Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wifi and Personal Health

• 21-12-2006 5:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭

Ive read a good few articles on schools/colleges around the world banning wifi because of reported headaches/nausea etc. Most of the comments on these articles appear to go against whats said tho, stating things like the radiation emitted from wireless routers is non-ionizing, and wireless routers operate at 100mW, whereas mobile phones operate at 2000mW so the radiation levels are relatively low.

At the moment theres no empirical evidence for/against the topic of wifi effecting health. Maybe only time will tell what the long term effects are tho. Anyway, thoughts/opinions anyone?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭wexfordman

Right so,

Lets ban everything:-

Video senders
    Dect phones
    RF Keyfobs (think of the untold damage you are doing to yourself everytime you unlock your car!!)
    Baby monitors (christ dont put those things near any kids)
    Radios (do you have any idea the output power from your local rte mast ?)
    TV's (ditto to rte mast)
    Sattelite (we are all screwed here, cang get away from those things 10,000 miles away and balsting radiation all over the place).

Seriously though, GSM handsets work at max power of 2w (thats absolute max, in practice power is much lower, particularly the closer you are to a mast). In city areas where 1800 band is used, gsm handsets use 1w of power max.

Not sure myself what the power is from a wireless router, but 100mw is 10% of the power from an 1800 handset.

Overall, whether you are talking about handsets or wife routers, the power levels are extremely low.

It amazes me the level of paranoia out there with these things, except when it comes to practical uses of rf for themselves. I mentioned baby monitors in jest, but why ignore them if you are genuinely concerned about rf safety ?

I saw some signs posted recently in the Cork area from a local representative who was trying to rally support against a mobile phone mast in the area. Guess what sort of contact number he put at the bottom of the poster

Wexfordman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Well, I'm fscked so. In my house, I have WiFi, Bluetooth, DECT, Satellite, 3 Mobiles, and a TV Sender too. Great :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

wexfordman wrote:
    Seriously though, GSM handsets work at max power of 2w (thats absolute max, in practice power is much lower, particularly the closer you are to a mast). In city areas where 1800 band is used, gsm handsets use 1w of power max.

Very few handsets are even capable of transmitting at 1w of Power. When I started selling mobiles in 96, we sold Transportables (Remember, the ones strapped to a Petrol Tank Batter that lasted 4 Hours), and they put out 2 Watts. The high power handsets of the time barely managed half a watt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭wexfordman

ned78 wrote:
    Well, I'm fscked so. In my house, I have WiFi, Bluetooth, DECT, Satellite, 3 Mobiles, and a TV Sender too. Great :D

I got six weriless msiuc stsymes, weriless boradbnad, wfii, dcet pohens, bbay mnotoir, terhe mibloes and a few kyeofbs.

AND IT NEVER BOTHERED ME

Oooh MICROWAVE, I smell cooked meat:D

Advertisement