Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Clean or Not to Clean ???

Options
  • 21-12-2006 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just starting my first build and I would like some info please

Hardward I am working with (all items are brand new):

E6600
    https://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=322633

Zalman CNPS9500LED Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler
    https://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=312473

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound
    https://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=302888

I have read throught the guide on the sticky regarding mounting the HSF, but it mentions cleaning the CPU and the HSF with Articlean (or something)

I just want to know if this step is necessary - both for the CPU and HSF

And if it is necessary where can I pick up some Artic Cleaning Fluid or something similar?
    I want to try to get this built before christmas so I think the online option is out.

Thanks,

Q

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

It isn't essential but if you want the optimal usage of it then yeah it is a good idea but you will be perfectly fine simply using the arctic silver on the Zalman cooler out of the box as Zalman do not pre apply any thermal compound to their coolers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭quazzy

8T8 wrote:
    It isn't essential but if you want the optimal usage of it then yeah it is a good idea but you will be perfectly fine simply using the arctic silver on the Zalman cooler out of the box as Zalman do not pre apply any thermal compound to their coolers.

Cheers for that 8T8.

Just also want to know if the heat pad on the Zalman needs to be removed at all - im pretty sure I saw one there last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

You sure one was one on it as every Zalman cooler I have had did not some with a thermal compound/pad pre applied to it.

It's why Zalman stick thermal grease in the package in a little tube for application on the CPU, unless things have changed very recently ??

See the last picture for the bare bottom :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Yeah the Zalmans don't have a pad on the bottom of them. Cleaning them is just to ensure that there are no particles or grease (from your fingers and such) on the bottom of the heatsink that will inhibit heat transfer. Your best bet is to use something like acetone and a lint free cloth to clean off the surface as articlean is pretty hard to come by apart from buying it off the net.

You could also just use water and a lint free cloth to clean it then use a dryer to make sure that it's completely dry. Also i've attached the AS5 guide for applying their TIM to C2D chips. Follow it when applying the stuff.

Thats everyone.

Ill double check when I get home.

Dont have acetone so I might just try some Vodka instead.

Later

Q

• Advertisement

Just checked the Zalman and the base is completly clean so I think I'll just give it a quite rub with alcohol and the same for the cpu.

Q

Advertisement