Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tools i need for recording?

Options
  • 21-12-2006 3:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭

hey, i want to record just basic stuff on my laptop with audacity (i only have the free version and its crap)

where would i buy the complete version (what store?)
    can i get a mic that would work for my computer also?

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

Audacity is open source - you can't buy it.

It's not crap - it does what it is intendeed to do very well. Do you understand how to use all it's features?

Look at Cakewalk Home Studio, Cubase Le or N-Track as budget alternatives.

You'd be better off with a USB audio interface and a decent mic. Browse the rest of the forum for suggestions on both.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

hey, i want to record just basic stuff on my laptop...

Methinks we need a "getting started" sticky here to deal with this question, or the "how do I get started making electronic music?" question, it pops up several times a week. Not meaning to be unhelpful, but might be better for everyone if a comprehensive getting started guide was included somewhere in the forum.

Methinks we need a "getting started" sticky

Great idea. I think you just volunteered :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

Maybe, I personally think that it's not really that common a question to need a sticky and that by answering individual threads we encourage peple to take an active part in the board rather than just reading sticky and then heading off for the hills.

What do others think?

Th Agogo: Sorry for your thread getting hijacked a little here! Tell us a little more about what kind of music you'd like to make, what instruments you play/have and maybe even if you have any gear already and a rough budget. We'll give you some better replies then!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Fair point frobisher. Maybe a more general "getting started" thing might be good, e.g. basic advice on what cheap mic to buy, free sequencers, where to find free VSTs, links to websites providing basic tutorials etc. That might answer people's most basic queries while leaving the door open for more specific advice.

@ Agogo, apologies also from me for hijacking your thread, my bad :)

If Audacity isn't cutting it as recording software you could consider energyXT (assuming you're a PC user - www.xt-hq.com). Its only €39 and its a lot more powerful than Audacity. Although its not aimed purely towards recording, it will make mixing/production a lot easier and more flexible.

As for mics, you could check out a Samson USB Condenser mic - it has its own A/D converters and draws phantom power from your USB port so you wouldn't need to worry about buying a new soundcard/audio interface - http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1810

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭counterpointaud

cornbb wrote:
    As for mics, you could check out a Samson USB Condenser mic - it has its own A/D converters and draws phantom power from your USB port so you wouldn't need to worry about buying a new soundcard/audio interface - http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1810

I really must humbly disagree with the suggestion of even considering this mic.

Buy an old pentium 3 and use the money you save to buy a couple channels of A/D/A, clean pre's with phantom, and a mic or two chosen depending on your needs.

That Samson mic isn't going to do anything but frustrate your efforts.

IMHO of course..YMMV

Nathan

For a sketchpad application, I think the samson audio mic is an intelligent option. I've heard it sounds pretty good, and it can always go into the mic locker for occasional use as a tom mic or an ambience mic if the OP gets something better later. It's a matter of convenience really - usb interface and mic in one package. The main drawback is that you cant plug an instrument into the interface.

What concerns you about the mic, counterpoint? Samson are the same crowd that make Zoom - America's enswer to Behringer. It might not be pro-audio gear but it's fairly well made and specced in general. I plugged in my mark 1 zoom 505 for the first time in years lately. Still amazed at the sounds it made - cost £100 at a time when all other multi effects boxes cost in excess of £300.

Re the sticky, 'what's a good mic/soundcard/midi-audio sequencer?' questions come up again and again. I think we should address these in a sticky, offering budget, midrange and pro options.

I just bough myself Sonar6 and Dimension Pro for Christmas. Need a new P.C. now...

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭counterpointaud

squibs wrote:
    What concerns you about the mic, counterpoint? ...

The inbuilt converter.

Might sound ok on one or two tracks, but for somebodys only mic the fact is that the cheap jittery conversion will build up very audibly over multiple tracks.

As a sketchpad tool or for a couple of tracks (as a tom mic maybe, as you said) I can see it's usefullness. Also for location sampling and alot of other uses. Just not as an artists only mic, who plans to record multiple tracks with it.

Nathan

Advertisement