Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Sore Back

Options
  • 21-12-2006 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

At the age of 35 I finally got a car and started to drive just over a week ago. Thing is that my lower back has gotten really painful, so much so that it is uncomfortable walking and sleeping. However driving seems to give it some relief.

Has anyone ever had the same problem and is there anything I can do?

Regards,

Michael O'Leary
    www.iewto.org

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

just drive everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Go to a doctor?

Do your car seats have lumbar support? There's a handle on the side of my driver's seat that adjusts it, might make it more comfortable for you.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

IIRC I don't there are any car seats that are good for your back really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 ferdi2000

get some nice supportive cobra seats or recaro seats from www.rtecshop.com heheh

or...... get some softer suspension.. and see ya doc! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭scargill

are you a learner driver / nervous ? Are you hunched over the steering wheel and tense when driving ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Hi all,

At the age of 35 I finally got a car and started to drive just over a week ago. Thing is that my lower back has gotten really painful, so much so that it is uncomfortable walking and sleeping. However driving seems to give it some relief.

Has anyone ever had the same problem and is there anything I can do?

Regards,

Michael O'Leary
    www.iewto.org
    I was expecting your sig to be www.ryanair.com :p

I don't understand, you say you have started driving in the last week for the first time and your back is hurting but driving relieves it?

Go see a chiropractor. I can recommend a great one in Kilcullen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

As lord and master of backpain I would have a couple of suggestions:

1) Don't go to a chiropractor, see a physio
    2) Check your posture in your seated position. While it's nice to have variable lumbar support in your seat, chances are your car doesn't have them. What you need to make sure of is that the seat isn't back so far that you're in F1 driver position! It should be just beyond 90 degrees so that you are sitting straight. If the headrest is adjustable, raise and tilt it forward to the leveol of the back of your head. Make sure that you distance yourself from the steering wheel so that your arms are slightly bent when you hold the wheel.

Have a leaflet! http://www.wpta.org/graphics/WPTA%20Driving%20posture%20flier1.pdf

I had chronic back pain for 10yrs and no physio could sort it.

Chiropractor sorted it this year in the space of 3 months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭scargill

I had chronic back pain for years and I'm not sure who made it worse the physio or the Chiropractor !! That's backs for you.

suppose it depends on the problem...mine was with my sciatic nerve.
    Physio just relieved the pain but never fixed the problem. Chiro got to the root and fixed it properly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

This might sound daft, but try taking your wallet out of your back pocket when you're driving.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Fey! wrote:
    This might sound daft, but try taking your wallet out of your back pocket when you're driving.....

From my experience, if the OP keeps going to the chiropracter, he will be able to leave his wallet in his back pocket.... it will be so thin, it certainly wont cause any problem. Oh and by the way, he'll still have the backpain!:D

On a serious note, all car seats can cause some back discomfort. It will probably ease as the back gets used to the position. Keep the weight to a normal level and keep exercising, walking or whatever suits. It will help with back pain as the muscles strengthen. Well, it eased mine anyway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

What make of car is it? I've found in the past that the Japanese marques tend not to have particularly supportive seats(unless third party Recaros etc).

I would personally recommend Recaro seats for back trouble. Expensive yes, but very very good seats in that respect. I started to get some small back pain with my last car and since I've gone to Recaros the pain has gone completely. If you let this get worse you may end up spending more. I found Cobras not so good at least for me. Corbeaus were useless IMHO.

BTW mikedragon32's advice is top notch.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

When I switched from my previous car (Mitsubishi Mirage with not-really-adjustable-but-still-fairly-comfortable seats) to my current Passat, I too found my back getting very sore - although in my case it was after having driven for a while.

Once I played with the lumbar support settings though I found it much better..in fact, now she's a lot more comfy for longer trips than the Mirage ever was.

Advertisement