Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Player of the Season so far...

• 21-12-2006 1:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭

[I realise no matter what some people won't be happy with the list, but I took it mostly off the PL fantasy football site so :)]

For me it's Essien, just ahead Drogba, then a joint 3rd of Ronaldo and Scholes.

Player on the season so far.. 108 votes

Taylor
    0%
    Gerrard
    0%
    ninebeanrows 1 vote
    Lampard
    5%
    DcullyzAbboHashSlingingLuckyLloydReganio 2redzerdrog 6 votes
    Essien
    0%
    Dingatron 1 vote
    Scholes
    6%
    Jimi-SpandexPHBDempseyblobertel rabitosPro. FMonkeyWrench 7 votes
    Fabregas
    11%
    MossinRaskolnikovs8nChongSpossGetOffMyPatchSajanevad_lhorgwheres me jumpasundulaTonyD79tdv 12 votes
    Rooney
    1%
    PacificoFuzzy_Dunlop 2 votes
    Drogba
    0%
    L5 1 vote
    Saha
    72%
    TwoShedsJacksonPaladinPing Chow ChiPiEBounty HunterleeroybrownJohnny_the_foxsuper_furryrobz150BatemanLafortezzaShevYvorbisGangstaChucky the treejankVillainKoldloyatemuwoodyg 78 votes
    Other
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Saha
    From what i've seen of English football so far in its season , it would be hard to look beyond Drogba.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Mad Dog

Saha
    Drogba and Essien for me !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Saha
    My top 10

Drogba
    James
    Essien
    Vidic
    Barry
    Ronaldo
    Fabregas
    Scholes
    Barton
    Taylor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Gotta be Ben Thatcher.

Saha
    Trilla wrote:
    My top 10

Drogba
    James
    Essien
    Vidic
    Barry
    Ronaldo
    Fabregas
    Scholes
    Barton
    Taylor

I have to say I couldn't complain with any of them choices....Probably have Gilberto instead of Fabregas though....!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Saha
    I begrudgingly vote for Drogba. Zero respect for his constant diving but he has been amazing this season. Where would Chelsea be right now without him?

Saha
    Ibid wrote:
    Gotta be Ben Thatcher.

Try posting here, you might be better served :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

I never though I would ever see myself write this but....Drogba has been the player of the season so far.

(Honourable mention for Kevin Doyle though.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Saha
    Drogba for sure - although Andy O'Brien ran him close ...

Saha
    Mad Dog wrote:
    I have to say I couldn't complain with any of them choices....Probably have Gilberto instead of Fabregas though....!

Fair point. Arsenal couldnt afford to lose Gilberto out of their team. Fabregas has been excellent though at times this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Mad Dog wrote:
    Try posting here, you might be better served :mad:
    Ah relax, was only joking.

Drogba has almost certainly been the best player this season. But he plays for Chelski so it doesn't really count ;). Who has been the best non-Chelsea player? Kanu, anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

David James

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Saha
    Definitely Drogba for me. between the quality of the goals he has scored and the number of points that Chelsea could have dropped without them it has to be him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Saha
    Drogba by a mile imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Fabregas
    Kills me to say it but Drogba immediately stands out. There are times I look at him and think what a donkey, then moments later he pops up with a goal/screamer. I really dont know how he moves so seamlessly between being awful and great, but anyway like I said he does stick out and will more than likely be awared accordingly at the end of the season.

However I do feel players like Vidic, Scholes, Barton, David James, Jaaskalinen, Steven Taylor and Gilberto are churning out far more quality week in, week out that Drogba.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

Scholes for me - don't think Drogba is liked by his fellow players who do the voting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Saha
    TheMonster wrote:
    don't think Drogba is liked by his fellow players who do the voting

What has that got to do with anything? Were talking about who we think deserves it not who is goign to win it!!! For me Drogba has been the king this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Saha
    <gritted_teeth> Drogba </gritted_teeth>

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Jaaskalinen, I think he has been fantastic this season and he is a very underrated goalkeeper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Saha
    Kingp35 wrote:
    Jaaskalinen, I think he has been fantastic this season and he is a very underrated goalkeeper.
    Carson seems to be the keeper of the season so far but most people on here would watch more premiership football than me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭Tonio

Saha
    Drogba. Slightly off topic but Agbonlahore for Villa should at least get nominated for the young player award

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Saha
    Thread head is misleading. It should read English Premier League Player of the season so far

Drogba tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Stephen Hunt and Gareth Bale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

Saha
    well being honest i voted for Drogba and it kills me to do so cause i can't stand the man, spoilt baby just like the rest of his Chelsea team mates.
    But he has been in superb form this season top scorer in the league so he would deserve the award.
    Kevin Doyle should get an award for best impact on the league i think he's just over the age limit for young player which will go to Arsenal Cesc Fabregass who is still a teenager scary :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

Saha
    drogba....closely followed by Essien.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭MonkeyWrench

Scholes
    I'd have to go for Essien - Major influence this season for Chelsea and is the engine of the team.
    Closely followed by Drogba - hate the guy with a passion but his first touch and eye for goal is second to none, if he gets injured Chelseas goals will dry up..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Saha
    begrudgingly to Drogba, his goals have made a massive difference to chelsea this season, getting them points where they may have gotten none!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Kevin Doyle for me - his goals being the main reason reading are doing so well. Drogba has been scoring goals but I just cant look past the diving. Honourable mention goes out to Gilberto.

From my own teams point of view its a toss up between Kuyt and Agger but think Kuyt just nicks it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Saha
    Drogba.

Since Shevchenko arrived, Drogba has upped his game considerably - probably because he was afraid that with a striker like Shevchenko at the club he wouldn't get a game.

From an Irish point of view, our best player has been Kevin Doyle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

Fabregas
    Tim Cahill
    Essien
    Scholes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

tdv wrote:
    Tim Cahill

I'd argue that Arteta has been better, but only really because he has played all but a few minutes of Evertons games this season, whilst Cahill has been injured for the past while.

Both consistently good midfielders though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Saha
    Drogba, clearly. For me, it would go something like:

1) Didier Drogba
    2) Michael Essien
    3) David James
    4) Gareth Barry
    5) Paul Scholes
    6) Nemanja Vidic
    7) Matthew Taylor
    8) Nwanku Kanu
    9) Gabriel Agbonlahor
    10) Cristiano Ronaldo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Wot? No Kanu? :)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Saha
    thought kanu or Doyle would make it on the original list but have to agree with most everyone here, Drogba and Essien have carried Chelsea, Drogba just having the edge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Rooney
    I voted for Fabregas rather brashly without considering the other options, he was particularly amzing towards the start of the season but to be honest i should have picked drogba, or essien

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Obviously it's gotta be Joey Barton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Saha
    Drogba definitly.

Honourable mention to Jonathen woodgate though, after having such a injury riddled time at Real he has been excellent this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

eirebhoy wrote:
    Carson seems to be the keeper of the season so far but most people on here would watch more premiership football than me.

Yeah he definately deserves a mention, apparently Charlton would have got a right hammering against Wycombe only for him. He always gets a few quality saves into Charltons highlights.

Hopefully the goalkeeping jinx at Liverpool steers around him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Drogba is getting all the plaudits at the half way stage but if Manchester United win the league and Ronaldo plays as well in the second half of the season as he did in the first, then I reckon he may just win the award.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Lampard
    Drogba or Giggs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Drogba and Essien, under the circumstances especially, have done unbelievably. They were both probably the ones who people would pick out to miss out on first team action with the arrivals of Shevchenko and Ballack, but they've both outshone the new players in their respective positions.
    Ronaldo is right up with them though. Most people didn't think he'd even be in England this season, but to get over the speculation, put up with the chorus of abuse every week and still perform consistently has been brilliant for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,125 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Saha
    what about most unexpected best player of the season

well alright, Drogba would be a candidate there too, but also
    Giggs, James, and especially Kanu. He occassionally looked world class for Arsenal but he must have had 5 years of poor form and injuries prior to this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Saha
    Drogba for me but Ronaldo should be in that poll. 2 players I can't stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Scholes
    I voted for Essien. He has been great. The only reason that he doesn't stand out is because Chelski are such a well formed unit with all the midfielders playing their role exactly to plan. IMO Essien is playing that bit better than the other midfielders in the team.
    I can't overlook Drogba's sissy acting behaviour for his goal scoring and strength in the box. So he gets only my contempt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Saha
    Drogba has been the one stand out in a season where alot of big name players are not performing.

My other top players this season have been...

Ryan Giggs
    Cesc Fabregas
    Kevin Doyle
    Dimitar Berbatov
    Aaron Lennon
    Mikel Arteta
    Sol Campbell
    Nwanko Kanu
    Gareth Barry
    Gabriel Agbonlahor

Saha
    Ryan Giggs
    Cesc Fabregas
    Kevin Doyle
    Dimitar Berbatov
    Aaron Lennon
    Mikel Arteta
    Sol Campbell
    Nwanko Kanu
    Gareth Barry
    Gabriel Agbonlahor

Everyone to their own but how you can leave out Essien, David James, Ronaldo and Vidic is beyond me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Fabregas
    Paul Scholes for me. People harp on about Ronaldo and Saha for United this season but it's Scholes who has been instrumental in the engine room for United this season. It's remarkable that despite still carrying vision problems, that his passing has been so good. Not only that, put he's been brilliant at breaking up opponents attacks with some excellent tackles. Against top Champions League opposition, Scholes will be United's most critical player this season.

Is it any coincidence that without Scholes last season, United were muck?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

Saha
    Much as I hate to say it but Drogba has been brilliant

As a United fan I have been very impressed with Vidic. He is a proper centre half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

Saha
    This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

At this early stage I'd say Drogba gets it on that list. Fabregas has been sublime at times but not consistantly.

The thing is, as has been mentioned, that list relied to heavily on the top clubs. Considering the teams they are playing in, I'd rate Doyle and Kanu way ahead of Drogba so far this season. Campbell deserves to be in there too - reading McGraths autobiography at the mo and you know, there is more than a hint of similarity in the renaissance both men had.

• Advertisement
Advertisement