Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Strange boot problem

• 21-12-2006 2:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

When I boot up (XP pro) sometimes (well more often than not) my computer decides to go stall mid-boot after the windows loading screen and before the user name log on screen.

I could understand (and maybe even accept) if it didn't boot at all but the fact that it is a lottery when I turn on my laptop is quite annoying.

Could anyone shed some light on the situation? Why or how could a laptop boot up sometimes but not other times? :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Can you give us some system details? How old is the machine? It could be hardware related so first try running memtest to check for memory failures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Yep, need more details.
    e.g when you say stall, if left for an hour or two even overnight, will it eventually start. Are you seeing a bluescreen, or automatic reboot.
    For example it might be a slow laptop attempting to install updates.

Any correlation between when the laptop is plugged in or running on battery and the stall.

Common steps in troubleshooting such issues:

1: does the problem occur when the network/ wireless network is disconnected/off/unavailable?

2: does the problem ever occur when you start the computer in safe mode?
    (press F8 a few times just before and as the windows boot screen appears. Choose safe mode). If not there may be a driver, service or antivirus causing an issue.

3: Has the laptop ever been part of a corporate domain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 franklymydear

System details:

Dell XPS m1210 1.83Ghz dual core, 1Gb RAM, 100Gig HD
    Win XP pro SP2
    6 months old

The blank screen I get most of the time is just a plain black screen - though it looks like it is slightly lit - after the loading bar (xp logo+black screen+blue flashing bar at bottom) and before the login screen.

It happens randomly i.e. any time I start it regardless of variables -with or without network card/bluetooth being activated- it may or may not boot. I have tried eliminating the variables to see if it could be tied down to one specific problem but wasn't able to find the source of the problem. When it freezes I take the battery out and restart the machine. The problem happens whether or not the battery is in or solely using AC power.

The laptop was never out of my possession / in the corporate domain. It is set up for use with the college network but the problem happened before I set it up there so that's not it.

The laptop boots up every time in safe mode so it could be driver related but I have tried updating the drivers (the ones on the dell CD) to no avail. I ran memtest but everything showed up fine.

Could it possibly be a program I have installed? I have some software that uses dongle emulators.

Cheers for the input guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Yes, it's possible that a program that operates at a low level will cause this behaviour.

So it may be required to use msconfig to selectively disable startup items.

So boot in safe mode.
    Start>Run>msconfig
    Choose selective startup under the 'general' tab.

Deselect the 'load Startup items' and click OK.
    Click OK and restart the computer in normal mode.

If it now starts consistently then your issue will be with the items listed under the msconfig>Startup tab.

If if still fails then disable the next item (Load system Services) under msconfig, and repeat.

Once you know which section causes the issue then you can work to deselect individual items. Or list the items and post them here.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Does it occur in safe mode too ?

Have you applied all the latest updates, there was something about hanging for 10 minutes on dot net service pack one or something

• Advertisement
Advertisement