Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Critique, sure why not!

Options
  • 21-12-2006 10:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

Thought I'd put up one of my latest sites, a freebie for a mate, just to get some opinions really, and maybe help me with a couple of little niggles like the horizontal scroll bar (pretty sure thats to do with the iframe) and the radio.blog not playing...I think the only possibility there is an issue with my hosting (blacknight package).

So, lemme have it! Bearing in mind I spent very little time on it, being a favour!

www.edtierney.com

Cheers!

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I think you can ditch the table and just make better use of divs.

Probably less of the old " " too ;)

Can't see at a glance what's causing the horizontal scroll, but my money is on one of the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Mirror wrote:
    I think the only possibility there is an issue with my hosting (blacknight package).
    !

Just to test this I shoved up a simple page to test this on one of our servers and it worked first time.

The only thing that was different is that I set it up on a linux server and not on Windows...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

That spells pretty crappy news for me then, I'm not gonna be changing server any time soon...

Over all impression of the site though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Laslo

Mirror wrote:
    Over all impression of the site though?

Use lowercase tags. Don't use  's or <br/>'s for layout/creating space. The navigation should be an unordered list. Why are you using H3 and then h5? Trying starting at H1 and then cascading down.

Laslo wrote:
    Use lowercase tags. Don't use  's or <br/>'s for layout/creating space. The navigation should be an unordered list. Why are you using H3 and then h5? Trying starting at H1 and then cascading down.
    Thanks for the input Laslo, just sorted the <br/>'s and  's issue. Gonna get on to the <ul> for nav later, and then look at doing some new classes for the h tags.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

Mirror wrote:
    the horizontal scroll bar (pretty sure thats to do with the iframe)

The horizontal scrolling has nothing to do with the iFrame, it's the following CSS rule:
    #nav_bar {
       position: absolute;
       left: 140px;
       top: 1em;
       color:#505050;
       width: 100%;
       font:76% Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,sans-serif;
    }

In this case, you have set the div to be 100% width (i.e. the width of the entire page) and then you have shifted that div left 140px, so that's the exact amount of horizontal scrolling you are going to get.

Instead of absolutely positioning everything, you should be using floated divs to structure everything, but that's for another day. To fix this, you can change the rule above to:
    #nav_bar {
       position: absolute;
       padding-left: 140px;
       top: 1em;
       color:#505050;
       font:76% Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,sans-serif;
    }

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

try this css for your header:
    #header {width: 100%;height: 165px;/*clear:both;*/}
    #logo {background: url(images/logo.jpg) top left no-repeat;margin:0 auto;width:110px;height: 160px; float:left;}
    /***** Header *****/
    #nav_bar {float:left;top: 1em;color:#505050;
    /*font:76% Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,sans-serif;*/
    /*you don't need this as is already in the body style */
    }

for the top links you can use » instead of >

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

There seems to be a lot of whitespace on the page. The menu links don't feel attached to the content because of the big gap between them. Im using 1280x1024 screen resolution on windows xp with firefox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

&nbsp&nbsp>&nbsp is in there a lot.

Instead of using ">" you can use ">"

So, "&nbsp&nbsp>&nbsp" should be replaced with "&nbsp&nbsp>&nbsp"

This way when you validate it the validator isn't reading this as a tag being closed.

Done, done and done! Cheers guys, I appreciate the input! I've rectified all the issues pointed out!

@ axer

I haven't seen it on that high a resolution, but Ed just wanted a simple straightforward site with no frills, easy to navigate and use. I can't see how to provide that to someone viewing at 800x600 or 1024x768 without making it look more cluttered in order to make it look more "full" on a higher resolution again. Any suggestions?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Hey sorry to go off topic but seeing as yis are the masters at this stuff..

That scroller problem is happening to me too. It's really annoying and it's not just happening on one particular website. Right now it's staying where it is but sometimes it goes crazy scrolling down/up and it won't let me stay at one point on the page.

I'm using Internet Explorer - just as I've used all the time.

You'll have to provide more than that I'm afraid. A URL for the website or the code, preferably the URL.

Advertisement