Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Player of the Season so far...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Saha
    Gotta be Drogba. Shame he still goes down to easy. His only real fault!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Saha
    Paul Scholes ... with some excellent tackles.

I agree that Scholes is a great player, is having a great season, and will probably be our most important player against top opposition. But he's hardly much of a tackler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I agree that Scholes is a great player, is having a great season, and will probably be our most important player against top opposition. But he's hardly much of a tackler.

QFT! Awful tackler!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Saha
    Drogba again, even as a Chelsea fan I tire of his antics and hate him at times (he's one of the reasons there's so much contempt for Chelsea, well, OK, maybe the whole Abramovich thing helps too), but when he focuses on his game he has been amazing this season.

Other players that have stood out;
    Kevin Doyle (I think the bigest reason for Reading's current placing, and will probably move on to bigger things)
    Saha (risked being a non-entity, but has shined this season, and a good partnership with Rooney)
    Fabregas (one of the best "assisters" this season, tireless worker, often class)
    Giggs (huge upturn in form from what I though was a player past his best)
    Ronaldo (bit of a messer too, but some great play)
    Matthew Taylor (fantastic attacking defender)
    Sol Campbell (has been a rock in defense, good partnership with Primus and Taylor)
    John Terry (still a great engine for Chelsea's style, but is expected to be invincible in defense, which he hasn't been this season, but still been good)
    David James (surprise surprise is all I can think, but played great)

I'm sure there's a good few more I'm forgetting too, but there you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

Saha
    Has to be said, liverpool fans are delusional, cant believe gerrard got 3 votes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,077 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Saha
    Has to be said, liverpool fans are delusional, cant believe gerrard got 3 votes.

thats a bit of a sweeping statement, considering theres a lot more then 3 liverpool fans on here so obviously the vast majority have voted for a non pool player, myself included.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

Saha
    ~Rebel~ wrote:
    thats a bit of a sweeping statement, considering theres a lot more then 3 liverpool fans on here so obviously the vast majority have voted for a non pool player, myself included.

apologies, the three who voted gerrard need help though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

how ronaldo is not on this list, i cant understand. has been uniteds standout player this year, especially in the games away from home.

and what about the team of the season so far? ronaldo, van der sar, vidic, scholes and evra wold get my inclusion from united anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

Scholes
    how ronaldo is not on this list, i cant understand. has been uniteds standout player this year, especially in the games away from home.

and if he was playing for wigan or some other less attractive team, hadnt got a nice tan and looked like wayne rooney he'd just be that useless winger that gives away the ball all the time

clearly i'm not seeing something about him alot of people are. maybe the next time utd are playing i should close one eye and squint with the other, i might see this amazing ability he's got.

player of the season so far? essien for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Ronaldo's improved in fairness though, whjether player of the year calibre I don't kow. Eight goals this season and numerus assists plus he's better with his end product / final ball...still has a long way to go but he's on the right track anyway!

I'm just about as big an anti-Ronaldo man as you'll find but he has been outstanding this season and certainly deserves a place on the list at least. He's been the best United player in the last three (possibly four) Premiership games.

Probably the best attacking midfielder in the league so far this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

eh how is Taylor on that list .. he sux. Sure he scored a few goals but his all around play is woeful. Didnt Redknapp move him to midfield because he couldnt defend to save his life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

el rabitos wrote:
    and if he was playing for wigan or some other less attractive team, hadnt got a nice tan and looked like wayne rooney he'd just be that useless winger that gives away the ball all the time

And if he played for Liverpool you'd say the sun shone out of his a**e. In fairness the guy has been class. Impossible to deny whether you like him or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

Mossy Monk wrote:
    David James
    I concur.

Scholes
    Xavi6 wrote:
    And if he played for Liverpool you'd say the sun shone out of his a**e. In fairness the guy has been class. Impossible to deny whether you like him or not.

i dont like to picture the image of anything shining out of any mans ass tbh, liverpool player or not. if it makes u feel any better, i dont think gerrard or any liverpool player has any business on a "player of the season so far" list. the team as a whole started the season so bad that none of them merit a place.

and its not impossible to deny that ronaldo has been class....check it out, i'm denying it riiiiight......now. see? denied.

• Advertisement

el rabitos wrote:
    i dont like to picture the image of anything shining out of any mans ass tbh, liverpool player or not. if it makes u feel any better, i dont think gerrard or any liverpool player has any business on a "player of the season so far" list. the team as a whole started the season so bad that none of them merit a place.

Did I mention any Liverpool players? No. What I said was if Ronaldo was in the exact same form for Liverpool as he is in now for United you would have him on the list. It's not rocket science.

el rabitos wrote:
    if it makes u feel any better, i dont think gerrard or any liverpool player has any business on a "player of the season so far" list. the team as a whole started the season so bad that none of them merit a place.

Yes, whilst United have had one of their best starts to the Premiership ever, thanks in no small part to a winger who has EIGHT goals already. Thats around the same as what Gerrard, Garcia, Gonzalez and Pennant have put together.

Scholes
    Xavi6 wrote:
    Did I mention any Liverpool players? No. What I said was if Ronaldo was in the exact same form for Liverpool as he is in now for United you would have him on the list. It's not rocket science.

u mentioned liverpool, alluding to the idea that i have red blinkers on and assume liverpool players when playing poorly are really playing great. figuring out what u were getting at is not rocket science.
    MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Yes, whilst United have had one of their best starts to the Premiership ever, thanks in no small part to a winger who has EIGHT goals already. Thats around the same as what Gerrard, Garcia, Gonzalez and Pennant have put together.

wow, **** then he is awesome!

didier drogba has more than twice the amount of goals thierry henry has this season, that means he's more than twice the player henry is too....right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Saha
    Tom Huddlestone

el rabitos wrote:
    didier drogba has more than twice the amount of goals thierry henry has this season, that means he's more than twice the player henry is too....right?

It means he's scored twice as many goals as Henry this season, which means he is probably more deserving of the award. I'm not saying Ronaldo is a better player than Gerrard etc or anything of the sort.

I've despised him for the past few years, still do I guess, but you can't argue with his performances this season, with perhaps the exception of the Arsenal game where he was at fault for the goal. Most games he has played in this season he has been at least 8/10.

Saying you can't see Ronaldo's great ability is ridiculous! But then again, he didn't play in the game against Liverpool... :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Kold wrote:
    Tom Huddlestone

Ye he has been great this season for a 19 year old. I think Spurs got the better deal .. Huddlestone, 19 years of age for 2.5 mil for carrick, 26 and 18.6 million!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Saha
    It would have to be Drogba just ahead of Ronaldo and Scholes.

Some player that Ronaldo fella. 2 more goals today so far and only on 5 minutes.

United at 0-0 at half-time and struggling to break Wigan down.

Ronaldo comes on and within 6 minutes he has scored twice and now United are 3-0 up. Any thoughts, el rabitos?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Saha
    el rabitos wrote:
    wow, **** then he is awesome!

R O N A L D O is flippin deadly so he is, so he is. so there

now Trilla will wait for sarcastic remark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Fabregas
    scholes,raonaldo, drogba or essien.

Scholes
    MrJoeSoap wrote:
    United at 0-0 at half-time and struggling to break Wigan down.

Ronaldo comes on and within 6 minutes he has scored twice and now United are 3-0 up. Any thoughts, el rabitos?

thoughts? u already know my thoughts on ronaldo, read above.
    Trilla wrote:
    R O N A L D O is flippin deadly so he is, so he is. so there

nothing sarcastic to say to ya man, but i'm diggin the capital letters and the spaces, raonaldo is the best.

el rabitos wrote:
    thoughts? u already know my thoughts on ronaldo, read above.

Thats three man-of-the-match performances in the last four games. Will you at least concede that he deserves to be on the list?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Saha
    Is that joint top scorer for the season so far? That's pretty damn impressive for a winger who doesn't usually take penalties.

EDIT: If he can bag a couple of wonder goals and equally good performances against the top teams in the second half of the season, he'll surely be Drogba's only challenger for player of the season.

He's still 2 behind Drogba.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

I think it's between Drogba, Essien and Ronaldo for me plus Fabregas just keeps getting better and better!

I'm going to go for Ronaldo for a few reasons,
    1) Incredible progress he has made this season.
    2) Consistency (which was what a lot of people were complaining he didn't have over the last few seasons)
    3) Sheer entertainment value!

With Drogba a close second any nothing to choose between Essien and Fabregas (tied for third).

Now through bar-code coloured glasses I would hope to see Dyer(IF he can stay fit) and Martins on that list before the end of the season.

edit: mmmm, why isn't Ronaldo on that list? shocking! makes a mockery of the poll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Saha
    Drogba for me as well. Not sure why Gerrard would even be on the shortlist. :confused: All I can remember him doing is diving against Sheffield United, and failing to turn up for the away games at Chelsea and United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

While C.Ronaldo is doing well this season theres still the frustrating parts in his game. He's looking good in highlights but still giving the ball away and being a bit wastfull when you watch the full game. Looking at the goals in his last 2 games.

The first one on saterday was vintage wastfull Ronaldo, he ran 40 yards with the ball and whacked it at a defender, but got lucky when it dropped in front of him to be able to hit it again. Today he did well to get into an empty bit of space and take advantage of horrendous marking. his 2nd , he missed a peno and again got lucky when the rebound dropped right to him. It could be seen as getting the rub of the green but I just dont know, suppose we'll have to see how long this purple patch lasts for.

Scholes
    MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Thats three man-of-the-match performances in the last four games. Will you at least concede that he deserves to be on the list?

no

(sorry to be so blunt)

el rabitos wrote:
    no

(sorry to be so blunt)

Ah now that's just being plain stubborn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Scholes
    Xavi, I don't think you get this yet.

Yes, he may have scored ten goals this season,
    Yes, he may have four assists this season,
    Yes, he may have at least 4 MOM's, probably seven,
    Yes, he may have been integral to United being top of the league,
    Yes, he may have been the best player in the team that is top of the league,
    Yes, he may be on the top points in pretty much every fantasy football league,

But,
    Most of the stuff he does he does cause he's lucky, it's nothing to do with technique

Most of the stuff he does he does is due to bad defending, cause, as we all know, it's not like some of Drogba's goals were due to some bad goalkeeping by Howard, or shocking defending on corner kicks, like today against Reading.

In some matches, he isn't World Class!!!
    Most of these matches, when he plays poor are against the stronger teams [Despite being Utd's best player against the 2nd place team, playing average against the 3rd place team, scoring against the 4th place team, scoring a goal against the 5th place team, missing the match against the sixth place team]

And to top it off, despite running 40 yards, despite beating 4 players, despite his first shot getting blocked and getting to the rebound, despite finishing the ball sublimly, he didn't whack the ball in the net the first time, ****ing waste of space!!!

Scholes
    PHB wrote:
    Xavi, I don't think you get this yet.

Yes, he may have scored ten goals this season,
    Yes, he may have four assists this season,
    Yes, he may have at least 4 MOM's, probably seven,
    Yes, he may have been integral to United being top of the league,
    Yes, he may have been the best player in the team that is top of the league,
    Yes, he may be on the top points in pretty much every fantasy football league,

But,
    Most of the stuff he does he does cause he's lucky, it's nothing to do with technique

Most of the stuff he does he does is due to bad defending, cause, as we all know, it's not like some of Drogba's goals were due to some bad goalkeeping by Howard, or shocking defending on corner kicks, like today against Reading.

In some matches, he isn't World Class!!!
    Most of these matches, when he plays poor are against the stronger teams [Despite being Utd's best player against the 2nd place team, playing average against the 3rd place team, scoring against the 4th place team, scoring a goal against the 5th place team, missing the match against the sixth place team]

And to top it off, despite running 40 yards, despite beating 4 players, despite his first shot getting blocked and getting to the rebound, despite finishing the ball sublimly, he didn't whack the ball in the net the first time, ****ing waste of space!!!

its tough to tell if your being sarcastic there

Saha
    Agreed. It's fairly well hidden sarcasm anyway!

el rabitos wrote:
    no

(sorry to be so blunt)
    xavi6 wrote:
    Ah now that's just being plain stubborn.

Stubborn isn't the word! Seriously el rabitos, what does the guy have to do? 10 goals for a winger is a sensational return.

Sky Sports viewers ratings, just for you El Rabitos!

vs Wigan - 9.0
    vs Villa - 9.4
    vs West Ham - 7.1
    vs Man City - 8.8
    vs Middlesboro - 8.4
    vs Everton - 8.4
    vs Chelsea - 8.0
    vs Sheff Utd - 8.1
    vs Blackburn - 9.0
    vs Portsmouth - 8.7
    vs Bolton - 7.5
    vs Newcastle - 9.2
    vs Reading - 8.7
    vs Arsenal - 6.3
    vs Tottenham - 7.6
    vs Watford - 7.7
    vs Charlton - 8.4
    vs Fulham - 8.5
    el rabitos wrote:
    its tough to tell if your being sarcastic there

No, its tough to tell if you are being sarcastic here. PHB's post is far easier to judge... :D

• Advertisement

Saha
    Lol, Sky Sports viewers ratings are really going to clinch it for anyone on the fence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

ìn fairness, using viewer related data isnt a good way to make a pont, however true it may be. It's like haveing a player of the year poll that includes a Steven Gerrards that has only been on form for the last month.

Bateman wrote:
    Lol, Sky Sports viewers ratings are really going to clinch it for anyone on the fence.

Well in fairness not even the facts have clinched it for some people.

Bateman wrote:

Well I've used my logic and it hasn't worked, maybe using the general publics opinion will do it (yeah right!)...

I'd say there are very few players whose figures would match that.

Scholes
    MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Stubborn isn't the word! Seriously el rabitos, what does the guy have to do? 10 goals for a winger is a sensational return.

Sky Sports viewers ratings, just for you El Rabitos!

vs Wigan - 9.0
    vs Villa - 9.4
    vs West Ham - 7.1
    vs Man City - 8.8
    vs Middlesboro - 8.4
    vs Everton - 8.4
    vs Chelsea - 8.0
    vs Sheff Utd - 8.1
    vs Blackburn - 9.0
    vs Portsmouth - 8.7
    vs Bolton - 7.5
    vs Newcastle - 9.2
    vs Reading - 8.7
    vs Arsenal - 6.3
    vs Tottenham - 7.6
    vs Watford - 7.7
    vs Charlton - 8.4
    vs Fulham - 8.5

No, its tough to tell if you are being sarcastic here. PHB's post is far easier to judge... :D

if phb told me the sky was blue, i'd still have a look for myself.

the votes of skys viewers (the majority voting in those matches no doubt being man yoo fans) means very little to me personally.

sorry for coming across as a stubborn ass, and i do think the guy has bags of talent, he just produces such rubbish far too consistantly to merit a place in any "best of" group of players, other than maybe the "i'm good looking, put bums in seats and sell shirts brigade".

i'd only rate him above luis garcia because he's younger and plays more often

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Scholes
    The Sky is Blue

(Just to waste some of your time)
    SteKelly, I pretty much just used the fantasy rankings to put in these players, I didn't include Ronaldo by mistake actually :)

• Advertisement

el rabitos wrote:
    the votes of skys viewers (the majority voting in those matches no doubt being man yoo fans) means very little to me personally.

Doesn't mean a whole lot to me too, but I'm sure that he's the highest rated United player by some distance. And generally, the best player in the best team in the league would be there or thereabouts for the player of the season award.
    sorry for coming across as a stubborn ass, and i do think the guy has bags of talent, he just produces such rubbish far too consistantly to merit a place in any "best of" group of players

How is he consistently reproducing rubbish though? He's been class almost all season ffs!
    other than maybe the "i'm good looking, put bums in seats and sell shirts brigade".

I'd agree with that maybe last season or the one before, but he has now come into his own.
    i'd only rate him above luis garcia because he's younger and plays more often

There is a hell of a lot more between the two than that.

Saha
    Has anyone got his pass completion ratio?

Scholes
    MrJoeSoap wrote:
    How is he consistently reproducing rubbish though? He's been class almost all season ffs!

thats where we dissagree
    MrJoeSoap wrote:
    I'd agree with that maybe last season or the one before, but he has now come into his own.

i agree he's in a league of his own, but in a completely different context
    MrJoeSoap wrote:
    There is a hell of a lot more between the two than that.

yes there is, luis garcia has been dire and got away with winning a few trophys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Fabregas
    I think people on both sides of the argument have a point here to be honest. If you only watch Match of the Day or a highlights program, you'll see the best of Ronaldo's game. The bit highlights don't show however is the lack of tracking back, the wasted chances and the losing of possesion. Having said that though, he's an extremely attacking orientated winger, if he can either create or score a goal a game, then other players can compensate for him. If you try and change Ronaldo's game, then I would bet that his offensive abilities would suffer.

On the basis of this season, he's definitely one of England's top performers. He needs to start performing in the Champions League though, according to this http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/fo/profiles/19316.html he's got 1 goal in 19 CL games. That's one of the reason why I think Paul Scholes is a bigger player for United than Ronaldo. If he wants this world class tag that's constantly banded around, then he has to start delivering in the Champions League.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Saha
    Drogba himself quoted on this question:

"The voting is not down to me," the Ivorian international told Sky.

"But if I don't win the prize of best player in the Premiership it will be a great let down.

"This is not vanity but reality. I believe that, today, I am the best in the league."

my Personal shortlist is: Drogba, Essien (Chelsea) Ronaldo (Man utd) Gilberto (Arsenal) Kanu, Taylor (Pompey) G. Barry (Villa) Martins (Newcastle)

with a mention going to young players Gabriel Agbonlahor (Aston Villa) Fabergas (Arsenal)

• Advertisement
Advertisement