Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

High octane petrol in Ireland?

Options
  • 21-12-2006 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭

Noticed as I've been driving around that 97 or 98 octane super unleaded seems to have disappeared completely!? Haven't quite driven around the entire country yet, but is super unleaded widely available or has it become a niche fuel here?

Curious because I tend to run my car on 97 octane while I'm in the UK (been there for ages now) and I'm back on normal stuff now & can actually notice the difference.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

its is harder to get these days alright. What car do you drive?

Have a search of the board as a couple of places that sell it were discussed, as well as the dubious benefits of higher octane fuels themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Whats the crack with shell V-Power, have filled my car a couple of times with this and really can not notice any difference....is it higher octaine or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

some classic car drivers use lead substitute + octane booster
    e.g. "Castrol Valvemaster Plus"

there must be an octane boost only option

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Whats the crack with shell V-Power, have filled my car a couple of times with this and really can not notice any difference....is it higher octaine or what?
    I read that legally all petrol has to have cleaning agents added for the engine.
    Shell Vpower has 5 times the amount of cleansers compared to standard petrol.
    It's only 95 ,but a clean 95 so realistically your car should run faster :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Thanks Brian.....I feel like I should treat the car to a few tanks of the good stuff every now and again...dont know how much difference it really makes in the real world but I can only do my best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I reckon V Power is too expensive for what you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Mythago

its is harder to get these days alright. What car do you drive?

Have a search of the board as a couple of places that sell it were discussed, as well as the dubious benefits of higher octane fuels themselves.

Drive a 323i and usually run 97 octane, I rather anally worked out my total saving to be about 5%(mpg vs extra cost). Worth it in UK as fuel is a good 20% more expensive than here plus after 4 months straight of 97 the car definitely feels sweeter. But I did notice before I came home that 97 octane is going up in price again.

Down in Limerick at moment, but not seen any anywhere, but then again, I haven't really asked!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

It's a nuisance OK.

Every time I open the filler flap on mine I see 98.

It was readily available a few years ago but seems to have disappeared completely.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Mythago

It's a nuisance OK.

Every time I open the filler flap on mine I see 98.

It was readily available a few years ago but seems to have disappeared completely.

Pain in the arse alright:rolleyes: From memory it was alway super unleaded 98, but now in the uk it 97 in normal garages and 99 at tesco's!? Anyways, I'll live with 95 while I'm home since its so cheap :D

Advertisement