Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Two back number plates on suzuki wagon R?

Options
  • 21-12-2006 11:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

I was behind one of these contraptions today. I noticed it had it's number plate in a recess on the bumper but it also had a number plate recess in the hatch door too. it was a 06 and not a Jap import. Does anyone know why this is?

I also saw a fiat mpv taxi around blanch, and it had its plate moved from the back door to the bumper also. Any Ideas ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Was in a Northern Taxi by any chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭DanThe

It had a southern reg, A fiat Scudo taxi. Also why do Toyota Landcruisers have their indicators in the back bumper and not use the ones in the normal position??

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

DanThe wrote:
    I was behind one of these contraptions today. I noticed it had it's number plate in a recess on the bumper but it also had a number plate recess in the hatch door too. it was a 06 and not a Jap import. Does anyone know why this is?

I also saw a fiat mpv taxi around blanch, and it had its plate moved from the back door to the bumper also. Any Ideas ?

The reason is the Suzuki Wagon R and Opel Agila is almost completely the same car. Agila's have their reg plates fixed to the boot hatch; Wagon R's have them in the bumper recess. The Wagon R used to have a handle on the boot which covered the recess, but they stopped putting it there in late 02 or 03.

The Agila is built at the GM factory in Gliwice, Poland. The Suzuki Wagon R was built at the Suzuki plant in Hungary until 2004, and since early 2005 has also been built in Poland.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

DanThe wrote:
    It had a southern reg, A fiat Scudo taxi. Also why do Toyota Landcruisers have their indicators in the back bumper and not use the ones in the normal position??

This is the case on a lot of 4x4's, especially those with the spare wheel strapped on the back.

Something to do with EU regulations and the visibility of lights from all sorts of angles. The spare wheel prevents this and so they have to stick on the separate lights in/on the bumper.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Re: the Wagon R

All the Wagon R's I've seen only have number plate holders on the bumper. Also, I didn't even know Suzuki were still selling them here any time this year - they're not on their Irish website any more.

• Advertisement

@ zilog_jones, Have a look at this http://www.cbg.ie/Car_detail.asp?CBGID=582686&ID=865023&NumPics=3&Make=Suzuki&Model=Wagon%20R%20+%20GL&frmFilter=All#

You can see the two number plate recesses.

Thanks everyone, for explaining but It still seems very odd.
    Maybe the people who buy these things just don't care about how it looks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

DanThe wrote:
    Maybe the people who buy these things just don't care about how it looks.

Many of the people who buy these things are geriatrics (mainly grannys) and many of them don't care about a cars appearance anyway.

Max_Damage wrote:
    Many of the people who buy these things are geriatrics (mainly grannys) and many of them don't care about a cars appearance anyway.

Yea, I can't see many of the people on here in motors rushing out to buy one!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Apparently the reason for the taxis moving their number plated to the bumper was for advertising purpouses. they could completely wrap the back of the taxi with a huge ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

The Wagon R came here in 1998, but in the same series 3 years earlier, the same car had, as an option, only 3 doors, two on the passenger side and one on the driver side but this wasnt available in Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It's not unusual for Japanese cars to have only one rear door. Previa for example.

It's actually quite interesting to have cars that are not symetrical, Alfa 156 (number plate) Nissan Cube (side windows)

Advertisement