Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OC'ing Athlon 3700+ recommendations?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

okay fi your gonna order a akasa fan make sure its a amber series. as these are very quiet and provide good airflow 40cu/m.

Adding one to the window should aways be intake, never outwards. As this will mess up the thermal volicity of heat.

If you can get a 92mm fan, and get a 80 -> 92mm bracket. As these draw in much more air.

As for the hsf, bin it and get another. The tuniq tower is great. And almost silent ( at low speeds ) high makes hardly any difference tbh. But i have deltas cable tied to mine :)

But it will cost you 60€. So just order a artic freezer 64. 15£ to buy from overclockers.

If i were you, i would add one delta to the front panel, and hook it up to a fan controller. so you can keep the noise down.

Also like i said make sure you download ite smart guardian. As this can increase fan speeds from 100% to 127%. Which makes a huge difference. IT will shorten the life of fans, but their so cheap it dosen't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭ricka05

Well you can consider this as well:
    http://www.comparecomponents.com/product.info.Thermaltake%20%20%20Black%20Thermaltake%20Transparent%20Side%20Panel%20with%2025cm%20Cooling%20Fan,%20for%20Armor%20+amp;amp;%20Kandalf%20Full%20Tower%20Case.%20Model:%20A2400%20(A2400).html
    The 25 cm fan gives a tem drop from 4 to 7 degrees.I red about it in some review....try to google it if you interested.... good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Hendrix89

Yeah i've always known about that panel. Looks brilliant. Too bad I cant find it anywhere! Do you know of anywhere online that sells it?

Found it on excaliberPC!! comes to 48eu total (incl ship)! Only 2 left, Im gonna get it!! I will see how this improves CPU temps. If it reduces by alot I'll just keep the zalman. Thanks for reminding about that panel!

just change your current cpu hsf for a tuniq tower/artic 64 freezer. And add a delta to the intake and exhaust.

that side panel is better for gfx cooling, rather then cpu cooling. And the temps mentioned above is for stock settings, not overclocked afaik !

I still think you need to re-seat your hsf. As them temps seem to high esp at your vcore.

• Advertisement

Yeah I still got a lot of decisions to make. Like I said I cant re-seat my hsf yet cause I have no thermal paste. I think I might order some. I can't change my hsf cause i've used it so I guess ive just wasted 40eu... Do you think that my new cooler is capable of cooling better than it is? If so then maybe re-positioning it is a sure solution. By the way right now its idling at 33C which isnt bad I dont think. Thats very strange and doesnt make sense as to why it shoots up to 60C at load...

I cant see why it doubles it temp range. It has no reason too.

You have not seriously overclocked.

Okay for one time only, dont re-apply the compound, just re-seat the hsf. And make it really tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

anti wrote:
    I cant see why it doubles it temp range. It has no reason too.

You have not seriously overclocked.

Okay for one time only, dont re-apply the compound, just re-seat the hsf. And make it really tight.

DO NOT DO THIS!!!

Reseating with the same TIM leads to airbubbles in the TIM and will raise your CPU temps. Also, just so you know, Peats sell AS5 and maplin sell a varient of it called Antec Formula 5 (just as good in online reviews)

Also anti, before putting those 2 deltas on your Tuniq did you do a temp comparison before and after with just the stock fan at full? High CFM fans aren't recommended with heatsinks like the Tuniq because of the surface resistance, you can actually cause your temps to raise if you try and push too much air through the small gaps between the fins as the airflow will begin to back up. Also as the stock fan is pushing air alot slower than the 2 deltas its going to be bottlenecking in the middle of the heatsink, if you HAVE to use the deltas then i'd remove the stock 12cm fan altogether to allow for the negative and positive pressure of the 2 deltas to even out.

Either way this is getting off topic. Back to some overclocking ;)

Hendrix can you post a screenie of your temp readout when your CPU is at 60'c?

As you can see, the 25cm fan provided a drop of 4 degrees Celsius while under a full load, which doesn't sound like much, but it really is. The Tuniq Tower 120 cooler does about the best job of any cooler I have used, and for it to silently be able to cool 4 degrees cooler is quite impressive. In operation the 25cm fan on the side panel was inaudible, unless I happened to get right down next to it.

Considering the interference with the CPU cooler and the blinding off of one portion of the fan, the results were quite good. My feeling is that CPU coolers other than something like the Tuniq Tower may see even more of an improvement if they work with the fan's flow, and not against it. Another factor that could contribute to even better performance is the ambient conditions. At 26C, the room was rather warm, so that big fan was just dumping in more air at just 2Ce less than what the CPU was operating at. If you are able to move cooler air with that big fan, the performance will without a doubt improve.

There is full review on s.panel:http://www.bigbruin.com/2006/ttside_1

P.S. i have the same cooler,my amd3800 is runing at 2640 (1.5v) after 9 hours prime95 my temp never hit ower 47 deg.

L31mr0d wrote:
    DO NOT DO THIS!!!

Reseating with the same TIM leads to airbubbles in the TIM and will raise your CPU temps. Also, just so you know, Peats sell AS5 and maplin sell a varient of it called Antec Formula 5 (just as good in online reviews)

Also anti, before putting those 2 deltas on your Tuniq did you do a temp comparison before and after with just the stock fan at full? High CFM fans aren't recommended with heatsinks like the Tuniq because of the surface resistance, you can actually cause your temps to raise if you try and push too much air through the small gaps between the fins as the airflow will begin to back up. Also as the stock fan is pushing air alot slower than the 2 deltas its going to be bottlenecking in the middle of the heatsink, if you HAVE to use the deltas then i'd remove the stock 12cm fan altogether to allow for the negative and positive pressure of the 2 deltas to even out.

Either way this is getting off topic. Back to some overclocking ;)

Hendrix can you post a screenie of your temp readout when your CPU is at 60'c?
    Still about OCing. I need my temps down to OC more! I am getting increasingly worried now as now i've seen my load up to 63C! It seems as if it will just rise and rise depending on how long I test it!!!! I ran 25mins of 3dmark06 for it to reach 63C! Then it shot back down to 35C in less than 2mins!

I was in peats and thats where I got the cooler. They only had one dam cooler in stock so I was forced to get this junk... They had no Arctic Silver, didnt even have any brand of thermal paste!! I could try Maplins.

Anyway guys plz stick around, I am getting really worried about my CPU temps!!! It's just rising and I don't know where the limit is!! By the way I am using SpeedFan for the monitoring. Do you think it could be reading falsly? Strange that it tells me the rest of my comp is really nice and cool. For example my HD is at 25C, overall case 28C, and mobo around 30... Also as I said before my CPU idles at only 34C with ambient room temp of 21C. Ahhh im pulling my hair out!!:eek: :mad:

• Advertisement

Yeah now this is very suspicious... I decided to do this. I checked my temps at idle on desktop using SPeedfan and it read 34C for CPU. I then rebooted and as quickly as possible checked the CPU temp in BIOS and it read 25C!? Surely theres somethin up here I mean the CPU couldn't drop 9 degrees in 20secs (the time it took for me to reboot and get into BIOS)??? Ya think speedfan is off??

If you have asus mb download PC probe -,it monitors temp,fans....

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

ricka05 wrote:
    If you have asus mb download PC probe -,it monitors temp,fans....

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

I use PC Probe as well you can use it to control your fans with qfan get rid of everything else you can have too much software.

hate to say it but it sounds more like a miscalibrated sensor, I had trouble with the sensor on my ASUS AN8-SLI when reading my socket temp. I really need to see a screenshot of your speedfan readout to tell you which value to pay attention to. Can you take a screenshot of it and upload it as an attachment to your next post.

Will get a pic up as soon as I can. Tbh I hope it's a messed up sensor...

Right heres a pic of speedfan. Temps idle on desktop.

CPUtempSF.jpg

wtf is at 127'c??? Yeah that looks messed up. Try this: Open config, go into info/get config, put in 206936 as the ticket number, press ok, wait until it prompts you then restart speedfan. Your temps and voltages should be labeled properly now

I tried to get config 206936 but it didnt work so I tried the one below it and it seemed to work alright. Take a look at the new temps.

I dont know why there are two CPU temps on it??? One showing the previous 35C and now the new one (temp CPU) showing 29C!? Which ones correct?
    CPUtempSF-1.jpg

hmm... maybe try another config? Did you get the number from the website? Keep trying different ones until you see one that shows you the CPU temp and the diode temp. The diode temp is really the only one you should concern yourself with as it is the temperature reading read directly from the core of the CPU. If your mobo (i.e. socket) sensor is off, you'll know by comparing it to your diode sensor. The socket sensor is usually about 4'c lower than the diode temp.

Try a few more configs until your NB, mobo, CPU and Diode temps are labeled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

Hendrix89 wrote:
    I tried to get config 206936 but it didnt work so I tried the one below it and it seemed to work alright. Take a look at the new temps.

I dont know why there are two CPU temps on it??? One showing the previous 35C and now the new one (temp CPU) showing 29C!? Which ones correct?
    CPUtempSF-1.jpg

Is "Remote 2 -64C" a sensor you have located in the Arctic or are you monitoring your freezer? :D

• Advertisement

Ah beautiful the latest config (206936) worked! Yeah 'CPU Core temp' reads 28C! 'CPU TEMP' reads 30C! Looks likes it's correct right!?:)

I also have 'ChipSetTemp' - 33C, 'AUX TEMP' - 27C, Local is 33C.

Seems everything is fine then. Just one thing.. What the hell is AUX TEMP? And Local?

Oh yeah and CPU load barely reaches 40C:D Time for some OCing! 3GHz!!!!!

hopeful wrote:
    Is "Remote 2 -64C" a sensor you have located in the Arctic or are you monitoring your freezer? :D
    Im just ignoring those stupid readings... :D

Phew, glad it was eomthing simple.

Hendrix89 wrote:
    Ah beautiful the latest config (206936) worked! Yeah 'CPU Core temp' reads 28C! 'CPU TEMP' reads 30C! Looks likes it's correct right!?:)

I also have 'ChipSetTemp' - 33C, 'AUX TEMP' - 27C, Local is 33C.

Seems everything is fine then. Just one thing.. What the hell is AUX TEMP? And Local?

Oh yeah and CPU load barely reaches 40C:D Time for some OCing! 3GHz!!!!!

Can you do a quick test for me, start some program to load your CPU (i.e. prime95 or OCCT) and tell me which of your CPU temps (CPU core & CPU) jumps up the highest in temperature first. One of them should spike by about 8'c within the first 2 or 3 seconds, the other should climb to the same temp but a little slower. The one that jumps the fastest is your Diode temp and the one you need to watch in future.

AFAIR ASUS boards are screwy because they tend to show the socket temp higher than the diode temp, which is impossible as all the heat is coming from the diode temp sensor.

Yeah I have tested it on load and its the CPU core temp that rises fastest with the CPU temp slowly following. Just how you described.

Right well the thats the temps sorted. Be sure to monitor only the CPU core temp as your actual CPU temp when loading. You should also be keeping an eye on your chipset temp as well. Make sure it doesn't get to over 55'c on load.

Lets try some new settings, to see if we can get you to 2.7Ghz ;)

Try 246x11 = 2706Mhz @ 1.4v
    Drop the HTT multi to 3x for now
    Plug in only 1GB of your RAM and put it on a 5:6 divider (i.e. DDR333) = 193 or DDR387
    Set the RAM timings to 3-4-4-12 @ 2T

Try and boot and run OCCT or a blendtest in Prime95 for half and hour, monitor your core temp and make sure it doesn't break 60'c

Get back to us with results, preferably screenshots ;)

I'll give it a shot as soon as I can! Just one thing is there a risk of me getting a BSOD or can that only happen when I increase volts? It's just I havent ran into one before and it would be easier if the only clue that im instable would be a simple crash in windows so I could just go back and reset the settings.

By the way my CPU (cpu core) is at 26C now! Brilliant! It doesnt go above 28 usually!

You can still get a bsod from not raising the vcore.

I personally dont think its possible to 2.75ghz with 1.4v. i think 1.5 should do it. As you have to take into consideration of vdroop.

Dont forget 10x260 will give you fx-55 speeds. But this needs 1.45v to be stable.

Personally i cant go over 238mhz even though the ram is ddr 4000 which is rated to run at 250mhz.

If you do try that l3imr0d suggests , work your way upto it. dont just boot into it.

Okay well my vcore is at 1.48v now so I guess I can leave that. Yeah I'll do it gradually. I'll get back to you guys with my result.

• Advertisement

I just tried the settings, i needed 1.55vcore + 123% mroe power, so 1.86v to get it stable at that.

Advertisement