Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

constant bleeding of attic radiator

Options
  • 21-12-2006 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭

I guess its that time of year for all of the radiator issues.

We converted the attic last summer & the plumber installed a radiator for us. Because it is the same level at the water tank in the loft, he pressurised the system.

The radiator in the attic (as with the rest of the house) gets lovely & hot, but I find that I have to bleed the attic one almost weekly to keep it that way. There's doesn't appear to be any leaks in the system - not visible ones anyway - so how is the air getting in & why is it only affecting the attic rad ??

Any thoughts

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Andip wrote:
    I guess its that time of year for all of the radiator issues.

We converted the attic last summer & the plumber installed a radiator for us. Because it is the same level at the water tank in the loft, he pressurised the system.

The radiator in the attic (as with the rest of the house) gets lovely & hot, but I find that I have to bleed the attic one almost weekly to keep it that way. There's doesn't appear to be any leaks in the system - not visible ones anyway - so how is the air getting in & why is it only affecting the attic rad ??

Any thoughts
    Can't talk now :o
    Look for some posts on topping up a system and making sure there is enough pressure in the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Hi Folks,

Can I please bring this thread back ? - All my [mainly] upstairs rads seem to airlock to a large extent.....What is step one in getting to the root of this?

- On the other hand - We're in the house two years now without having the gas bolier or heating system serviced - prob. wise to book a call and quiz yer man on it ? - Is there safety issues with an unserviced boiler or can you just ignore it 'til the day it fails to work and then call someone ?

- I'm in Limerick in a very average 3 bed semi-d - how much [approx.] should I expect to pay for a general service and what should the bloke actually do during the course of this service ? - just so I have a ballpark figure in mind.

Thanks,

Raiser

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Raiser wrote:
    Hi Folks,

Can I please bring this thread back ? - All my [mainly] upstairs rads seem to airlock to a large extent.....What is step one in getting to the root of this?

- On the other hand - We're in the house two years now without having the gas bolier or heating system serviced - prob. wise to book a call and quiz yer man on it ? - Is there safety issues with an unserviced boiler or can you just ignore it 'til the day it fails to work and then call someone ?

- I'm in Limerick in a very average 3 bed semi-d - how much [approx.] should I expect to pay for a general service and what should the bloke actually do during the course of this service ? - just so I have a ballpark figure in mind.

Thanks,

Raiser
    I am not an expert on gas boilers, but they should be serviced for safety reasons more than the fact that dirt builds up in them. You can get a build up of fluff in the wrong places and the service guy will do some safety checks to make sure that solenoid valves and safety cut offs work in the event of a flame failure. I think the charge for this is about Euro70.00. He may charge more if you ask him to look at rads etc.
    To get the air out of your system, you need to find the valve for filling the system (hotpress ?) and the gauge to show how much water you are putting in. The needle needs to go to about 1 bar.
    Jim.
    P.S. Is Raiser an appropriate name for someone living in Limerick :eek:
    Just joking :D I lived there years ago and was down for the Leinster game a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Hey James,

Many thanks for your reply - greatly appreciated :D

- I originally picked the name Raiser as my Playername in online shooting games as I wanted something that sounded sufficiently bloodthirsty and brutal - the same attributes are often required when posting on boards.ie ;)

- Was at Munster V. Leinster too - good match......:p

Cheers,

Raiser

Advertisement