Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

problem connecting to the internet using a zyxel broadband modem and a linksys router

Options
  • 22-12-2006 1:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi All,
    First time on boards and looking for some help..

I just bought a linksys wireless router to connect to my Zyxel 623r-t1 modem and i cannot get it to connect to the internet. this is the second linksys router i have bought in the last 3 days ( returned the first one as i thought it was faulty) but the second one still will not connect.

i have followed all instructions and also plugged in my BT ireland username and password into the Linksys router selecting PPPOE as the connection type but cant get on the internet.

I have tried the linksys support and although very helpful they didnt solve the problem.

i am wondering if there is something quirky either about the zyxel modem or my BT broadband connection that is causing the problem. the modem works perfectly when connected directly to the PC.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to solve this before i have to bring a second router back to PC world !

Thanks for your help,
    Bobby

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

Hi bobby,

What is the model of the Linksys? Sounds like an IP address problem. When the ZyXEL is connected to your PC, (i presume you are using windows XP?), click start, run. In the text box, type cmd /k ipconfig. A black box will appear and a list of numbers. Make note of the IP address and default gateway. It will be something like 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.1.1 or .254.

Now, for your linksys to talk to the ZyXEL, it must be set to the same IP range, i.e, 192.168.0 or what ever the ZyXEL is set to. Linksys 'usually' use 192.168.1 range, but you may need to change it to talk to your ZyXEL.

If you follow so far, reply back with the linksys model and the IP info about the ZyXEL, and we'll take it from there.

forgot to ask...are you using the linksys purely for wireless?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 markkilpatrick

To use the linksys to handle the PPPoE conection you will need to change the mode of the zyxel to bridge rather than routing. This can be done in wan settings of the zyxel config page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Bobby2044

thank you both so much for your help - mark your suggestion about changing the zyzel to bridge worked a treat. its a pity the router companies dont offer this as a suggestion or in their manuals - it would of saved me hours of messing around.. anyway thanks again for your help,

cheers
    Bobby

Advertisement