Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael Vick move I think?

• 21-12-2006 11:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭

I was watching an ad for Sky Sports "Legends of Iron" I think it was called a show about all time great american footballers. I noticed one where a guy deliberately stumbles to the ground towards his left for five yards, draws all the surrounding players into a crouching position near that side of the pitch.
    Then with the most agile and poweful acceleration I'v ever seen in a field sport, he flings himself towards the right hand side of the pitch and blasts his way up the pitch. A little like a move Eric Cantona used to do where he would deliberately lose control of ball to the left, crouch down regain control with his left foot, defender is crouched down and is approachin that side of pitch while Cantona has moved off with ball to the right.
    The same American footballer also managed to land on his feet and keep running after being spun 360degrees in the air.
    I think guys name was Michael Vick?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

Yes his name is Michael Vick. Atlanta Falcons QB. Just broke record for most rushing yards by a QB in a season. It has come as a bit of a surprise to many that he hasn't made the pro bowl this year. He will lead the Falcons to suberbowl glory, oh yeah!!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

great for entertainment value.

Terrible if you want him to win you a match though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

I can never understand this hatred of Michael Vick ??

The Falcon's O Line is terrible. I've alos seen some of their receivers have atrocious drops. I remember one in the 4th quarter where a receiver was all alone and standing waiting for the ball. He let the ball go through his fingers!! If he played behind a Chargers, Saints, Colts Offensive line, he'd be awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Michael Vick is a great player. I think he has the most rushing yards as a QB this season or something like that. He's not that tall though, is he? He doesn't appear to be on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭bobby wade

Vick is the most over-rated player in the league & is only an average QB. How long can ya continue to blame the receivers?? the amount of guys they've brought in it can't be ALL their fault

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I think he's just over 6ft which would make it difficult to pick out receivers through all the chaos in front of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

The rushing thing is overrated, every game he led the team in rushing this season they lost!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

Hes a great player but he just dosn't gell with the Falcons, mabye they should cut there losses and trade him for a few better recivers, they got a good number 2 QB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭Lothaar

Great athlete, not a great QB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Boomer23

I actually like Vick, and he aint as bad a passer as people say. There are 2 problems with the Falcons offence..........Jim Mora Jr's play calling and the Wide Recievers

Jim Mora had a QB that can throw and run.....call screens, call bootlegs, call stretch plays, then use Vicks legs as a "get out of jail" call at the end of plays.....what Mora did was try to win games by calling run plays constantly, and then throwing the long ball into deep coverage

3 First round wide recievers, and Lelie.......none of them can catch the ball and none of them can run routes well.....its the same as Detroit last season, Harrington and Garcia got the slack, but the recievers dropped everything.

a new coach will breathe new life into Vick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Boomer23 wrote:
    its the same as Detroit last season, Harrington and Garcia got the slack, but the recievers dropped everything.
    Eh Roy Williams is one of the best WRs in the NFL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Boomer23 wrote:
    I actually like Vick, and he aint as bad a passer as people say. There are 2 problems with the Falcons offence..........Jim Mora Jr's play calling and the Wide Recievers

Jim Mora had a QB that can throw and run.....call screens, call bootlegs, call stretch plays, then use Vicks legs as a "get out of jail" call at the end of plays.....what Mora did was try to win games by calling run plays constantly, and then throwing the long ball into deep coverage

3 First round wide recievers, and Lelie.......none of them can catch the ball and none of them can run routes well.....its the same as Detroit last season, Harrington and Garcia got the slack, but the recievers dropped everything.

a new coach will breathe new life into Vick

Mora was not the problem in Atlanta. Vick is an average passer and is an athlete and not a QB. The Falcons offense is based around Vick's Athleticism. How can you blame a coach who was stuck with an Average QB, and don't count his rushing yards as QB abilities as Mora needed a QB not a running back. Good receivers have come and gone from the Falcons but with Vick there what is the point his arm is obviously not going to get them out of the trouble. A new coach will face the same problems. I was at the Falcons Patriots game in 2005 when Vick was injured and Schaub was fantastic and the Falcons looked a better team on offence that day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭Manny7

Wasn't there some talk this season of starting Schaub at QB and Vick behind him at RB? Bit gimmicky but would be interesting to see. Don't think Dunn would be too happy though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

vick wouldnt have a chance as a running back.

jdivision wrote:
    Eh Roy Williams is one of the best WRs in the NFL.

obviously you mean this season and not last, last season he was awful

Mora was not the problem in Atlanta. Vick is an average passer and is an athlete and not a QB. The Falcons offense is based around Vick's Athleticism. How can you blame a coach who was stuck with an Average QB, and don't count his rushing yards as QB abilities as Mora needed a QB not a running back. Good receivers have come and gone from the Falcons but with Vick there what is the point his arm is obviously not going to get them out of the trouble. A new coach will face the same problems. I was at the Falcons Patriots game in 2005 when Vick was injured and Schaub was fantastic and the Falcons looked a better team on offence that day.

have you watched Falcons games when Vick is allowed to throw? didnt think so

Mora's play calling is shocking, and he didnt know what to do with the team he had, good riddance.

and i agree that Schaub is good, but is he REALLY a starter? its the same old story, team doesnt win so the most popular guy around is the back-up QB

Yes I have watched Vick play and stand by what I say he is an average passer. Stats don't lie yes he did throw some good passes this year but he is still an average passer he only has a 52.6 pct this year 388 att and 204 completed only 2474 passing yards 20 td's and 13 int. Vick is a great athlete but an average QB and will never win the Falcons a Superbowl. As for Schaub he will leave Atlanta and will go find a different team and I gaurantee you next year his stats will be better than Vick's as a QB.

Boomer23 wrote:
    its the same old story, team doesnt win so the most popular guy around is the back-up QB

And eh not really try Schaub as a great propect. His 1 and only start last year he threw near 400 yds against the Patriots.He has an arm and he knows what to do with it. This funnily enough he has completed 18 of 27 1 td 208 yds 66 pct not bad for a non starter look at his pct better than Vick.

I have friends in Georgia who are Falcon nuts go to every game and the good people of Atlanta and Georgia are losing faith in Vick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Dr.Slurm

I heard that Atlanta are keen to trade Vick to Oakland for the no.1 overall pick in the draft. Then they would start Schaub, who is a better pocket QB.

i hope not, Vick would be ruined over there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Archytas

I watched as many falcons games as I could this season - paid for a few to watch them with nfl.com. Vick is a brilliant player. Tactically one of the smartest players in that QB position. He's let down by the O-Line. And he can pass the ball very well. But there is no balance to the play calling. And WR's who need to earn their money.

I don't think Vick is going anywhere. He gets on really well with Arthur Blank and with a new HC I think they'll wait and see. Shaub is pretty good though, I wouldn't count him out of any contest but he's still young.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

Dr.Slurm wrote:
    I heard that Atlanta are keen to trade Vick to Oakland for the no.1 overall pick in the draft. Then they would start Schaub, who is a better pocket QB.

I think Vick is due $20m+ next season so the Raiders couldn't afford him, besides I think they would be more interested in Schaub, who is a restricted free agent, which gives the Falcons the right to match any offer, but they aren't going to spend millions for a back up QB, so if someone offered $4-5m to Schaub, then he'll probably go.

I heard a rumour that the Raiders might send wide receivers Jerry Porter and Randy Moss to Atlanta for Vick, but Vick's huge salary would seem to prevent this and even if it did go ahead, he wouldn't have much of a receiving corp left in Oakland to pass to.

Vick is really more of a running back that can throw,(his rushing stats more closely resemble an elite rushing back,than his passing stats resemble a top QB), which can be effective, but he's never going to challenge the likes of Peyton Manning or Tom Brady as a pure passer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭Hynzie

i think vick is extremly talented, he is unblivably fast and has a strong arm.

that said he needs to better desicions in certain situations and he can be shutdown easily by a good defence. Does anyone else have tampas superbowl dvd? watch the bucs home game against the falcons. it demonstrates perfectly how to stop vick. The defense killed him in that game.

Advertisement