Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

****e arse, bollix !

Options
  • 21-12-2006 9:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭

Right, got home from work today to open a nice package from oveclockers. Fist thing was firt, uninstall the nvidia drivers, use driver cleaner. And install the ati stuff.

Well i installed the card. did a test boot and it was fine. So turned the pc off to cable tidy a little bit.

reinstalled the card turned the pc on * GRRRRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNDDDDD*

Holy ****ing ****, i thought. What the **** was that.

Turned the pc off. Looked around, couldnt see anything. Untill i removed the graphics car. My heart stopped. one of the fans caught on the heatpipe cover and shredded off three of its bladed. I took them out And re seated the graphics card. The fan spun for about 30 seconds with a almighty ammount of vibration it actually shook the case. Now the fan fails to work at all. So one heatpipe runs nice and cool, and the otherone runs so hot it burns my finger to touch it. I have 2 blisters ot prove it.

So out of curiosity i thought it open up the ati control panel and look at the temps. 42C !!!! Huh ?

So i thought okay, lets run something not to intensive, so i picked 3dmark 01.

Let it fly through and checked the temps one again. 68C

Now i know this thing is tec cooled too. but this cant be right....Can it ?

Is there any 3rd party programs i can use to monitor the temps ? I'm gonna run bf2142 for half hour and see what happens.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

ya try ati tool this will monitor the temps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Typical, the x1950 is not supported :/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

think it is in the new virson.

HAd to drop back to a older build. no temp support, but better overclocking options. The core was at 584, its now overclocked to 680. Temps dont seem to rise above 70C. Looks like the car is not being effected at all. as there are no artifacts what so ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

anti wrote:
    one of the fans caught on the heatpipe cover and shredded off three of its bladed.

How did this happen? Do you have a picture or something?

• Advertisement

I've no idea how to be honest, First boot with the card in and it worked fine. Maybe i hit of a fan blade and bent it back slightly. There is hardly any clearance between the fan and the cover as it is. Very cheap fans too, lightweight and very rubbery.

Ill upload a picture tomorrow. As i cant find the usb cable for my phone to transfer a picture over :/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Can you not replace the fan or heatsink with an aftermarket solution?

Well the one thats comes with it is the best on the market, It s tec cooled, with dual heatpipes and dual fans. So i could, but performance would drop drasticially. As the card is highly clocked from standard.

Advertisement