Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Quality Bulbs?

Options
  • 21-12-2006 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a brand of bulb maker that should last longer than others?

Have been using cheapie Halford bulbs as replacements but they seem to have a shorter life and need replacing a lot more frequently than other manufacturers I've tried.

Given the pain in the ass that is bulb changing (imho) I'd spend a few quid extra on a bulb that lasted longer.

Anyone have recommendations for a brand or type that gives long life before needing replacement?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I hear General Electric make good bulbs. I use them for my lights, and so far, none have blown yet (they've been in the car for about 3 years now).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Osrams always seem to do well in the AutoExpress tests

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Second the Osrams.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I use Philips. They usually put an end to the persistent bulb blowing that doggs Saabs and Volvos and other models with daytime driving lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

I will third the Osrams but I have heard that the Phillips ones are good too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Do the standard motor factors stock different brands? I've never been asked which brand I would like when ordering bulbs - just the wattage. I seem to replace at least one bulb every fortnight!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've replaced my standard bulbs with Philips Vision Plus, and as others have said, Osram do a similar bulb which is also rated quite highly. I got mine online from powerbulbs.co.uk, because I couldn't be bothered traipsing round the motor factors. I've had none of the problems some people appear to have had with them blowing more often than 'normal' bulbs to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

I normally when I need to replace a bulb I replace with Tungsten from the motor factors.Seem to be okay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭ismynametoolong

Some manufacturers can suffer from early bulb failure and in a lot of cases it has been the H 7 type bulb that blows. The H7 has a much smaller foot plate than the older type H4 and depending on headlamp design the H7 can suffer from poor heat dissapation allowing the element to over heat and fail.
    From experience i have found the Philips vision plus bulbs to be good but can be hard to find here. If it is a problem that really annoys you you could try a modification that a certain manufacturer introduced which was to solder a length aprox 6" of wire to the foot plate and a small washer at the other end this greatly improves the heat dissapation.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Philips Vision Plus or Osrams it is next time!, thanks.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

colm_mcm wrote:
    Second the Osrams.
    I tried the Osrams in my Passat but didn't find them as good as the Philips GT150 Power2Night bulbs that I'd had in my Mitsubishi Mirage previously.

I've since gotten a set for the Passat and find them much better... good prices to be found on uk e-bay shops.

Advertisement