of the time. :mad:

Smart may be available to you in Tallaght.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭BreadBoard

Oh yeah I think they are, thanks. Any Smart BB customers here? are you happy with them?

BreadBoard wrote:
    Oh yeah I think they are, thanks. Any Smart BB customers here? are you happy with them?

Most Smart customers are blissfully happy with them - the only drag is that you will have to change your telephone number - you dont have dsl on the line so your changover would be a little smoother - 40 euros for 4Mb and line rental:)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

BreadBoard wrote:

If you're willing to wait untill feb NTL good times will return!

Well we had our landline with them, but when they lost their landline customers we didn't bother keeping the landline... It's all a load of crap, the consumer has no options. Oh yeah and Smart require a DD too. :rolleyes: :mad:

So if I was to get Smart I'd probably have to go to €ircon to get reconnected :mad: :mad: ...

It's a joke, on the consumer !

• Advertisement

ntlbell wrote:
    Looks like I don't have much of a choice.

IBB have a pretty good service in Tallaght.

ntlbell wrote:

What exactly does that mean? A company that is behaving they way they are at the moment would not exactly encourage confidence. They are showing complete contempt for customers at the moment and that is putting it charitably to say the least. A company that does not put an address on its bills?:rolleyes:

ntlbell wrote:
    IBB have a pretty good service in Tallaght.
    Hmmm, is 2Mb that fastest they supply ?

dub45 wrote:
    What exactly does that mean? A company that is behaving they way they are at the moment would not exactly encourage confidence. They are showing complete contempt for customers at the moment and that is putting it charitably to say the least. A company that does not put an address on its bills?:rolleyes:

I'm discussing the network.

Not the fact that you're not currently getting pampered by customer service.

• Advertisement

BreadBoard wrote:
    Hmmm, is 2Mb that fastest they supply ?

I'm sure there's a 4mb package and more if you're willing to fork out for it.

?

ntlbell wrote:

They where the days.

/eh no !

Ah ha, they do 6Mb;

Monthly subscription of just €140.00
    Free Connection
    Free Modem
    Speeds of 6Mb download and 512Kbps upload
    No Monthly megabyte allowance limits†
    Dynamic IP address
    6 month contract

lol

Monthly subscription of just €72.00
    Free Connection
    Free Modem
    Speeds of 4Mb download and 384Kbps upload
    Dynamic IP address
    6 month contract

Monthly subscription of just €33.00
    Free Connection
    Free Modem
    Speeds of 3Mb download and 384Kbps upload
    Dynamic IP address
    6 month contract

^That's not too bad !

ntlbell wrote:
    I'm discussing the network.

''NTL'' and ''customer service'' should not appear on the same page.

Even if they have the best network in the world at some stage or other people will need to contact them.

People forced onto direct debits or else a surcharge.
    People hanging on phones for hours and then cut off
    People taking time off work for engineers that don't arrive.
    An arbitrary charge of 7 euros for late payment.(How is a customer to dispute charges on a bill if they cannot contact the company?)
    Customers told they will not be credited for periods of non service.
    Refusal to supply a spokesperson to RTE because they communicate 'directly' with their customers:rolleyes:
    a supervisor will not talk to a customer on the phone unless they have been without service for a minimum of three weeks.

Pampering?

dub45 wrote:
    ''NTL'' and ''customer service'' should not appear on the same page.

Even if they have the best network in the world at some stage or other people will need to contact them.

People forced onto direct debits or else a surcharge.
    People hanging on phones for hours and then cut off
    People taking time off work for engineers that don't arrive.
    An arbitrary charge of 7 euros for late payment.(How is a customer to dispute charges on a bill if they cannot contact the company?)
    Customers told they will not be credited for periods of non service.
    Refusal to supply a spokesperson to RTE because they communicate 'directly' with their customers:rolleyes:
    a supervisor will not talk to a customer on the phone unless they have been without service for a minimum of three weeks.

Pampering?

I'm not here talking on behalf of NTL.

If you're trying to prove NTL has bad customer service then you're wasting your time, it's not like it's something that's kept on the QT.

Customer service and "Ireland" shouldn't go together.

The majority of points you have made above I have had the same EXP with most companies in Ireland and most ISP's.

I've been refunded by NTL in the past for not even loss of service for proven bad service. (The one of two times I had an issue in over 5 years)

I've also had no problems getting to talk with a supervisor, which was needed in the case above.

I've been left waiting at home after taken time off by various different companies including IBB, eircom etc

I've been left hanging on the phone for long periods of time and lost the call on many occasions with almost every company i've ever taken a service from

I don't know anything about the DD's but I'm pretty sure I've heard of companies not offering a service at all if the person couldn't pay via DD

The majority of these issues are not exclusive to NTL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I live behind the jobstown house and have a 2meg connection with irish broadband. They have a bad name on boards but i believe it is only for the ripwave product where i have "breeze". Since i got it about 2 or 3 years ago i have never had an outage. On the 2 meg connection my normal download according to my download manager is 230k

It costs me 48 a month but is truely unlimited. However, I am waiting a few months now for my free upgrade to 3 meg.

It is run off an aerial on my chimney with "line of sight" to Killinarden hill.

I live behind the jobstown house and have a 2meg connection with irish broadband. They have a bad name on boards but i believe it is only for the ripwave product where i have "breeze". Since i got it about 2 or 3 years ago i have never had an outage. On the 2 meg connection my normal download according to my download manager is 230k

It costs me 48 a month but is truely unlimited. However, I am waiting a few months now for my free upgrade to 3 meg.

It is run off an aerial on my chimney with "line of sight" to Killinarden hill.
    Will the 3 meg update be free for all 2 meg customers? and could you use a router on it ?

They have a bad name on boards but i believe it is only for the ripwave product where i have "breeze".

I think the bad name was more to do with all the problems they had while trying to get their network up to scratch, which they have and now that soemone from boards isn't on the phone every 5 minutes to them they also now have a pretty decent customer serivice.

BreadBoard wrote:
    Will the 3 meg update be free for all 2 meg customers? and could you use a router on it ?

Yes to both.

ntlbell wrote:
    I think the bad name was more to do with all the problems they had while trying to get their network up to scratch, which they have and now that soemone from boards isn't on the phone every 5 minutes to them they also now have a pretty decent customer serivice.

Since when exactly? the last 30 seconds? And all the people on the Joe Duffy show the other day were telling lies?

What exactly are you basing your claim on that they have 'pretty decent customer service'?

there was a post here in the last couple of days where someone had to threaten taking them to the small claims court to get any sort of response at all.

• Advertisement

ntlbell wrote:
    Yes to both.
    Cool, thanks :)

dub45 wrote:
    Since when exactly? the last 30 seconds? And all the people on the Joe Duffy show the other day were telling lies?

What exactly are you basing your claim on that they have 'pretty decent customer service'?

there was a post here in the last couple of days where someone had to threaten taking them to the small claims court to get any sort of response at all.

I usually base all my claims around stories I hear on the Joe Duffy show.

You?

ntlbell wrote:
    I'm not here talking on behalf of NTL.

If you're trying to prove NTL has bad customer service then you're wasting your time, it's not like it's something that's kept on the QT.

Customer service and "Ireland" shouldn't go together.

The majority of points you have made above I have had the same EXP with most companies in Ireland and most ISP's.

I've been refunded by NTL in the past for not even loss of service for proven bad service. (The one of two times I had an issue in over 5 years)

I've also had no problems getting to talk with a supervisor, which was needed in the case above.

I've been left waiting at home after taken time off by various different companies including IBB, eircom etc

I've been left hanging on the phone for long periods of time and lost the call on many occasions with almost every company i've ever taken a service from

I don't know anything about the DD's but I'm pretty sure I've heard of companies not offering a service at all if the person couldn't pay via DD

The majority of these issues are not exclusive to NTL

You may not be talking on behalf of NTL but you are doing your best to defend their appalling behaviour - you are also quoting your experiences of an NTL that no longer exists. You are also using appalling behaviour on the part of other companies to justify appalling behaviour on the part of NTL - that indeed is good logic.

There are many companies now that will not supply a service unless payment is by direct debit. I disagree strongly with this but at least the potential customer knows in advance about the direct debit. In NTL's case they are attempting to force people onto direct debit by charging them more.

There aren't many companies charging an arbitray 7 euros for late payment either but I suppose they are pampering their customers?

And I am not trying to prove that they have bad customer service I am hoping that anyone who reads my posts will be made aware of NTL's behaviour as it is at the moment.

ntlbell wrote:
    I usually base all my claims around stories I hear on the Joe Duffy show.

You?

And what Joe Duffy show did you hear about the pretty decent customer service on?

dub45 wrote:
    You may not be talking on behalf of NTL but you are doing your best to defend their appalling behaviour - you are also quoting your experiences of an NTL that no longer exists. You are also using appalling behaviour on the part of other companies to justify appalling behaviour on the part of NTL - that indeed is good logic.

There are many companies now that will not supply a service unless payment is by direct debit. I disagree strongly with this but at least the potential customer knows in advance about the direct debit. In NTL's case they are attempting to force people onto direct debit by charging them more.

There aren't many companies charging an arbitray 7 euros for late payment either but I suppose they are pampering their customers?

And I am not trying to prove that they have bad customer service I am hoping that anyone who reads my posts will be made aware of NTL's behaviour as it is at the moment.

No I'm not trying to defend NTL in any way.
    I'm pointing out that the issues you speak of about NTL are not EXCLUSIVE to NTL and there's not a company in Ireland that doesn't suffer from these problems.

dub45 wrote:
    And what Joe Duffy show did you hear about the pretty decent customer service on?

Sorry I should have inserted a wink.

ntlbell wrote:
    Sorry I should have inserted a wink.

No you should have inserted the information that you are basing you claim on that ntl have 'pretty decent customer service'

dub45 wrote:
    No you should have inserted the information that you are basing you claim on that ntl have 'pretty decent customer service'

I never claimed NTL had pretty decent customer service.

I was talking to scouse about IBB

ntlbell wrote:
    No I'm not trying to defend NTL in any way.
    I'm pointing out that the issues you speak of about NTL are not EXCLUSIVE to NTL and there's not a company in Ireland that doesn't suffer from these problems.

The difference is that any company can slip up and have problems NTL is suffering from them all simultanteously and apparently deliberately!

• Advertisement

ntlbell wrote:
    I never claimed NTL had pretty decent customer service.

I was talking to scouse about IBB

Apologies.

Advertisement