Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help!

Options
  • 22-12-2006 12:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

Right folks,

My new import from Japan has arrived & am currently getting it transported to me from Dublin, however the transporter rang me tonight & said that they can't get it started!:(

They collected it from the docks (so it must have started there) and brought it to their depot. But since he can't get it started now he says they can't get it onto the lorry to bring it to me.

He said they tried jump-starting it & even put petrol in but to no avail. The car has turbo & I'm attaching a pic of the box that's in the car. I'm wondering would this have anything to do with it? Do they have to press any of the buttons on this to start the car? (I'm asking as I have looked at a turbo-ed Skyline a while ago & I couldn't take the key out of the ignition until the turbo had been switched off via the box in the attached pic).

Any help/advice much appreciated. I'd like to have my baby for christmas;)

Cheers & Merry Christmas to all.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Tanabe

Right. Turns out the problem is the immobilizer. Anybody know much about these? I really need to get this car going on it's way to me:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Theres a chip in the key, if somehow take is missing then the immobilser wont which off.

I dropped my keys once on the floor, broke into pieces, never noticed the blue chip fell out, went back to the car after shopping car wouldnt start, orange light on dash of a car and a spanner, kept trying to start it till electrical smoke appeared.

Rang for a tow, the key needed to be reprogrammed.

Edit: 400e in total. Tow to Opel Garage and Opels fee for re-programming the key.

Rip off.

Can they not push the car to the low loader and then winch it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Tanabe

OMG! That was a sore experience:eek:

I asked him yesterday could they not just push the car like you said but he said "no". Maybe I'm just getting the run around this time of year!

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

It is unlikely that anyone will be able to offer any real advice without knowing the make, model and year.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I rerckon it's a Nissan 180

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Something is a bit fishy here. An aquaintance of mine works in the Japanese car import business. All the imported vehicles are driven onto and off the boats. How did it get to the depot and why (as has been stated) can't the transport firm winch it onto the truck??

I've heard stories of the lads in the docks nicking bits off cars when they're waiting for their owners. Heard of a lad who went to collect his MR2 and it was up on blocks, it obviously had wheels to say it got off the boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

colm_mcm wrote:
    I've heard stories of the lads in the docks nicking bits off cars when they're waiting for their owners. Heard of a lad who went to collect his MR2 and it was up on blocks, it obviously had wheels to say it got off the boat.
    That may have been an exaggeration but non-essential stuff does go astray. Apparently, in Japan, many 4x4s come with many extras such as an additional set of wheels with snow tyres fitted. They are stored in the back but seem to disappear unbeknownst to the new owner. As for 4x4 front winches.......

That was the worst story I've heard, but apparently bits like stereos and VTEC/MIVEC controllers growing legs and walking is quite common.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

The turbotimer would have nothing to do with the car starting,and unless there's an aftermarket alarm i would seriously doubt any immobilisor problems as there should be none on it as standard.

Could be moisture at the plugs or flooded,chances are the car was driven quickly off and left there so its not uncommon.Dunno why they couldnt push it onto the truck for you.

Looks like its unfortunatly a late christmas present for yourself unless you found some way of getting it home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I saw this weird aftermarket immobiliser on a March - there's this little metal thing (might be on the keyring) you have to put against some sensor on the dashboard for the ignition to work. Maybe it's something like that?

Advertisement