Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Problem with my Polo

Options
  • 21-12-2006 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

I have a 3 door 2001 VW polo.
    Recently an ABS light has been coming on intermittently on the dashboard. It seems to come and go randomly, it'll come on for a while and then will go away of its own accord.

In addition to this, there's been a problem with the handbrake light coming on when I'm driving or starting the car up. The handbrake light will flash on the dashboard and is accompanied by a beeping noise.
    Are these problems related? Anyone know what could be causing these problems and whether or not they're serious?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

Check brake fluid level

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

First of all check your brake fluid level - thats most likely the reason the handbrake light is coming on. It may cure both the fault lights, you never know. If the ABS light persists after you have verified that the fluid level is OK, then you will need a diagnosis to confirm what is at fault.

If you find that your brake fluid is low then get the brake pads checked in case they are worn.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭pauld

is there a hole in the middle? if so, buy silvermints

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭nachos

crosstownk wrote:
    First of all check your brake fluid level - thats most likely the reason the handbrake light is coming on. It may cure both the fault lights, you never know. If the ABS light persists after you have verified that the fluid level is OK, then you will need a diagnosis to confirm what is at fault.

If you find that your brake fluid is low then get the brake pads checked in case they are worn.

Cheers for the responses.
    How do you check the brake fluid and how do you know if it's low?
    If it is low, how do I top it up and is there any specific brake fluid I should be using? Or is this a job for a mechanic?

(Can you tell that I nothing about cars?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Check your manual - it will explain in detail in the 'Maintenance' section. If you're in any doubt just call into somewhere like Advance Tyres and they will check it for you for a relatively minor fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

pauld wrote:
    is there a hole in the middle? if so, buy silvermints

or maybe some fox's? (if polo's are out of budget)

Advertisement