Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Timber Frame Homes

• 22-12-2006 1:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

We have been looking at the option of building a timber frame home and have contacted century homes for a rough idea of price. The prices which they quote on the net they have told me to multiply by 4 for the final build price. Has anyone had any dealings with them or a similar company and know if this is a correct guideline?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,511 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Its a how long is a piece of string question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

As it happens my build worked out at pretty much a multiple of 4 of the frame cost, (slightly under in fact), but that would be with pretty standard finishes.

As victor says it can be pretty much a case of "how long is a piece of string"

My build with direct labour ended up at about €50/sq.ft. but start adding complex roofs and other design features and increasing the standard of finishes and you can end up at €150/sq.ft. or more.

The only way to get an accurate price on your build is to give your drawings to a Quantity surveyor detailing the finishes you desire and they can cost it out for you...

invest4deepvalue.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Meclor

Thanks guys. Still in two minds whether to go down the timber frame route or not. Budget is our main concern and I am hoping that the timber frame will work out cheaper. Anyone know of any other company which does timber frame or a compmay which offers house plans online?

I think you need to stand back and look at the costs of your house over it's entire lifetime rather than just looking at what will be the cheapest way to build it.

A decision on a short term saving in build costs could result in a huge additional long term running cost.

Fossil fuels are a finite resource and the expectaions (reasonable IMO) are that over the next 10 years we will see huge energy price inflation.

I would suggest that you do some research on "passive houses" i.e. super insulated houses that require no heating systems. Do a search here on boards, there is quite a bit of discussion on this in the "Gardening and DIY" and "Green issues" forums.

Look at ICF's (Insulated concrete formwork) as another alternative building method.

Talk to an Energy consultant.

You will only get one shot at doing it right, so educate yourself to get the best possible solution for your needs.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Timber frame costs about €15 per sq foot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

Does the 4x include the cost of the site? I presume not.

testicle wrote:
    Does the 4x include the cost of the site? I presume not.

No, not the site, but includes groundwork, foundations etc. mine was a serviced site with mains water and sewer connections at the footpath.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,800 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

You're looking at it all wrong.

I work for such a company, and was asked the same thing on the phone, yesterday.....

First, a std costing for 'builders finish' including the kit and all the other work - i.e., basic, no kitchen/tiles etc, is Eur90 per sq foot. Or, Eur968 per sq metre, take your pick.

A std finish will be in the Eur125/sq foot region, and the sky's the limit after that...

Do remember though,that the TF house will cost less to run over time, so don't get be 'penny wise/pound foolish' at this stage - it'd cost a lot more to modify, later........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement