Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Title Revealed

• 21-12-2006 10:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

About time!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

not the best name, but it may grow on me.

In the same way as she doesn't want to finish it, I don't know if I really want to read it, it will be the end of the franchise, on the other foot tho... gimme gimme gimme!

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭the evil lime

Hopefully, like all the other titles, it'll make more sense when we get the book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I'm guessing they're related to the Hallows of Arthurian legend, which in turn are related to all sorts of things (the suits in a Tarot Deck, for one).

Wand, Sword, Cup and Coin.

Typically two are male aspected, and two female....which would line up nicely with the four founders of Hogwarts.

We know that Godric Gryffindor's sword is still knocking about, and there is a mention of a cup belonging to Helga Hufflepuff...nicely matching the gender-aspects. (Both have also been strong candidates in the long-running "where are the remaining Horcruxes)

I'm willing to guess there's another pair of relics which will match up nicely.

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭nando

That theory that the Founders' relics are connected to the Arthurian Hallows and also to the 4 elements has been becoming really popular for a while now and all the main HP sites have been linking the new title to these being the horcruxes since the new title came out. I really like this theory but Gryffindor's sword is not a horcrux is it so I don't know how that fits.

Interestingly the Dutch publishers have posted the title on their site as something which translates to HP and the Deathly Shrine/Sancturary - this seems like it may refer to the Veil. I think Harry will have to make a trip into the Underworld like in any Hero's Journey - like Arthur going to Annwn or Orpheus to the Underworld and that the Veil is the entrance to the Underworld. Whether or not that means he'll be dead or not I don't know...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,459 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Wow, all this is really quite complex for what started out as a kids book.

If Harry has to go through that veil, it means Sirius will be there. Cos he went through it and was "gone" but not dead. This is gonna be some nuts book, even I'll be confused

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Lol started re-reading the book bout 2-3 days ago and this morning i noticed on page 507 that Prof.Trelawney predicted what would happen in the "Lighting struck tower" that night saying "It moves ever closer"..Amazing what ya find if you re-read the book..lol couldnt Believe id missed that..oh ye can someone explain this viel thing?like he just fell threw a curtain??Im sure everyone imangeation has a differnt idea of what this is like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

I read in the Irish Times , that HP7 will be released in April of this year ??

is this true ??

seems soon, i thought they would go for the 7-7-07 .

Jackdaw, saw the same thing and came here to say that. Hope it is out then though. So much better. Then again, on the cd section, it said a Metallica cd would be out in April and they've barely even started recording anything so it might be a guess date they have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

it will be the final instalment

Is there any way of holding her to this? Or are we going to get "HP28: Harry Potter and the Mid-Life Career Crisis" etc for the next 2000,0000 years?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

jackdaw wrote:
    I read in the Irish Times , that HP7 will be released in April of this year ??

is this true ??

seems soon, i thought they would go for the 7-7-07 .
    7/7/07 would be nice but it isn't likely as it'd be too close to the release of the fifth movie, and also it's the second anniversary of the London bombings, which may discourage JK to use it as a realease date.

Would she actually taint the whole series by actually coming back with another book after saying for years that the 7th will be the last one? Although if it does happen, Harry may be 28 and going through a mid-life crisis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Would she actually taint the whole series by actually coming back with another book after saying for years that the 7th will be the last one?

What do you think? $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Then again she'll probably circumvent it by cobbling together a whole other genre into something instantly recognisable but with the unmistakable aftertaste of twaddle concocted by a Plagiarism Engine that has been fed 2000 years worth of fantasy/folklore.

My money is on "Bridget Rocketshuttle - the adventures of a young Space Cadet at the Robert Heinlein Memorial University. Episode 1: Bridget Rocketshuttle and the Space Oddyssey Star Wars Starship Troopers from beyond the 5th Dimension."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭nando

Talk about cynical!

I sincerely doubt the book will be out by April. Besides, none of the major HP information sources have said anything about April and I find it hard to believe the Irish Times would be the first to know such news.

There does seem to be lots of speculation of 07/07/07 but I agree that seems a little close to the movie release.

A distributor for Scholastic (the American publisher) put 31/07/07 on their website last week but it's not official. That seems like a possibility to me - Harry's and JKR's birthday.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I would say that there's not a chance in hell of her writing any more HP books. She has said previously that she might write a couple of those small books that she did before, the ones for Comic Relief, "100 Magical Creatures and Where to Find Them" and whatnot. I'm putting my money on her killing off Harry just so the books can never be continued.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I agree that she won't write anymore. But i would like to think that she wouldn't write the story she has alway imagined first. Then deal with issues like continuing the books outside of the series. Hate to see the real story affected. Beside didnt Arthur Conan Doyle do that to end the sherlock holmes stories, but ended up bringing him back anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

nando wrote:
    That theory that the Founders' relics are connected to the Arthurian Hallows and also to the 4 elements has been becoming really popular for a while now and all the main HP sites have been linking the new title to these being the horcruxes since the new title came out. I really like this theory but Gryffindor's sword is not a horcrux is it so I don't know how that fits.

I dunno about the Hallows being the Horcruxes, but I do tend to side with the "Hallows are the relics" bit.
    Interestingly the Dutch publishers have posted the title on their site as something which translates to HP and the Deathly Shrine/Sancturary - this seems like it may refer to the Veil.
    Maybe. It could also be a reference to Godric's Hallow, and a suggestion that there's more than one such location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Amorphous Head

and Harry himself might not survive.

what are peoples vies on this statement
    i dont think he'll die

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

bonkey wrote:

Maybe. It could also be a reference to Godric's Hallow, and a suggestion that there's more than one such location.
    No....it's Godric's Hollow, not Hallow

what are peoples vies on this statement

Personally, I think she's just uping the tension. I just cant see Harry dying, but theres a bit of me that wants to be proved wrong for this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

I cannot see her keeping Harry alive. Not because it's to do with the story or whatever, but because it will make it so no-one can, by some means, get the copyrights and make a sequel. She intended there to be only 7 books and I want there to be only 7. Any more and it will lose it's magic (pardon the pun)

Advertisement