Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPS delivery tax

Options
  • 21-12-2006 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭

Got a delivery notice today from UPS(wasnt here when the driver arrived) and it says I owe them 36 euro. The item I bought was only 41 euro:eek: The thing is the shipping cost me $50, do you pay tax on the delivery charge and the item cost or is it just the item cost? Are they just chancing there arm, is there any way out of this? Thanks.

p.s. I havent posted one thread in after hours that hasnt been moved so if this is in the wrong place I apologise.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

p.s. I havent posted one thread in after hours that hasnt been moved so if this is in the wrong place I apologise.
    So... this keeps happening? ¬_¬

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Moved from AH, make a note of the other forums for future reference please

The item was shipped from outside the EU? If so then there is no way out of it. You pay tax on the total cost of the item including shipping I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

36 euros on 79 euros still seems high(45%). Isnt vat 21%? What else would I be paying for?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

VAT on delivery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Safrole

You need to differentiate what UPS do to what an Post do. Long and short, UPS provided a service to you - they got you your package probably a long time before an Post standard post would have. And vat, tax, whatever is chargable on all goods and services. We're just used to the vat being included in the price, and not listed seperately on most occasions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

you have to vat (21%), possibly duty (anything up to 13.5% depending on the item) plus a UPS handling charge (€15 I think) so €36 is about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Beano wrote:
    UPS handling charge (€15 I think) so €36 is about right.

Well considering it cost me $50 to ship a 7lb package I dont think thats right charging another 15 euro handling charge. Also charging VAT on delivery is digraceful imo. Surely it should only be charged on the product. What does the UPS delievery charge have to do with anything?

Anyway the guy came and I payed him. Once bitten twice shy I suppose. The item also took 10 days to arrive. I would have expected a bit better for $50 and one of the "best delivery companies in the world". I wont be buying products that are shipped by UPS again.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Vat on delivery charge is standard practice. Id imagine because the carraige is part of the cost of the goods (and to stop people scamming the system by paying feck all for the item and loading the p&p)

UPS charge you for their processing the vat and duty etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

yeh i got stung for about €68 for a digital camera bought for about €150.
    I was a while ago....but a sickner.
    Avoid UPS and Fedex if you are buying from outside the EU.

Ridiculous to be charged tax on the damn shipping (what has this got to do with the customs).
    And then these companies charge their own fee on top of that.

Now I have bought a unit for my guitar at $450 by Fedex.
    I am still waiting for the bill.....not looking forward to this one!!!!!!!!!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

y
    Ridiculous to be charged tax on the damn shipping (what has this got to do with the customs).
    And then these companies charge their own fee on top of that.

Shipping is a service, there is VAT on services. So no difference here really.

Why would they not charge a fee? It costs them money to process. Why should they have to shoulder the cost of being tax collectors for the gov.

MrP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭beolight

stopping using UPS /FED EX as a shipper a while ago

after shipping a pallet of goods from usa 41 boxes in total

you guessed:(

41 multiply by 15 euros handling charge on top of customs and vat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

Got a package from Fedex today - value €353.
    Fedex delivery man asked me for a signature...nothing else.

No tax or extra charges at the doorstep.
    I was expexting to pay about €100.

I must have been lucky or Irish customs are sleeping again.

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Liam90

i bought some items from america and was charged 48 euro tax but i have bought from the same company several times before and have not been charged tax, why this time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

bought items from america online that cost me $450 (which appeared as E300 on my credit card bill) delivered by ups took 4 days and they charged me
    E103 tax
    had i have bought the same stuff here it would have cost me 745 euro so i thought this was excellent even with this extra tax.

Advertisement