Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Player of the Season so far...

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

I think people on both sides of the argument have a point here to be honest. If you only watch Match of the Day or a highlights program, you'll see the best of Ronaldo's game. The bit highlights don't show however is the lack of tracking back, the wasted chances and the losing of possesion.

Ever seen Ronaldinho? Trackback he doesn't know the meaning of the word!
    You cannot compare an out and out attacker with a defensive midfielder for example.
    As most managers would say, they know he is going to mess plenty of stuff up and give away possession, but probably only in the opponents half. For every 3/4 times he tries a trick and it doesn't come off there is one that will come off and that could win the match for you.

plus there is not a team in the world who wouldn't take him!

el rabitos: I just can't see your argument, not every player is box to box, Look at Eto'o, Ronaldo (Real Madrid), Shevchenko, Ronaldinho, they don't track back (or at least not enough to count as a regular occurance)

As an attacking midfielder Ronaldo's job is to score goals and setup goals, the statistics support that fact regardless of what else he does in between.

All quality forwards are judged on their statistics e.g. 1:2 goal ratio for a top striker and a 1:3 ratio for a top attacking midfielder would be the expected standard. He meets that standard and also throws in a few nice flicks and tricks to keep us entertained!

Player of the year so far IMO, just above Drogba, just!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Fabregas
    evilhomer wrote:
    Ever seen Ronaldinho? Trackback he doesn't know the meaning of the word!
    You cannot compare an out and out attacker with a defensive midfielder for example.
    Read what I wrote afterwards

"Having said that though, he's an extremely attacking orientated winger, if he can either create or score a goal a game, then other players can compensate for him. "

Also, it's all well and good for Ronaldo to smash a couple of goals past the likes of Wigan or Watford but the real benchmark for a world class player is the Champions League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

It's Ronaldo for me (the skinny one), His performances and attitude have been outstanding considering the problems he has had on and off the pitch over the past year. Losing his Dad, The abuse allegations and the world cup wink, he could have opted for teh easy way out and moved on but he chose to let his football do the talking and he now started to produce the end product that was the missing element in his game.

Drogba has been impressive too, who would have though he would be the one doing the business for Chelsea after shevchenkos arrival?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Fabregas
    Drogba and Ronaldo although different types of players they have their similarities. Both are hugely important to their teams. Both have handed in some massive performances. Both have prodcued moments of brilliance this season.

However both are capable of sheer lunacy with the ball too. Take the 3 chances Drogba had before he scored yesterday. One shot in particular stands out, he sprinted with the ball from the halfway line and then hit the most sublime toebog ive seen since primary schoolyard days.

So many times Ronaldo drives me crazy in this sense too. There are many players who hand in more complete performances week in, week out. Even so these two players are the reason there is a 13 point gap from 2nd to 3rd place and respect must be paid accordingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Saha
    To further advance Ronaldo's case, re: tracking back. It should be quite clear to anyone with even the slightest knowlegde of football what Ronaldo's job is in this context. Ever notice how when United attack on the break it almost always goes through Ronaldo? Ever notice how Ronaldo is usually somewhere around the United penalty area when the opposition are attacking, he just doesn't challenge for the ball or pick up men? Ronaldo is United's paciest, most effective counter-attacker, but a poor defender. Ferguson's strategy is quite obviously for Ronaldo to be in a position to pick up the ball and break if United win possession. If all 11 players were back defending every attack, then there would be nothing to do if they won the ball back other than hoof possession back to the other team.

Ronaldo is told not to track back, his job is not to track back. I think people just have a very low tolerance for players like that and I don't know why. I know when I'm watching football I prefer to see Ronaldo get the ball than Carrick or Gary Neville. Judging by this thread, though, it seems most people are now appreciating Ronaldo more, which is good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Scholes
    Watch Ronaldinho week in week out, and you'll see he gives the ball away quite a bit too. It happens when you try things creativly, because sometimes they don't come off. This season for United though, most of the stuff ROnaldo has done has been pulled off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

That's the thing about Ronaldo this season, more often than not his end product has come off...he's always had bags of potential but it was always the argument "too mnay tricks, never a good final ball, doesn't contribute enough" etc. This season (spurred on by generous Ingerland fans! Thanks lads!) he has realised that potential and the results speak for themselves!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Saha
    Ronaldo has really come into his own in recent weeks but how anyone could say that he has been more influential than Didier Drogba this year baffles me.

Everybody is using the amount of goals Ronaldo has scored as their rationale, but Drogba has scored more and in more crucial games.

Q.E.D.

Yeah that's true. Before the start of this season, Chelski's attacking threat was apparently (and justifiably) going to come from Shevchenko. I think, more than anyone, Drogba has proved himself as a top class striker.

But it's interesting that both Ronaldo and Drogba had both been pretty much written off last season. I mean, who would've thought Drogba was going to be as prolific and spectacular this season judging from his performances last season? (not that he was especially poor last season, I just didn't think he had it in him to play so well this season)

Scholes
    Absolutely Jivin, Drogba and Essien have been much more important and better players than Ronaldo this season, but while I think it is baffling to say that Drogba hasn't been better than Ronaldo, I think it's absurd to try and claim that Ronaldo isn't clearly in the top 4 players this season.

p.s. Ronaldo wasn't written off by any United fans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Saha
    Its really just a battle between Ronaldo,Drogba and Essien if you ask me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

rather that start a new thread, here is my team of the season so far. a few places like right back and left midfield were hard to choose, so i went with a different formation -

Van der sar
    Richards Vidic Terry Evra
    Fabregas Essien Scholes
    Ronaldo Van Pierse
    Drogba

Subs - James, Doyle,Gilberto,Carvalho, Kanu

PHB wrote:

p.s. Ronaldo wasn't written off by any United fans

I think a certain amount of fans would have accepted whatever Real Madrid were reportedly offering in the summer tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Saha
    rather that start a new thread, here is my team of the season so far. a few places like right back and left midfield were hard to choose, so i went with a different formation -

Van der sar
    Richards Vidic Terry Evra
    Fabregas Essien Scholes
    Ronaldo Van Pierse
    Drogba

Subs - James, Doyle,Gilberto,Carvalho, Kanu
    Terry's a bit of a strange one, wouldn't regard him as having the best season. Might shove Carvalho in the starting XI and maybe Campbell on the bench. I think everyone thinks Evra's doing so well simply because he was so ****e last year, I think Ferguson's pretty keen to get Heinze back to his best. Gareth Barry's a left back, so I'd stick him in instead.

With a bit more tinkering, I'll go for this:

James

Richards Carvalho Vidic Barry
    Fabregas Scholes Essien
    Ronaldo Agbonlahor
    Drogba

Subs - Jaaskelinan, Campbell, Gilberto, Kanu, Doyle

Scholes
    Van der sar
    Neville Vidic Carvalho [No left back has really stood out]
    Fabregas Essien Scholes
    Ronaldo
    Drogba Berbatov

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Van Der Sar
    Richards Vidic Carragher Evra
    Giggs Essien Scholes Ronaldo
    Drogba Doyle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Saha

James

Richards--Vidic--Cambell
    --Giggs-Taylor-Essien-Scholes-Ronaldo--
    Drogba
    Doyle

Subs - Jaaskelinan, Ferdinand, Evra, Gilberto, Anelka

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Saha
    Its a toss up between Drogba and Essien so far, and as for the Ronaldo debate, I think Scoles and Gigs have had a bigger impact on United's run of form,

Honorable mention to Kevin Doyle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

PHB wrote:
    Van der sar
    Neville Vidic Carvalho [No left back has really stood out]
    Fabregas Essien Scholes
    Ronaldo
    Drogba Berbatov

i wouldnt have berbatov, purely on the basis that he has yet to score a goal or create an assist away from WHL this season.

• Advertisement
Advertisement