Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pure agony on Phantom 105.2

Options
  • 30-11-2006 11:44am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I know this post will probably be shot down in flames, but this guy is annoying the hell out of me!!!!!!

I now switch stations every time the song finishes and he opens his mouth. Is he still spouting that rubbish diatribe aka a newspaper round-up? If I wanted to hear that sh1te I'd listen to newstalk!! Why does he over emphasise every place name when he does the traffic report. You're not Irish and the names may sound a little odd, GET OVER IT!

BTW Firhouse does not sound like a warm house, that would be FURHOUSE YOU IDIOT!!

The crappy little quizzes and competitions he runs are really amateur, just adds to the meaningless sh1te!

Please change this guy to another shift, he's PURE AGONY!!
    or stick someone else in with him to shut him up for some of the time.
    (PS. the guy in the evenings at least has a sense of humour)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Smurfpiss

Its fair enough if ya don't like him, but eh...try a more positive feedback route next time. rather than callin him an idiot....
    he may get angry. and you dont wanna see sinister when he's angry :eek:
    Out of all the morning shows I find his so far the easiest. so much so i often fall right back asleep :/
    that said he does like to go on a little rant now and then which often leaves me miffed..
    The inability to pronounce irish names i find funny.. but he's got most of them now.
    Overall, good show, good music. less rants. I dunno maybe have another presenter along with him? more banter that way?
    oooh and bring back jimi hendrix for the traffic reports. i love kazoos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭peepingtom

i like pete, but i think a sidekick would be a good idea for a bit of banter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Gerard_Smith

Dyflin wrote:
    I know this post will probably be shot down in flames, but this guy is annoying the hell out of me!!!!!!

I now switch stations every time the song finishes and he opens his mouth. Is he still spouting that rubbish diatribe aka a newspaper round-up? If I wanted to hear that sh1te I'd listen to newstalk!! Why does he over emphasise every place name when he does the traffic report. You're not Irish and the names may sound a little odd, GET OVER IT!

BTW Firhouse does not sound like a warm house, that would be FURHOUSE YOU IDIOT!!

The crappy little quizzes and competitions he runs are really amateur, just adds to the meaningless sh1te!

Please change this guy to another shift, he's PURE AGONY!!
    or stick someone else in with him to shut him up for some of the time.
    (PS. the guy in the evenings at least has a sense of humour)

Could have gone about this is a more constructive way my friend. Ranting and throwing around insults on a message is never a good way of getting your point across. Now as you say a lot of people will disagree with you position (myself included) but it is important to not only acknowledge that but have respect for that, after all there opinions are as valid as your own. Also I think its important to show a bit of respect for the man himself who is doing a hard job at an ungodly hour of the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭geekstinkbreath

I personally love waking up to sinister pete in the mornings! i was going mad listening to ian dempsey's chatter in the mornings but it didn't instill me with such anger that i needed to write insulting messages about him. Pete's funny,plays great some of the best tunes and always has something interesting to say if you just listen. everyone's opinion should be respected, but as gerard smith rightly says so should petey who manages somehow to function at such an early hour! If you want him to talk to a sidekick, listen to the two petes!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

i loved sinister pete.. till i didn't win any Duke Special tickets.. now i'll hold it against him forever.
    good show IMHO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭buzzerbuckley

Sinister seems to be one of the Best Phantom DJ`s and along with Edel Coffey the most popular.

Most people though do seem to have a problem with the 2-5 show with Simon Maher with too little music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Charliechicks

Dyflin wrote:

Hardly what one would call constructive criticism. This is just a nasty personal attack! A lot of people text in and get a bit of fun out of the "little quizzes and competitions". Maybe you don't like them and think they're crappy because the prizes are either very small or there is no prize - it's just for fun! Phantom has just started on they're operating on a tight budget unlike Today FM etc.. and can't stretch to skiing holidays as yet.
    I love listening to Pete in the mornings, I think he's great on the radio - laid back and fun and Phantom is a great station :cool: Keep up the good work lads. Most of us are 100% behind you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 fintabulous

Well personally it gives me the biggest kick in the mornings to wake up to Sinister-can't count the number of times I've actually laughed out loud on the bus in the mornings due to that man...now i usually get a full seat to myself...another reason to love the man!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

Tyrrial wrote:
    i loved sinister pete.. till i didn't win any Duke Special tickets.. now i'll hold it against him forever.
    good show IMHO

i take it back...
    just the first part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 backpacker

Well I'm going to join the Sinister Pete Defence League at this point, as one of the regular texters with whom there's something approaching a daily dialogue going on at this stage.

I first encountered Sinister Pete way back in the early days of Anna Livia and it's fair to say that we would have had very different philosophies back then (as in Pete actually had one!) There were times when I found him a bit intimidating that's for sure and I'm not sure if he knew that. However, I bumped into him in the centre of town by chance a couple of years later and saw a side to the guy that I'm sure many have. He's an absolute gentleman at heart and very, very genuine. Why shouldn't he have been you might ask? Well, as anyone who's ever found another person to be a tad difficult at the first encounter will know, you really appreciate any effort they make to break the ice. I'm absolutely thrilled that he now has the chance to make an impact across Dublin and he has me hooked every morning.

And as regards diatribes or rants...asking people to be decent to immigrants because of what his own Dad went through in Canada? I actually found that moving and it's about time someone with a microphone at their disposal defended some basic values of humanity around here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Ah Pete is sound and Pure Morning is a great morning show. If you don't like it there's plenty of phony crap on the other stations so just switch over.

Honestly i listen to Pete every morning now and enjoy it, nice relaxing start to the day. I can also back up the fact that he is a very decent and genuine bloke and it's a pleasure to know him (despite his sometimes disturbing affinity for donkeys! eh Pete :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Rojo

I think he's great. Has me in stitches with the traffic reports! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Rojo wrote:
    Has me in stitches with the traffic reports! :D

I have mixed feelings about that point, mind. While I think, on the whole, the show is better than in the first week, I feel that the traffic reports should be treated fairly seriously, as people do want to know if their are accidents or problems on their route. I know, I'm one of them.

We all know that Queen St is back to King St, but there is no need to gloss over it. I don't mind Pete mispronouncing in his Canadian accent, so long as its clearly understood where the problems are. Now, I do know that is partially down to the quality of the supplied report, (if it comes from the organisation I think it does) but I find I do have to go to DCAL FM for Live Drive for a minute or two.

Once Pete is introducing and playing the music, its all good, he's a great jock :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Aye, traffic reports are the one area where I think he could improve. If it's causing people to switch station to get an accurate/serious traffic report in the morning then surely that's not good?

I realise a lot of the listeners won't be commuting in the mornings, but for those of us who are it can help our mood if we at least know what to expect when it comes to where delays are etc.

Otherwise no complaints.

If i had to read traffic reports that were the exact same every time and every day, I'd start to gloss over them too.
    Everyone knows what to expect with dublin traffic - it's always bad and delays are in the same places. end of report!
    constipation hill indeed!

If i had to read traffic reports that were the exact same every time and every day, I'd start to gloss over them too.
    Everyone knows what to expect with dublin traffic - it's always bad and delays are in the same places. end of report!

Quite true, but because it seems the same every day doesn't make it less relevant. People go to work via the same route every day. They need to know that is its better or worse than normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Oisinjm

peepingtom wrote:
    i like pete, but i think a sidekick would be a good idea for a bit of banter

I remember the days of The two Petes talk rubbish. That was a mad laugh every night. I say bring that back. Good stuff

Oisinjm wrote:
    I remember the days of The two Petes talk rubbish. That was a mad laugh every night. I say bring that back. Good stuff

*Turns head and looks at Oisinjm in a queer manner*

*psst* Sundays at 9...

constipation hill indeed!
    You're clearly not a regular commuter, they're not the exact same every time, hence their relevance to people who do spend hours getting to work/college.

Stop being a sycophant for two seconds and think about the people who are trying to give constructive criticisms.

Glossing over things like traffic reports, which many people find useful, is what makes a show or a presenter seem unprofessional and will ultimately cause some potential new/regular listeners to tune into something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Charliechicks

Well I am a regular commuter and I think his traffic reports are just fine. Why do they have to be deathly serious? You still get the information. I don't get with all this talk of "unprofessionalism". If you have ever listened to Indie/Rock Radio in any other country you'd see it's always just cool and laid back with a pirate feel to it. That's how Phantom always was and if they suddenly went all "slick" people would be turned off by that. These guys are smart and know their audience in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭MOTHERTRUCKER

I LOVE Sinister pete.

Unfortunatley amz seems to think that because i dont want to listen to a longwinded traffic report i must be someone with nowhere to get to in the mornings.
    I am a very regular commuter, I have to sit through the rush hour traffic every weekday morning to be in at nine for work across town and go home at 6. I appreciate the traffic reports and personally have found them helpful many times, so I have no problem letting pete be relaxed about it as it helps the monotony of sitting in traffic all week.
    I am not being 'a sycophant' by defending pete and the station in its approach to traffic reports etc. I agree with charliechicks' point that it all helps to create a certain feeling about the station which gives it an edge. If people dont like the approach then they're welcome to change stations and equally welcome to change back when they feel they can listen again. I dont think they'll be loosing that many listeners over the traffic reports, every station has to deal with channel surfers, but in the end I think the quality music while other stations are talking will attract new listeners.

I think there has to be a bit of a conspiricy about all the people posting on this board saying they like him.
    If its you Sinister Pete trying to defend yourself "nice try".

Ummm 14 people come to his defence and you say he's registered *all* these different accounts.

Yes...and i heard he shot jfk.

He plays a good mix, he's a funny guy. he is not patronising. he does not have retarded conversations with 4 year olds asking them to make fart noises, nor does he do "topical sketches" that are about as funny as a dead puppy.

And after being on the radio god knows how many years, probably before you were a twinkling in your suffering parents' eyes, I doubt you can call him an amateur.

By all means, throw in some constructive criticism, but fanatical conspiracy theories wont get you very far....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

Smurfpiss wrote:

By all means, throw in some constructive criticism, but fanatical conspiracy theories wont get you very far....

Here here (or is it hear hear? No idea). Let us spare the idiocy for other threads, please.

It's "hear hear" Wacker,

Wacker, where you watching UFC 66?

(I've watched GSP and Hughes about twenty times since it was on!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭MOTHERTRUCKER

OK.
    I can at least do that Simon Maher.
    I can be reasonable.
    My tale's between my legs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

Amz wrote:
    It's "hear hear" Wacker,

Wacker, where you watching UFC 66?

(I've watched GSP and Hughes about twenty times since it was on!)
    You mean 65? 66 hasn't happened yet, you silly blonde!

Of course I was, and St Pierre Vs Hughes was one of the greatest fights ever. But this would be better suited to a different forum, I would suggest....

By the way, you really do follow my posts pretty close, don't you? Should I check the bushes around my house every so often for a stalky Amz?

Well I am a regular commuter and I think his traffic reports are just fine. Why do they have to be deathly serious? You still get the information. I don't get with all this talk of "unprofessionalism". If you have ever listened to Indie/Rock Radio in any other country you'd see it's always just cool and laid back with a pirate feel to it. That's how Phantom always was and if they suddenly went all "slick" people would be turned off by that. These guys are smart and know their audience in my opinion.

And I for one don't want Phantom to be too "slick". But that's not the issue here.

Traffic is serious if you are in it for a living. Its important to a lot of people to get clear, accurate traffic reports. As I said before, because it seems the same every day doesn't make it less relevant. It was the "yada-yada-yada" comment on Queen St./King St. traffic a couple of times last week that triggered off my comment. If you, like me, were stuck on Queen Street when that traffic report was read out, it doesn't help one's mood when you were looking for more information about what's forthcoming after the next set of lights. That morning, I didn't get the information.

Its really a small detail that can have a huge impact on the target audience.

yanky
    he's Canadian. different nation. Dare I call you english? Ill just ignore your other comments, but i'd do as simon says (heh...simon says).

• Advertisement

Wacker wrote:
    You mean 65? 66 hasn't happened yet, you silly blonde!
    I know that you spanner, I'm just wondering where you will be watching 66? Jeeze, learn Engalish will ya?
    Of course I was, and St Pierre Vs Hughes was one of the greatest fights ever. But this would be better suited to a different forum, I would suggest....

By the way, you really do follow my posts pretty close, don't you? Should I check the bushes around my house every so often for a stalky Amz?
    I think you'll find that I was here first.

Advertisement