Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Did you go back out with your ex?

• 22-12-2006 1:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

I was reading a few posts recently,on the personal and a couple more about getting back out with ex gf/bf's.

Anyway it kinda got me thinking,after i split up with my gf a nice while ago,
    we said to each other we'll meet again someday,of course after all the pain and misery i got over it and never gave it another thought till now.I seen a lot
    of posts about how couples split up but remained 'good friends' or 'sex buddies'.

It reminded me of a friend of mine who's gf split with him and after 8 months they were still texting and he said they were still good friends(this only happened recently).Anyway he convinced me that they were good friends and then one night him and i were having a good laugh and then i saw his ex with another bloke i didnt think anything of it until i saw his face,immeditaly he said he was going to the jacks and i did'nt see him again for the night.

I know he never text her again after that but i really did feel pity for him.
    Anyway the question i wanna ask,did anybody go back out with their ex's,
    i read somewhere that people that actually go back out with ex's usually end up getting married!

Just got me thinking....Strange...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

It's rare, and I think we all live in hope. I did with one ex, but it was a case of "We're together, but we're not". So we'd go out as a Couple, do dinners, sleep together, but not go to each others houses, or introduce ourselves as a couple. Weird, and Head Wrecking.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

No, never have...maybe never will. I prefer to lose contact with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Backtoblack

I have done twice now, and both times have been a mistake ( 2 different x's)
    .. For me I think the lesson is that you can only work so hard to make something work, after that you're just wasting your time.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Not really..

Dont think I ever would really!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

No I never do. It causes too much heartbreak in the first place and I wouldn't like to go through the same thing again with the same person.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Never have and never would, too many bad memories so I cut off contact, worked for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭~nop~

Can't say I wouldn't like to in some cases though I have to say, though you're generally better off not. It's pretty awful anyway but you just tend to feel so comfortable with them and share so many memories that it seems a lot more appealing than all this starting anew stuff a lot of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

Yes, but there was/is unfinished business in that relationship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

I did, was broken up for about 4 months, but got back together with her. That was about a year and a half ago.

I have done twice now, and both times have been a mistake ( 2 different x's)
    .. For me I think the lesson is that you can only work so hard to make something work, after that you're just wasting your time.

ditto lesson learned each time though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭giddyup

I did....we're married 5 years now. Couldn't let her go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Jamey

Been on and off with a girl now for over 7 months. We first broke up about 3 months ago and have been back together twice. It's off now. I've seen her with other lads and it really hurts. She still texts me and says she cant get over me and she loves me etc...i feel the same but I'm trying to fight getting back with her again so that I can move on but this time but it's proving real hard.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

No!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I've been seeing an ex for a short while now, nothing too serious tbh, maybe it will be someday or maybe not but just taking it slow at the moment (she was an ex for a reason afterall). First time I've done it though and its going alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭pantar_dubh

No way Jose!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I've done it.

It was like an addiction I couldn't give up, then one night I just said 'feck this, I don't need this shyte' and broke off all contact.

Best thing I ever did tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Had the chance to a couple of times, never bothered with it though. Not worth the hassle. I mean if you put yourself through the hassle of getting over someone, why get under them again? That's my moto. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Normally it doesn't work.

I got back with an ex and now we're married.

You'll never know unless you go!

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭dvega

I think it really depends how and why ye broke up in the 1st place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

Only for sex.
    TK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭cujimmy

I did. Met her again after 2 years and married her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

I did once, I don't recommend it.
    Whatever the reason for breaking up in the first place is probably still there, if not more so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

had a bit of an on-again-off-again thing a couple of years ago. tbh, it was more hassle than it was worth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

Na never have and doubt I ever would , they be Ex`s for a reason as far as Im concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Mrs_Doyle

I am going out with my ex right now, and have been doing so for nearly 3 years.
    We originally hooked up in 2002, split in the summer and 2003, were apart for about 6 months, then we started dating again, and properly got back together early in 2004.

We broke up cos it was long distance, we both lived with our parents, didn't have cars, and were pretty young.
    I am glad we split though.
    In the time we were apart I had a girly holiday, and I was seeing a couple of lads, as well as enjoying the single life.
    My boyfriend did similar.
    Anyhow, by the time we hooked up again we had grown up, experienced life, and other partners, and knew for sure that we wanted to be with each other.

It genuinely worked for us, and please God we will be together for a long time to come!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I've done it twice.

The first time was after a long termer, which ended reasonably amicably. Hadn't seen her in ages, but then bumped into her in a night club one night. Didn't even say hi, we just started snogging.

The other time was after a not-so-serious relationship, which also ended reasonably well. Walked her home after the pub one night and she hopped on me. I wasn't resisting though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Yes, as I said on the other post, will be married to him by this time next Friday :D I would not reccomend it but if you are meant to be together you will be, we have had some very horrific splits but in the end of the day we are best friends and we love one another, we both drive one another batty, we can hurt one another like no-one else but we work and we are totally in love and crazy about each other, no one else is as good as him and no one ever could be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭free2fly

Had an on-again-off-again relationship of 2 1/2 years once. It was total hell and I never do it again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

No. Went through too much **** after splitting with them to go near them again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Nope, more content with my daily dosage of cornflakes drenched in ice cold milk. Betta off IMO, x for a reason etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Yep - much the same as Daiixi, a breakup of circumstance, followed by a reunion of circumstance (and then another breakup of circumstance, doh!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

rb_ie wrote:
    I've been seeing an ex for a short while now, nothing too serious tbh, maybe it will be someday or maybe not but just taking it slow at the moment (she was an ex for a reason afterall). First time I've done it though and its going alright.
    Lol, so much for that.

Remembered why exactly she was an ex, had a talk and we decided that it was best that it went no further. Oh well, new year, new start :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,037 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

dvega wrote:

i read somewhere that people that actually go back out with ex's usually end up getting married!

Just got me thinking....Strange...

I broke up with my girfriend and didnt see her for 10 years. We got back together again and are married now. So its true.... and Strange.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

My tra la la attidute has lead to numerous occasions with one particular ex, its fun no one makes anything off it. All the other ex's can feck off though, goddamn psycho's :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Depends how long we dated, for example there's some peeps out there who call me their 'ex', but i don't regard them as an 'ex' as I feel we weren't together long enough or it just didn't mean that much to me, so I can be friends with them... not someone I had strong feelings for though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement