Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Less than 50% of broadband with Eircom

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Pg 19 .. Growth in PC Penetration vs. Internet Subscription Penetration vs. BB Penetration remains static (i.e. they're growing by the same amount, approximately). While "lack of demand" might be a portion, we have to accept that availability and ease of connection/switching providers are in there too. We can argue the toss over the proportion, because that's not reported on (wonder why?!).

Pg 21 DSL, despite being by far the most used BB service, has the lowest growth figures (whatever way you look at them). This highlights the continued exchange-reach and half-assed-amber-program problems that aren't being addressed quick enough. The same said growth figures fly in the face of "nobody wants it"-type statements from ComReg/DCMNR

Pg 24 .. "new and enhanced" DSL baskets don't include line rental (an unavoidable cost of getting DSL)

Ah, the good oul 20Mb figure appears.. we're definitely in for a line rental increase soon so! The last 3 pages offer meaningless "data" or, rather, opinion as to future use of broadband. Now where did that 20Mb figure come from... and of the €50 to €400 figure (cost per subscriber to roll out that new infrastructure), I'm betting (I'll go above a fiver this time, if anyone wants to bet) that eircom are pushing that figure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

I wonder does the BB figures include the Timed products? Given they are not "always on" and all that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

crawler wrote:
    I wonder does the BB figures include the Timed products? Given they are not "always on" and all that?

Its just a grooming exercise (like pedophiles do) for the Irish market, preparing us for a hike in line rental.

According to Comreg our baskets are all "cheap" because they ignore the line rental aspect to the costs.
    I find it bizarre that they include "line rental" for cable but ignore that part for DSL...whats with that?

Fantasy reports (like fantasy football) are useless, we have to look to other regulators, like the UK regulator, for real hard information on these issues.
    According to the UK regulator our fixed line costs are the most expensive in the EU and here we have Comreg trying to peddle fantasy nonsense about us being "cheaper".

Complete rubbish as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

crawler wrote:

I asked someone in ComReg about this and they replied:
    We do not gather a break-down via the Quarterly Report questionnaire. Currently we collect broadband susbcribers by business and residential users and do not distinguish by speeds, always-on versus timed etc.

However we did try to fill this gap with our Q2 Trends survey carried out by Amárach
    http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/ComReg0657a.pdf

Slide 57 has the data - 15% of broadband users (119/1,0200 adults) said they subscribed to a time-based package and 62% said they had an always-on package.

There were a high number of Don't knows however (23%).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

I'd be very interested in the conversion rate from timed to always-on broadband.

Most people I know who signed up for timed bb have eventually migrated to an always-on product once they've seen the benefits of any kind of bb (and seen how they're approaching their 20 hour limit). Further confirming my personal view that timed broadband is a good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Im sure most of you are probably better informed that I but i thought you'd be interested to know that Eircoms share in the irish broadband market has dropped to just slightly below 50% thats according to www.enn.ie but they still have a huge share of the fixed line market

Comreg's latest quarterly report shows Eircom's share of broadband subscriptions fell below 50 percent for the first time during the third quarter of 2006 due to customers' decisions to try out other packages from competing providers.

At the end of September, 49 percent of broadband subscribers were using an Eircom-retailed DSL service. Meanwhile, high-speed internet platforms such as cable, fixed wireless, satellite and fibre increased their combined share of the market to 27 percent of all broadband subscriptions.

Moreover, although Eircom's fixed line market share is still enormous at 72 percent, the report shows a 2 percent decrease in market share by revenue.

read the full story at

http://www.enn.ie/frontpage/news-9860630.html

all i can say is its seriously about time competition got some market share
    i read that 35% of new broadband connections are now with BT Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

1huge1 wrote:
    all i can say is its seriously about time competition got some market share
    i read that 35% of new broadband connections are now with BT Ireland

But it is a resold eircom product so eircom still dictates availability, speed and price. So not that great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

If anything it's worse! The consumer will lose out, ultimately. I mean the resellers all compete on price, but not many compete on service (QoS, tech support, etc.), and certainly none CAN compete on line faults (oh, you must report that to your provider, says eircom .. "it's eircom's fault" says provider, and around you go).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

thanks for merging the threads never noticed you already had a thread on it damien

yes i know their reselling a product an its not enough
    but its better than nothing
    id be most happy if companies could choose their own line rental then they would all be cheaper (bar eircom of course who love charging their €25 last i checked)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

BendiBus wrote:
    I'd be very interested in the conversion rate from timed to always-on broadband.

Most people I know who signed up for timed bb have eventually migrated to an always-on product once they've seen the benefits of any kind of bb (and seen how they're approaching their 20 hour limit). Further confirming my personal view that timed broadband is a good idea.
    I know one person who downgraded to timed because it was so expensive, he said. There is not reason why always on BB should not be cheaper than the current timed product.

It is an artificial product in response to artificially high prices.

• Advertisement
Advertisement